Project Runway Starts Tonight (7/24/2014)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 24, 2014.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Hey guys--

I just wanted to let everyone know that Project Runway starts tonight. I'm going to give it one more chance....I haven't been watching as regularly. Heidi and co have been so disappointing. I'm still hopeful. I'm sorry I can't post a link. I am at work and that's a blocked site. But, amazingly, I have access here, lol!

2. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Can't believe you posted this! I was just thinking, this afternoon, when the next season would start. You must have heard me :)

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

4. satine94

satine94 awaiting the scores

Lifetime is re-airing Part 1 & 2 of S12's Finale right now. Only an hour and a half to go! =)

5. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

All great minds think alike, lol

6. cruisin

:respec:

7. skatesindreams

^^^
    Indeed!

8. satine94

oh my goodness. As soon as Carrie said she got into fashion design because of a fashion manga she read where the girl had the same name as her I automatically thought it might be Paradise Kiss. Technically Carrie in the book was given the name Caroline and sometimes called 'Carrie' & she was actually the model the fashion team recruited, but then ended up helping with the design and construction, but-

I'm not a weeaboo. I swear. :slinkaway

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

lol amanda de cadenet does the post show whatever

it reminds me of bubble saying her name with disgust on abfab

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

did they say the winner will be making an accessory for red robin waitresses?

i hate sanjaya's dress. it's perfect for a road company tour of glass menagerie in 2030. but she's a very lifetimey type of contestant.

11. cruisin

DId anyone else have sound issues with PR tonight? The sound kept breaking up. I switched to different channels and the sound was fine. It was just a problem on Lifetime. It could have just been local cable, but it was annoying!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  12. satine94

My sound was okay.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I wish Bunim Murray would fire the production/editing team and start over with new people. Foreshadowing, much? Honestly, a fourth grader could have made the episode more suspenseful.

14. skatesindreams

Many of the contestants seem to have shockingly poor sewing skills, even for a one-day challenge; never mind lacking "taste".
    Little of what we saw said "Spring", either,

15. skatesindreams

duplicate post

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Sometimes I think it is hard to determine what the sewing skills are of contestants on "PR" due to the time restraints. I've seen interviews with former contestants and they talk about how hard it is to get a garment draped, patterned, but and sewn because a lot of the "one day" challenges really only allow them about 8 - 10 hours to work as contestants are constantly being pulled out for 1-1 interviews, productions stoppages, etc.

That being said, the "winning" garment last night was hideous. I dare Heidi or Nina to wear that on a red carpet! :p That being said, Mitchell's garment was even worse and he should have gotten the boot, IMO.

17. cruisin

Agree, the winning dress was just weird. I liked parts of it, but the shoulders were just bizarre. Agree that Mitchell should have left. The losing outfit was bad, but not as bad.
    Hated Emily's weird bustier over dress thing.
    Liked the pieces of Char's outfit, but not together. When you have that much volume on the bottom, keep it sleek on top and vice versa.
    I liked Fade's dress, really different.
    Liked Hernan's dress, but not exceptional.
    My favorite was Sean's dress, I would totally wear it!

18. skatesindreams

I would have been fine with sending the "winner", as well as the two in the bottom, home.
    After all these years, the contestants should know that superior sewing skills; with adaptability/thinking "on the fly" are required.

If you can't do that, it doesn't matter how "creative" you may be.

19. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I loved the winning look, and I called it that she would win as soon as I saw it. It was GORGEOUS! And I don't think that any of this was meant to be red carpet. It was meant to be SPRING.

20. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I didn't like the winning look, but at least it was interesting. Same with the losing look--badly done and executed, but it was different.

In the middle, there were a few dresses that were basic floral dresses you can get at Kohl's. In fact, I have one that is a dead-ringer for one of them hanging in my closet. Timeless and tasteful, but forgettable and dull. I'd have had those in the bottom for the first challenge.

21. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The winning dress was not my cup of tea, but I've come to expect that on this show. If I strongly dislike something, the judges will love it. The reverse is true too.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I am just finishing watching The Road to the Runway and it looks like they have a really fantastic mix of designers. There's some obvious freaks put on there as a circus act but what is really impressive is the range of different styles and aesthetics and how refined most of their work looks. Between that and all the crazy personalities, all the right ingredients are there for a fantastic season. I am super excited and after the slightly disappointing last season, I hope that this one can reach the levels of season 12, at least.

As a sidenote, what I was really happy to see was more emphasis put on menswear and the designers having to bring two menswear pieces to the castings.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It was a good idea to invite 18 designers and then eliminate 3. Pumps up the drama from the start.

I would have also got rid of Emmanuel (a tragic, "Dynasty" taste level) but the other two I would have sent home would have been Hernan (a huge ego and a Pitbull video taste level) and Mitchell (his work seemed just mediocre and I didn't see anything fresh or interesting about it).

From a producers' point of view, I can see how they would want the latter two on the show, as they might provide a lot of drama over the season.

