Project Runway Starts Tonight (7/24/2014)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 24, 2014.

1. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

I may get flak for this, but I don't see why I should automatically appreciate what Sandhya makes because of her culture. It's nice to see designers use their heritage or other meaningful stories as inspiration; but that doesn't necessarily make it good work or that anyone who doesn't like it is culturally ignorant. Sandhya's perspective is interesting, but a lot of the criticism towards her has been reasonable. It isn't just "I don't get this because it doesn't scream 'Murica!"

As far as the team challenge, the others may have been harsh towards Sandhya, but she also came off as stubborn and not the easiest person to work with. I thought her running to Tim instead of trying to deal with it on her own was a little immature as well. I've seen much worse conflicts on PR without contestants claiming bullying and getting him involved.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

^ That's all fair enough.

As for the team challenge, I feel like she has at least tried to reach a consensus by suggesting for the designers to create their designs and then try to work together to make them coherent. But then Hernan said: 'No, you do what I say.'

Of course the program is so heavily edited, we can't be sure of what exactly has happened.

3. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

That's true too. I couldn't really tell if one person was leading that group's dysfunction or if they all played a part in it. And to be fair to them all, team challenge + unconventional materials + one person with immunity was bound to be a difficult scenario.

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

there have been better designers from other cultures who didnt get the same ass kissing.

and she was treated like quite the special snowflake by tim in that team challenge. they have been way more contentious team challenges.

i dont like her designs at all, they remind me of dollar store christmas tree skirts. but it's the way they coddle her that has me hoping she gets off my tv.

skatemomaz and PrincessLeppard like this.
  5. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

In episode 2, Sandyha came across to me as a little passive/aggressive and quick to go running to Tim. It was almost as if she had watched too many of the later seasons of PR and decided that at the first hint of discontent in a team, she'd immediately speak out.

That said, I've really liked her designs so far (well, the two that won at least, but even the bottom 3 group look I liked better than her teammates'). They make me sit up and go, "wow, that looks really cool!" I've wanted to keep looking at them. Some of the other designers - well, I've liked some of their clothing, but more along the lines of, "huh, that's a sharp jumpsuit - seen it. Pretty skirt and top - interesting contrast of fabrics... but nothing new about the shape."

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

My problem is that she seems to lack the sewing skills necessary to execute her designs well.
    They seem sloppy to me.

snoopy likes this.
  7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

But the judges DO see them up close, so I can't imagine that they would allow shoddy craftsmanship to slide. Do you?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The judges did comment on the craftsmanship of the first episode piece not being as good as the other top three garments. She's either biting off more than she can chew or she indeed lacks sewing skills in comparison to the other contestants.

But even if that's the case, I wouldn't care that much. At the end of the day, being a designer is mainly about vision. It's not like Karl Lagerfeld actually hand-stitches the clothes he designs. He has a whole team of people doing that for him.

The quality of the execution should definitely be considered but just as one of the program components. ;)

9. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

She is fat, dark, and homely. She has to win sometimes.
    Don't you know affirmative action is still there, and so is social engineering?
    Let me guess, the next "beast" for the beauty Heidi Klum will be some ugly offspring of Che Guaevara, she has not opened her bedroom to latin america yet.

10. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Um, Mondo?

I guess my biggest point is how are her designs even Bollywood inspired?

Other than bright colors, I don't see very much Indian influence.

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see much of an Indian influence either. Martian maybe, but certainly not Indian.

12. Tinami Amori

Since I don't think that Klum lost her mind, I can only deduct that she is aiming for "social engineering"....... "we never had a top designer of Indian roots".... or something like that...

http://democracydiva.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/picture2life_29430_original.jpg
    Sandya Garg’s is one of the worst creations on this show, and one of the worst and most pointless examples of a 3-D fashion trend. And there are some odd ones out there…

http://tfiablog.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/screen-shot-2012-02-16-at-8-19-37-am.png

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...81341793248/Iris-van-Herpen---3D-fash-009.jpg

Alexandre McQueen knows how to make “life support tubes” look, if anything else, extravagant and creative…

http://www.feelguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Capriole4.jpg

http://www.feelguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Capriole3.jpg

And Sandya Garg’s stuff is what we call in Russia “heard a church bell ringing, but does not know from which church”.

And if an idiot copies Alexandre McQueen, one should at least not make it look like Bollywood Sci-Fi Joke of a movie Love Story 2050

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-S9dnE6xuaJE/T-3Wtbt3ZzI/AAAAAAAAAVU/AXQSZCBQkVo/s1600/lovestory1.jpg

http://drop.ndtv.com/albums/ENTERTAINMENT/scifimovies/lovestory2050.jpg

Plus, her collection that got her into the show is also nothing special.
    http://imgick.al.com/home/bama-media/pgmain/img/alphotos/photo/2014/07/24/-2095e07c845aaa73.jpg

http://flowerysam.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/screen-shot-2011-09-09-at-18-22-14.png?w=545&h=262

Her fashion concept all together is a cheap knock off from some fairly talented Indian fashion designer showing on the runways of Londong, Paris, Milan…..

