putting CD information on a computer without a CD drive?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by woodstock, Jun 13, 2010.

1. woodstock

woodstock New Member

I'm thinking of upgrading my 35G hard drive laptop to a 500G laptop. (Plus people have called my computer a dinosaur). Anyway, I have some CD-roms for work, seminars/educational and such data. How would I transfer them onto the new computer for use? And would they take up all the hard drive space?

Thanks!
  2. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

It is. :saint:

I'm assuming your old computer has a UB drive (it has too). Buy a flash memory stick, put in the CD in the CD drive in your old computer, put the memory stick in the UB drive and copy the content of the CD/s onto the memory stick. You can do it many times, it doesn't have to be a big memory stick that could contain all the CD data at once.

I use Kingston Traveler memory sticks, 8 GB is goes for $15 on Amazon.com. 16 GB for $26.95.

It depends on how many CDs you want to copy. One CD is around 700 MB. Do the math.

Btw, how come your new computer is not going to have a CD drive? Are they becoming obsolete or something? (I know the DVD ones are).
  3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

WindSpirit beat me to it, but another alternative is to get an external CD drive which also connects to your laptop via USB. You can probably get one for aobut the same price as a memory stick. You could then copy the CD directly to your computer and you wouldn't need access to a second computer.

WindSpirit, I don't think CDs are quite obsolete yet, but they're probably getting there, partly thanks to memory sticks. But more importantly, eliminating the CD drive allows for smaller, lighter laptops with bigger hard drives.
  4. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Still, memory sticks are nowhere near the CDs when it comes to durability. Never ever permanently store anything important on memory sticks.

Yeah, it would, but I can't imagine having a computer/laptop without an optical drive. For now at least. Blue-ray is supposed to rule the next couple of years. It reads regular DVDs (as well as CDs, I think), so don't throw them out just yet. ;)
  5. mkats

mkats New Member

Is there going to be a CD drive on your docking station, maybe, if the laptop is really small/light? I have a Lenovo X41 and it's nice to have a tiny flat piece I can easily carry around everywhere in one hand, but still be able to plug in a CD if I need it.
  6. woodstock

woodstock New Member

Thanks all for the info! I'm thinking of getting the HP TouchSmart tm2t series, so it has no CD drive. And I don't have a docking station (right now I have a dell inspiron 600m). What I might do is just get an external CD/DVD, looks like they run about $30 USD, so not too bad. Then I'll try to put the discs onto the hard drive, if they don't take much space. And if they do, then I'll just use the separate drive as needed.
  7. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Can you just share network folders, click and drag? I did so from my old laptop to my newer desktop.