Project Runway - Season 12 - Our "Guilty Pleasure" Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatesindreams, Jun 22, 2013.

1. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Surprisingly, Justin FTW.

2. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Justin's looks are amazing. Helen's look so dowdy. Did Alexandria say punk?! Hers were very bland.

3. PRlady

Helen is really doing herself in.

4. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Yeah, she really slammed home how inexperienced she is. She shouldn't have gotten this far.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

alexandria's looked like leftovers from heidi's gym clothes challenge. i can see myself scrubbing floors in them.

it stabs me in the heart to defend helen but she at least had clothes that looked like they were meant to go outside the house.

6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The only thing I cared about tonight was how Tim Gunn was after the subway accident. Forget the designers, the divine Tim is what mattered most.

That said, if Helen had put something decent out there, Alexandria would have gone home. Beige bores Nina. But, her students and their dolls were :rofl:

7. my little pony

in my head, they gave tim the tim doll

8. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

3-D printed accessories and a dress made out of pipette tips (or plastic test tubes)? My not-so-inner geek was squee-ing. Go Justin! (although I wish he and Alexandra had a bit more color in their collections)

9. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Yeah, Helen sealed her own fate.

The color combinations and styling were atrocious.

I loved Alexandra's school; if she could bring some of that warmth it would be nice (she's a bit Mila-esque).

Props to Justin: great concept, he just needs to refine. I would've liked the second look without the paint splattering even more, and the print on the back was gorgeous.

He just made what I thought was going to be a two-pony race a little more interesting.

10. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I agree. Alyssa Milano is popular with the Lifetime demographic, but she doesn't scream fashion to me; I've seen her on many red carpets and she often looks a mess.

I've actually been given the first episodes in advance and will let you know my impressions.

Oh, I'm also chatting with Tim Gunn -- and Alyssa for that matter -- later this month so please send me (brief) questions!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You spoke for me!

I love that Tim has been a real "champion" for Justin, as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  12. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

I know! I loved that he included 3-D printed materials. It's really cool when you see technology transformed into fashion/art.

13. my little pony

i would ask tim gunn if he is aware of how popular he is with the fans and why he thinks he is so popular, then i would ask him to sign my tim gunn bobblehead

14. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I was surprised that i really liked Alexandria's. I have only seen the web page photos, though. They don't have Bradon's up, wonder why.

15. PRlady

I like neutral colors, raw edges and quirky cuts so it's mystifying why I don't like Alexandria's collection more. I think it's boring, and Ninagarcia is right and Heidi, whose taste can veer off in very weird directions, is wrong.

16. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I've been off and on with Alexandria this season; I did like a few of her supremely unpopular-with-fans designs here and there. But her final collection...LOVE. She's got the effortless church thing going in spades, yet with really interesting details and impeccable workmanship. She won't win, and I don't love everything she does, but she was easily my favorite last night.

17. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Justin's collection was the only one that appealed to me. Alexandra's was too familiar & Helen's was ugly.

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I really liked Alexandria's because it was something I would wear and be comfortable in. That doesn't mean it is a Project Runway finale collection. Nice comfy, but detailed slouchy pieces - not very fashion forward, but very wearable.

Even though I really like Alexandria's stuff, I might have sent her home if Helen had done something remotely attractive. The blue dress looked like a tablecloth, the red one was ok, but the belt made it scrunch wrong, and ITA with Nina, the blue print looked like a straight jacket for the fashion victim insane asylum. Poor seaming and puckering. And the skirts with the narrow panels that Tim said looked like diapers -- They do. I saw the photos of the final collections including the decoys, and I thought her collection was pretty awful.

Justin, wow, nice, I can't wait to see the runway in motion.

19. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

As usual Heidi had a death grip on keeping Alexandra. No matter that all the other judges wanted to send her home.
    If I was Heidi, I would be embarrassed to put those clothes on a runway, but she seems to love that stuff.
    To each his own, I guess.

20. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Alexandria (not my favorite designer at all) is going to show the best and most wearable finale collection (imho).

The event took place already - SPOILER ALERT!!!! link to finale collection show - winner is NOT yet announced.

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2013/09/project-runway-finale-collections-alexander-alexandria-bradon.html

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2013/09/project-runway-finale-collections-justin-kate.html

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2013/09/project-runway-final-collections-dom-helen-jeremy.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I wish that she would simply buy her clothes, privately.

Her designs are too casual for the runway; and do nothing to elevate the industry.
    They look more appropriate for Target, IMO.

22. my little pony

i think every 2nd place designer deserves an apology

23. duane

duane New Member

I don't recall ever seeing a battle-for-the-final-spots collection that had such a clear loser as this one. Helen's was SO bad!! I liked Alexandria's, but was mostly impressed with Justin's.

24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I liked pieces in all of the collections. But, I don't think any of them are really strong, overall.

25. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I hope Alexandra does not become Wretchen II.

26. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Alexandria's final collection was my favorite of those shown at Fashion Week, and the fact that it's primarily separates doesn't bother me in the least. There are many designers who build long careers in sportswear and casual separates. If Alexandria had more than 10 looks to show then perhaps she'd have shown more variety. The same complaints that are being made of her collection were also made of Christian Siriano's. Not enough color, everything is the same silhouette, too much of the same thing, etc. She has a very specific POV and it's very European and not for everyone.

27. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Alexandria is not only do her clothes look somewhat unoriginal, they also don't look impeccable. If she's going to do the sportswear, casual look, it should look a lot better than it does. Too much of it is poorly constructed and unflattering. She had several challenges where her clothes looked absolutely horrific. Her finale collection looks better, but I still don't think it looks that far above similar ready-to-wear clothes. She has created some cool looks and seems like a nice person, but her winning would be a huge disappointment.

Out of the collections, Alexander's is by far my favorite. But out of the designers still in contention, I'd definitely pick Braden or Justin for the win. I admire Dom, but for some reason her clothes just leave me cold.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  28. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Not possible. She didn't get a smack down from Tim for bullying the way Gretchen did.

I agree that this season overall has very boring designers. What's up with the talent pool?

29. PRlady

Based on the photos, I'd pick Dom or Kate for the win. (I thought Kate's auffing, even though that particular look was a fail, was premature given her other successes.) Although I'd wear some of Alexandria's stuff, it's not high-fashion, it's just Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters. Justin's collection is good but I can see the construction issues in the still photos.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I actually like Brandon's collection best from Tom and Lorenzo's site...I love rich colors and prints. Some of the others, though...who did "all taupe and white?"