Manish Arora

http://fashioninside.bg/wp-content/...ummer_2014_collection_Paris_Fashion_Week7.jpg

http://outfit4girls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/stylish-Manish-Arora-Collection-2014-11.jpg

http://cdn.fashionisers.com/wp-cont..._2014_2015_collection_Paris_Fashion_Week3.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fVAqTiuA3cU/UxNfRCsZWlI/AAAAAAABjes/t_zLXMP8JCs/s1600/Manish Arora2.jpg

13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Sorry, Ziggy, I just don't get the love. It was a basic shift with minimal color blocking and two strips of crap loosely stitched on. Take away the leather straps and slinkies, and all you have is a Home Ec 101 dress, the pattern for which you could find in any fabric shop.

skatemomaz and PDilemma like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I love the colours and the reference point not being western culture as you see in 99.9% of 'high-fashion.'

Because the straps are big, gold and three-dimensional, the dress has to be minimalistic otherwise it would be just way too much.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  15. Tinami Amori

The designer she is copying is even more "authentic" as far as "ethnic influences". It's not about influences in her clothing, it's about "design, creativity, and execution". Hers is not good.

16. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Fair enough; I just think that the slinky-straps were a bad choice in the first place. She made a boring dress to support ridiculous and unwearable embellishments. For a magazine that doesn't exactly showcase the cutting edge of fashion. In terms of the brief, I think Kristine's look should have won; it would photograph well and I think it would be wearable (albeit in a niche market). To me, Sandhya's dress looked like it belonged in Plan 9 from Outer Space.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is more than one designer out there drawing on "ethnic influences" so I don't think she is copying anyone.

The way I see it, whilst designers' individual aesthetic can be very different, there is an unwritten set of features, which characterises western 'high-fashion.' Sandhya doesn't seem to be too bothered about that and ends up creating things which sort of play according to different rules.

Since the garments she creates do not really follow what most viewers identify as 'high fashion,' they provoke a lot of negative 'I don't get it' responses.

I actually agree that she's neither the most sophisticated designer, nor is her execution particularly strong.

But Heidi Klum (and Nina Garcia as well, to an extent) has been saying many times over the years that she wants to see designers take risks and make clothes that stand out and are memorable instead of things that are safe and bland (she would probably prefer Gilles/Poirer's "Hitchcock FD" to Zoueva's lyrical snot. ;))

So if you considered those criteria to be important, Sandhya would score high.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  18. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

I thought this challenge was a pretty good one (although the attempt to shoehorn in a link to Red Robin was painful). It was a toss up in my mind between Amanda and Kini....I would prefer to wear Kini's, but Amanda had the handicap of having to use a horrific suit for her fabric and really turned it around.

19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The right person went home. Hernan couldn't disassociate, so he was doomed. I still find it difficult to understand why he didn't see the giant V. It's the same in Spanish, so language didn't factor.

20. my little pony

god bless hernan, it was like there was a majorette extra in xanadu

Matryeshka and skatemomaz like this.
  21. cruisin

Haven't seen the show yet. But, I looked at the Rate the Runway photos on the website. Amanda won? It looks like a hair dress! Ugly!

22. my little pony

heidi and nina went nuts over that dress, kevin arnold was partial to kiwi's as was i

23. skatesindreams

I would have chosen Kini as the winner,
    I'm old enough to have seen "hippie, boho, and fringe" before.

Hernan whined about everything; and had an exaggerated opinion of himself/his ability, with little to justify it.
    Enough, already!

Rob likes this.
  24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA, I would have gone with Kini. Glad Hernan is gone.

25. cruisin

I like Kini's, as well. I also like Alexander's. But, I have not seen it move, yet.

26. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Loved Fade's ... interesting shape and cool use of the fabric. He's my dark horse prediction for the finals. He's got that stealth mode thing happening - interesting, well made clothing that gets overlooked for the first half of the season, then will suddenly take off in the second half.

uyeahu and skatemomaz like this.
  27. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I can't believe Mitchell escaped the bottom three again. His garment was hideous and his construction is terrible. On the whole, there was a lot of fug on the runway last night. Personally, I think Kini should have gotten the win. If the requirement was high fashion, that met the bill over Amanda's by a large margin.

skatesindreams likes this.
  28. skatesindreams

Fade's designs have a "futuristic" vibe that doesn't always "merchandise" well.
    He said that he had never done "high fashion" clothing.

29. my little pony

i loved that

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Agree. Not sure how hippie-boho-fringe = high fashion.

Of course, for no logical reason whatsoever, I find Amanda to be extremely grating. So I may be biased.