Project Runway - Season 12 - Our "Guilty Pleasure" Returns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatesindreams, Jun 22, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Justin survived because it was a "print" challenge, I believe.
    That was good; the rest, ugh!

2. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I liked Braden's outfit & tho't he should have won. I seem to have very different taste than the judges & I don't think its just because I'm an old woman.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

who knew making a print was so hard? makes esosa look amazing in retrospect

4. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Dom and Bradon were way out in front of the others on this challenge. I would have given the win to Bradon, but won't argue against Dom.

Helen is irritating and her print design was poorly done. If there's anything we've learned from sporting events it is this: it is very difficult to make "star spangled" look elegant. (I always pity the poor folks who have to design outfits for team USA...."where do we put the stars so it doesn't look like a 5 year old's craft project?") She had an artist as a muse and she designs some twee collection of stars? Lame.

I would have auffed Alexandra and Kate. Yes, Alexander's use of the white cross was unfortunate (my mind went to "Danish flag made out of chocolate")....maybe making the cross in black would have been better.

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I follow bloggingprojectrunway.blogspot.com (BPR) and comments there suggest that Heidi and Zac voted against Alexander because it wasn't "sexy" and that Nina didn't push back even though she preferred his. It seems that they're voting off anything that isn't sexy or at least body conscious even though fashion consists of many more silhouettes. Domage.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Dom's winning look was hideous. The print is much too overpowering; it's the kind of dress that wears the woman, and not the other way around. It was also poorly done; it was bunching up and wrinkly in the armhole and shoulder cap area. It looked incredibly uncomfortable to wear. How that was called the winner I'll never understand.

Braden wuzrobbed big time.

7. skatesindreams

^^^
    Agree with all of this.

Dom's print was interesting; the dress she made with the fabric was not.
    I couldn't understand why the judges praised its' construction'her skills.

8. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I'm sad cause Kate was my favorite but her look was really terrible this week. Shocked that Alexandria wasn't in the bottom for her look. And I agree that I liked Dom's print and dress but it looked so bunched up in places.

9. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I thought Braden should have won, hands down. I liked Dom's, but could not see many women wanting to wear a print like that.

Kate, hmmm, I think she should have been safe. I didn't think her's was as bad as Alexandria's. I actually thought Kate's idea was interesting. The sheer crinoline over the print, even the crystal pleating. But the proportion and implementation were wrong.

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

IMO, Kate did exactly what Tim told them not to do as he was leaving the workroom. He said "Don't overthink it" and that's what she did. In one of the talking head segments, Dom said that Kate was going for a play on transparency. I get that, but the final result was an epic fail. Everything that could have gone wrong with that look did.

11. cruisin

I actually think that Kate did not think it through enough. I don't know that her's was a case of over thinking. I think the concept was really interesting. However, she did not think through the proportion and the shape. She could have done a longer, very fitted, no waistband, version with the pleating just the bottom 3" - 4" of the skirt. It could have created a sort of short trumpet shape. Posen has done that, and probably would have liked it.

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ What do you think her concept was? :confused: I saw hard vs. soft; transparent vs. opaque; masculine vs. feminine. Two ideas too many and none of them executed well. She defended that look to the end, right down to her post-show Sobbing Head segments, but to me, she failed epically. That dress sucked big-time and she deserved the auf. As did Alexandria with her atrocious Post-Apocalytic EuroAngst Pile of Dirty Rags Grabbed off the Bomb Shelter Floor look.

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA. I think Kate had 2 strikes against her: non existent print and hideous design. She hasn't been my favorite this season or last, but she was less irritating this time. I was hoping against hope that somehow Helen would be a surprise elimination. She is the " :huh: the judges really liked that?" designer this season for me. That print was :yikes: to me and the judges seemed to be trying to convince themselves it was a good design. Praise for using white and ecru together? They seemed to be grasping at straws. And don't you love that she made Kate's departure all about her when she cried that she wanted Kate to be at Fashion Week with her. :rolleyes:

:rofl: at picturing eliminated designers hiding in a corner at Mood while current designers shop.

14. skatesindreams

I also am amazed that Helen is still there; and being "pushed".
    The design of her dress seemed like an "afterthought"; and fitted poorly.

The only dress of hers I have liked is the one from the "Real Woman" challenge.

15. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Dom's dress hurt my eyes and I thought it was badly fitting.
    I did like Braden's and thought it would win. Why it didn't I can't guess.
    Alexanderia's dress was laughable. Not only was it ugly, but the cross was puckering all over the length,
    I just don't get the judges this season.
    I just hope she doesn't make it to the final. Watching a whole runway show of her clothes would be enough to make me vomit.

16. cruisin

I really liked the idea of soft/v/hard, transparent/v/opaque. Not sure I saw the masculine in her design, at all. I think the top should not have been buttoned up, all of the way. I think the dress should have been more fitted and the crystal pleats just the bottom 3-4 inches. The concept worked for me, the actual design and execution did not.

17. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Why, why, why do the judges keep Alexandria safe (or worse) praise her? From the poopy pants, to the bondage boot look, to this week's trainwreck, how does she manage to stay?

18. skatesindreams

^^^
    Most of her looks have been awful; and at best, unimpressive.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I guess on the same theory that Justin wasn't auffed- she used more of the print - it was the whole dress. Braden used the print in the jacket, and they liked the print, but the part everyone went crazy for was the LBD underneath.

20. skatesindreams

You never know with these judges.
    If he has used more of the print, they probably would have said "too much".

Remember, Tim didn't care for the skirt Bradon intended; so, he made the LBD instead.

21. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

As long as Dom and Braden go, I don't care about the third. Although not Alexandria.

(I guess the other designers agree )

22. duane

duane New Member

Don and Braden were the clear top 2, but I thought Dom was the clear winner. LOVED her avant garde look! I thought Braden's inspiration was too literal.

23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Now I get it. The judges don't care for anyone but Dom and Bradon, but they have to put at least one more designer through, so they've been dragging Alexandria through the last few challenges. How else can one explain the last two weeks?

24. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Helen won several challenges. Had she done anything imaginative this time they would have given it to her outright. It really doesn't matter, the ultimate contest is Dom and Braden anyway which we've known for a while.

25. my little pony

yesterday on esquire, they ran several of the season 4 (i think 4) shows. the top 4 of christian, chris, rami and jillian had so many fabulous designs, so much talent. this bunch is collectively just so ordinary by comparison.

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I loved that Emmy Rossum tried on Dom's jacket. Wonder if we will see her in it.

I think Alexandria is still here because they knew her show would be modern sportswear, not evening wear, little dresses, or couture. She made the show more diverse.

Having looked at the final collections, I hope they look better on TV in motion than in photos.

So true, one of my favorite finales.

Here is a link for the contestants for the third All Star season starting 10/24: http://www.thewrap.com/project-runway-all-stars-season-3-contenders-announced/ There are a lot of favorites of mine on this list!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  27. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I would have sent Helen home for that halloween monstrosity. I'm just happy that Justin made it through; I like him, even if he isn't the greatest designer there. I get that Dom and Braden are The Chosen Ones and I don't dislike them but their designs are just too extreme for my taste. Of the two, I think I prefer Dom just because she seems to have more fun with fashion and she's been pretty consistent with the challenges. But it's not like any of them have designed stuff that I'd wear anyway so for me it's more like looking at paintings in an art museum; I see stuff that I think is interesting or pretty or amusing at the moment but I don't want to take anything home and live with it.

28. my little pony

29. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Wow! What a cast for the next all-stars season! I can't believe so many season winners are participating. Could be fabulous.

30. duane

duane New Member

And she looked great in it!