Proper puctuation question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cupid, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Would you type the following phrase as either:

non-co-owner occupants

OR

non co-owner occupants

Normally, if I'm typing a word beginning with non, I would use the hyphen afterwards, such as "non-profit". I wouldn't type "non profit".

Thanks much.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I wouldn't leave a space. Prefixes like non- and co- are parts of the whole word, not separate words.

Close up non to the following word in most cases, but if your style requires a hyphen rather than closing up co- to owner to avoid confusion with the double o, then hyphenate the other prefix as well, as in your first example.

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'd type it as "nonprofit" -- no hyphen and no space. :shuffle:

As for your original question, I'd use non co-owner occupants.

4. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

My insticts say "non co-owner occupants" is correct.

How about just writing the phrase "Non-Occupant Co-Owners" ? It solves the question of how to spell it and flows a little better IMO.

5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Are you talking about people who live in the suite or wherever, but who aren't co-owners of the suite?
    I would write it as "non-co-owner occupants", since all three modifiers apply to the occupants. But if it's acceptable for whatever you're writing this for, why not "non-owner occupants", unless the co-ownership is an important part.

6. skatingfan5

Non-occupant co-owners doesn't have the same meaning as non co-owner occupants. The former are not occupants, the latter are.

7. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm talking about condo co-owners (that's generally what they are called) who don't actually live in the unit but are renting/leasing it out to another person.

I've decided to type it as "non co-owner occupant." Non-co-owner occupant just looks wrong.

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Is there a prior distinction between owners and co-owners? If not, just write non-owner occupants. If you need the distinction, try non-owner/co-owner occupants/

9. skatingfan5

It seems that I have misunderstood what you meant by "non co-owner occupant" because "non co-owner" is the modifier of "occupant" as you have written it. Bostonfan's "non-occupant co-owner" actually seems to be what you are meaning to say, if you are referring to the co-owners and not the occupants (those leasing the condo).

10. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I am not sure what you are writing, but can you get around the issue by using a sentence like: the co-owners of the unit do not occupy the unit.

Or if you are talking about the occupants: the occupants of the unit do not own the unit.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'd say "non-co-owner," because "non" isn't a word by itself. (At least not in English.) It's a prefix.

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

This is one where you really need an office style guide to know what would be considered "correct," but this is what I would go with.

The only other option is to eliminate the hyphens and make it all one word, which is the modern preference, but the resulting word is very hard to read.

13. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

"renters"?

Cupid and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I am going to try using "renter occupants," but if that is not acceptable, then maybe I'll just use the "non-co-owner occupants" because like someone said above, "non" is not a word on its own.

Thank you, everyone!