Quality of Living worldwide city rankings

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by WildRose, Nov 29, 2011.

1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

2011 Quality of Living worldwide city rankings:
    http://www.mercer.com/qualityoflivingpr#city-rankings
  2. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

So many of the top-ranked cities are outrageously expensive.
  3. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Quality of life doesn't come cheap.
  4. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

But Milan is 42nd and NOT cheap :drama: (I actually didn't expect it to be on that list at all...)
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Not a single U.S. city made the top 50 places for personal safety. :yikes: Now, where is my pepper spray...
  6. LynnW

LynnW Politiking for Purple

Being added to your local school's lunch menu as a food group? :saint:
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Honolulu is #29; San Francisco is #30 and Boston 3 more places down.

Still it's disheartening that I had to wait until #29 a US city appeared on the list.
  8. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Overall yes, but on the second list specifically for personal safety there's none.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I just read the details but I still don't know all the criteria that were used. San Francisco is a beautiful city that I love to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there- an outrageously expensive but tiny home, earthquakes, and all the economic problems..........I know better cities. Actually a few of them are in the San Francisco bay area. I would rather live in -for example- San Jose, than in San Francisco.

Boston has its own issues too- high cost of living, tough winters.

I know very few of the top cities mentioned, but I have been to Vancouver, and I do believe it deserves its high ranking.

About personal safety- the USA is considered unsafe because of the high crime rate and easy access to guns, so I am not surprised that we don't see a single US city in the top 50 for personal safety.

I am hoping to visit Vienna in the next couple of years, and it's nice to see that city at the top of the list.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Melbourne is number 18 :)
    AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Melbourne is the most liveable city in the world ;)
  12. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I don't want to offend any Austrians here, but I was in Vienna last month. The inner part is crowded and very expensive and the Austrians in general were not the friendliest people I've ever met, to put it mildly. I'd rather live in Washington than Vienna!

Geneva's gorgeous but ridiculously expensive. In most of those cities, you get a great standard of living with an income way above median. I'd like to see a ranking of best cities based on value, worldwide.
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My Toronto made it to #15! hehehe Yay! :cheer2:
  14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Chicago and DC made it to #43, NYC is at #47. The US cities seem to be tightly clustered around the bottom portion of the top 50.
  15. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Illegal to carry without a permit in most cities where you really NEED it. (Though as my brother's boss, who walks from a train stop to a bus stop in Harlem on his way home, and his boss's wife, who's lived in NYC all her life, note, there is absolutely nothing illegal about just happening to have a can of oven cleaner on you...)

DC's crime rate is both going down, and deceptive--I'd be more than fine walking across all of Northwest at 1am. Anywhere around the main government buildings is always lit, always occupied, always with some sort of law enforcement or military around. I wouldn't go deep into Anacostia alone in broad daylight. NYC, forget it alone in some areas, and certain parts of Boston are terrifying.

Detroit I'm actually not overworried about--I can carry in Michigan, and people KNOW that anyone they go after at mimimum might have pepper spray and a little pea-shooter of a gun. Don't start no trouble, won't be no trouble. In Boston, they know for sure you can't do a damn thing to stop them. (The city plan for citizen self-defence is "call 911 and die.") We had a couple areas when I was doing real estate where our boss simply wouldn't take listings, and he required all agents (especially women) to meet clients at our offices and never go anywhere alone or go with someone who made us feel uncomfortable.
  16. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

This is what they based it on

and I suspect the last one is why you don't see any US cities.
  17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's where I wonder how Vancouver rates so highly. All we hear on the news over the past few years is how local law enforcement mishandled the Stanley Cup riots last June, and several high profile crimes before that, including a mass murder case that continues to make headlines. The city also has massive tracts inhabited by the homeless, drug addicts and prostitutes. Those are of course issues in many (most?) cities, but Vancouver is one of the few I've been to where it's such a big part of the fabric of the city, and frankly, quite scary.
  18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure how that happened. Maybe that's why Toronto's budget is so out of whack. They paid someone to get so high on the list. :p
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

"Massive tracts" inhabited by the homeless? I live here, and apart from Downtown East Side, which is a relatively small part of the city and still gentrifying fast from three directions, I'd be interested in hearing where you mean.

Like most places that are (relatively) temperate, there are more homeless young people here than in places where they'd freeze to death on the streets, and despite all of issues the police department has, harassing panhandlers is something I've witnessed only when the person is extremely aggressive. I'm sure it happens, but it's not out in the open the way I've seen in other cities, including Seattle.
  20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Shouldn't have used the plural I guess. I'm thinking specifically of the very long stretch between downtown and the rink where several skating events have been held. It's an awful, sad area. That's in addition to the more aggressive homeless and disadvantaged I've seen downtown. I've never been to Seattle, but the only other city I've seen that even comes close to what I've seen in Vancouver is San Francisco.

I'm sure Vancouver has it's strong points too, but I'm just surprised that it tends to rank highly on these sorts of surveys when the city's problems are out there in plain sight.
  21. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

But the average salary is MUCH higher and offsets it :)

I'd be VERY interested in the criteria, because I've lived in 5 of the cities on the list and I certainly wouldn't put them in that order.