Koni and Carrie Sl(e)utskaya are two other designers whose work seems quite tacky and I would have also been fine with them being sent home but then maybe they will bring the 'entertaining crazy' with his eye-popping colour combinations and her S&M outfits. It might be fun.

I think that Tim should have gone through because of his very strong technical skills. I also liked his penchant for colour. Maybe his vision wasn't defined enough yet but I thought that there was something there.

I feel especially upset about Nzinga being bumped off. Yes, her dresses were a little one-note but it would be great to have somebody with her perspective on the show. Making clothes that would always cover the models up. But then, maybe it simply wouldn't have worked with some of the challenges. Although that would have been the interesting part, for me at least. Making all of the challenges work with that limitation in place.

As for the returning designer, Valentine is somebody I would have voted to bring back myself. I thought she had more potential if only she believed in herself more. Somebody with Laurence's level of anger management problems, who has been aggressive towards others, should have never been allowed on the show. And Pope seemed full of himself and really unlike-able.

Out of the first runway show, I thought that Alexander Knox and Sean Kelly were really ahead of the pack. Very stylish, interesting and well executed garments. They are going to be the ones to beat.

Jefferson Musanda's look stood out as well, with interesting shapes and proportions different from what you usually see. It looked very fresh. The judges completely hated it. I guess I liked it because it looked so different to everything else and I highly value originality and out-of-the-box thinking. Those were my top three and I would picked Sean Kelly as the winner.

Mitchell's look was terrible. It was sloppy, low-price-chain-store bad. This is exactly why I didn't think he should have gone through to the live shows. Kini's look was tacky and I've seen loads of dresses like this. I get that the jacket was supposed to contrast with the dress (hard with soft) but that didn't work at all for me and I thought the two pieces didn't work together at all. Hernan's dress was just incredibly bad. The way it kept bunching up, the boring basic cut, the granny floral print, the pointless bit on the model's arm. It was just shockingly bad and again, I seemed right about my feeling of his taste level being tragic. Those were my bottom three and any of them could have gone home but I would have picked Hernan.

Out of the rest, I thought that Samantha Placencia and Karina Emerson had very sharp and well executed jumpsuits. Valentine's look was strong too. F├Ąde's look was interesting. Those were my 'high scorers.'

The rest would be somewhere in the middle of the pack. Kristine Guico's look I just didn't get but then it wasn't badly constructed and the colours worked together I guess?

It was interesting how much opposing opinions Sandhya's look attracted. It definitely wasn't something wearable but I agree that it created this fantasy, was interesting and stood out from everything else. She might be the Patricia of this season. The one with the crazy ideas and a very different point of view. I am really curious to see more from her.

I feel sorry for Angela who tried way too hard after taking her critique to heart too much. I get her aesthetic, I think that she has a lot of taste and all she needs is to make it stand out more but that was a bad way to go about it.

Out of the top three that the judges picked, I would have been fine with anybody winning (but Sandhya would be my preference probably) and I would have definitely sent Mitchell home for that lazy, boring and poorly executed look.

I feel really angry about Jefferson being eliminated because at least he had an interesting idea and tried to do something different. Mitchell had something you could buy at Target. Terrible decision.

Well, the judges (Heidi at least, explicitly) have thought something exactly the opposite this time. ;)

It wouldn't be fair to judge the garments on being 'your cup of tea' though. I would have never worn Sandhya's dress (not that I wear dresses but still ;) and I didn't particularly like it either but I respected her creativity and trying to do something different.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The program is obviously heavily edited but from what they did show, it sounded like the judges wanted to keep Jefferson and eliminate Mitchell. I think it was the producers who insisted on keeping Mitchell because his verbal diarrhoea and exuberant personality 'make good TV.'

25. skatesindreams

That seems likely, Ziggy.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I keep forgetting that for the first few episodes, you have to be very good or very memorable. Jefferson's design was middle of the pack to me, but he didn't do anything in the workroom to annoy/inspire the producers, so he's out.

27. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I thought so, too. I rarely gasp in delight for PR, but I totally did when I saw that come down the runway. It's definitely a fashion piece rather than a production pieces but I loved it.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Mitchell already irritates me a lot and his work is very mediocre. I am really not looking forward to seeing (and hearing) more from him.

29. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Last night was a jump the shark episode for me. The producer manipulation was so obvious, Bunim Murray should be ashamed. We don't have any footage of Nina or Zack frowning at Angela's look. Their expressions during her model's walk looked neutral, not displeased. If you look closely, the part where Heidi tells her team that they would have won were it not for Angela seems to be cut into the sequence. To my eye, badly cut, but cut none the less. Are BM trying to push her out? The poor kid's already on the edge, but she's not a terrible designer.

Same for the "blame Sandhya who has immunity" theme. None of them had management or persuasion skills, so who do you blame - the one who wouldn't budge or the two who caved? I think Sandhya has the balls to stand up to the criticism, though.

30. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I only caught the very end of the runway show and the judging. From what little I saw of the designs, I thought they were all ugly, even the winners, but that the losing team came off as a bunch of whiny little brats. I'll try to go back and watch the whole show this weeken but I wasn't impressed.