I wouldn't have Brussels on the list at all, to be honest :shuffle:
  22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

One reason that Vancouver might rank highly is that the stretch of Hastings, the main drag on the way to the arena, between the eastern border of downtown and, most conservatively Commercial Drive, about 1.3 km long, only at a superficial glance represents the city. (More realistically, the border is Hawks, where the single occupancy hotels stop; between there and Commercial, about .5 km, is mostly industrial, since it is so close to the waterfront, but neither scary nor rough.) After Commercial Drive, which is another 2 km or so from the arena (Renfrew), Hastings is full of markets, shops, and has few homeless people on the streets. (Services and outdoor drug markets tend to center around four blocks much closer to city center.)

Go one block south of Hastings for most of it, and the neighborhoods tell a different story. South of the worst of the worst is a thriving Chinatown. Go directly east of Chinatown, and the tiny townhouse across the street where I used to live in the mostly owner-occupied Strathcona neighborhood, sold for almost $700K in this down market; rising costs were much to the chagrin of artists and artisans who were forced out over almost a decade ago. I think there's one small low-income housing project left in the entire neighborhood. That was two blocks away, and never a problem.
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I had the opposite experience. It was during the 2006 Olympics so it wasn't too crowded. People went out of their way to be helpful -- two different times people didn't just give us directions to where we were going, they walked us there to make sure we found it.
  24. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I have been to Vienna and didn’t find the people cold but I did find them patrician. Everyone in the city could have posed for a Talbots advertisement.

It is a very clean and pretty city and even though it is boring as far as big cities go – I could probably be happy living there.
  25. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well living in Australia I am extremely offended .... oh wait you said Austria. :D
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  26. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Somebody didn't say "Gruss gott" enough. Rookie mistake. ;)

Define value. Without measuring it in terms of the exchange rate being good with the dollar. :p
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This ranking is pretty much useless to anyone outside its target demographic of the 1%. :p
  28. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Considering how many homeless people there are in Vancouver, I'm pretty sure Vancouver would top a "Quality of Living Worldwide for really poor folks" City rankings list too.
  29. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Vienna and Vancouver definitely deserve to be at the top of these rankings - from the cities I've lived in, Vancouver would actually be #1. Jenny and I must have seen different cities. ;)

I'm surprised the Japanese cities are so low on the "safety" list. I've never felt as safe as I did in Japan. I wonder how they weighed the "crime levels" when comparing a megalopolis like Tokyo to small towns of less than 200'000 people (Bern/Geneva).
  30. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

I also don't understand their Personal Safety Ranking as they rate Calgary and Montreal higher than Ottawa and Toronto just a notch below...
  31. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Those are on the Quality of Living list. I was referring to the Personal Safety list which is below the QOL list.
  32. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Beating Montreal by 7 spots. Hmmph. :drama: :p
  33. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

One isolated riot that was relatively quickly contained and one mass murderer doesn't impact general quality of living indexes.

The Downtown East Side is really a very small area. There are other pockets of homelessness throughout the Vancouver area but they are relatively hidden from public view. The homeless here are largely an invisible population and most people who live here rarely give them a thought (sadly). There are beggars in your face in some parts of the city and beggars holding signs at major intersections. You just get used to it (again, sadly). The reason there are so many homeless here is that it's easier to live outside in Vancouver's climate than in the cold climates anywhere else in Canada - though poor social policy on the part of the provincial governments has exacerbated the problem (a third sadly).

I question why Vancouver is so high on the list because it's real estate prices are totally outrageous. Good for those who bought their home way back when or made half a million or more buying and selling real estate during the market boom. But everyone else pays a whole lot to live in what would be tiny shoebox space anywhere else in the country.

Yes, it's beautiful here. But it's cold and wet for 10 months of the year too. IMO Winnipeg offers far higher quality of life. Same is probably true of most other small Canadian cities.

Too cold for me though. I prefer the dark and rain.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This ranking doesn't take the cost of living into consideration.

It's not meant for the general public. Its target demographic is very high earners.
  35. Ania

Ania Active Member

Well, Pittsburgh made the list and it's a very affordable city. Luckily for me!
  36. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Personal Safety Rankings are absurd. Four or five cities from the same city are clustered together, suggesting that extrinsic factors (such as the respective countries' international relations, as mentioned above) are given weight all out of proportion to their actual effects on personal safety in particular communities.

As for the Quality of Living rankings, I would only note that the food in Milan (#42) and Paris and San Francisco (joint #30) is miles better than the food in Vienna (#1), Munich (#4), and Amsterdam (#12). :shuffle:
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  37. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

:p to you too, the Euro isn't exactly off the charts lately.

I'd define value as getting the most amenities for a relatively achievable standard of living/income. Which lets out NY, London, San Fran, Geneva....

Then there are countries where the rent is high but the social safety net is thick, like the Scandinavian countries.

I dunno. Cities where middle-class (there's that dangerous concept again) people can live reasonably safely without spending 50% of their income on housing.
  38. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Grand Forks?
  39. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Milan is 42nd, and the food might be good, but everything else is just crappy.
  40. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I'm not surprised American cities are so low on the list. Who wants to be indoctrinated with americanism. It'd make you sick.