Project Runway All-Stars: Villians. Razzle-bedazzle and snarky turkey disco!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

When Josh picked out that print (Seriously? All the way to PARIS to buy a fabric one can get for a buck fifty a yard at JoAnn's?) we looked at each other and said that Josh is toast. What Uli did with her redo was stunning.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I liked the "redo" dresses better than the first ones for both of them.
    Josh's problem was his "taste level" (again).
    Choosing that fabric for the skirt was just - "no"

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I think you are taking this way farther than I meant it. The fact is, fashion is beyond youth based. So, that is one huge hurdle. Second, starting out in any industry at 59, when you are about 5-6 years away from retirement is unlikely. Bert doesn't count, he was in the industry and came back. And Laura Bennett was 43 when she was on the show. I am 59, was an art director, before my kids were born and freelance now. I have a very good eye, but I'd never make it in the fashion world, staring out at my age. I am a very good designer and have very good sewing skills, but no one would take me seriously. I am not discriminating, I am being realistic. I worked in a peripheral industry for a very long time. And, what I find insulting is the fact that the older contestants are often criticized because of their age.

4. duane

duane New Member

I thought Emilio deserved the win because of the unique fabric and construction, and because it had the WOW factor on the runway.

I thought Josh should had been eliminated outright, but I LOVED his redo outfit. But we all knew the judges wanted AR, Emilio, and Uli in the finals (and so did I).

5. cruisin

I liked Josh's concept. But the fabric was too sharp and busy. He should have gone with a more watercolor, larger pattern, with some grey tones in it. The small, tight, rendered flowers did not work with the black lace. Unfortunate, because the top was really beautiful.

I loved Emilio's dress, but the fit, in front, could have been a little better. It looked a little maternity at some angles.

Uli's were good.

I didn't like AR's, it was not anything I haven't seen many times before.

6. skatesindreams

That was my first thought, as well!

7. duane

duane New Member

That's what I thought, but it's what the judges said about Uli's! Go figure.

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I actually would buy Josh's 'remade' look (assuming they redesigned the top a little for women who actually have breasts bigger than a negative-A cup.) The fabric was WAY too busy for a long, full, skirt, but made perfect sense with the short dress. I would want sleeves of some kind, too, but that's just me, I loathe sleeveless. Changing the length and waist took it from looking like an unfinished skirt made from curtains to youthful and bright.

Uli's...the first one I liked better than the second. That was just kind of a sad sack, the first was kind of seen-it-already, but at least it had some flare. I'm surprised she was in the bottom and not Anthony Ryan, as that was not only unremittingly black (and I LIKE black and shiny) but not very original, either. Maybe there were details I couldn't see on the TV screen. Emilo's...I kind of like it, but again, there must be something in the fabric or detailing that isn't coming across. I do hope the fact that he, Anthony Ryan, and Joshua all went with long sleeves (and a lot of those Paris couture gowns had long sleeves) mean sleeves might get more common. I hate trying to look for a dress that even has short sleeves (let alone long, which I prefer) and never finding anything.

It was pretty clear, obviously, who was going to the final--Josh didn't look at all surprised. I wonder did they just think there had not been enough drama, or were hoping Uli would make it less of a clear predetermined result, with the one-hour challenge (if so, fail, Josh's redesign was a lot nicer, though Uli only had the beige she'd already bought to work with) or they just felt "we haven't stressed out our jet-lagged designers enough yet, let's see if we can get the last remaining DRAMA!!! person to finally give us some good TV." I don't think any of the prior contestants that were clearly brought back for drama over talent/popularity delivered what the producers wanted (Wendy was just in chill Mom mode, Ivy was on tranquilizers unless I blinked and missed a bitchfest, Josh has been totally under the radar....)

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :lol: neat assessment (altho' I do think the judges liked how Uli deconstructed her original dress -- she had some construction and design problems with the original dress and she knew it). Josh's fabric choice and taste level are problematic, but he also did a good job on the deconstruction.

This week, I really like Emilio's fabric choice, and the dress was beautiful, but ITA that maybe a few appliques well-positioned might have added something, or else something a bit different in either the cut or the length. Emilio does have a very good model, and I also like AR's model. Uli's and Joshua's models are just so-so (but maybe because its hard for one specific model to look good in everything their designer is forced to create on the show).

I think AR did a good job of making a new dress when he was disappointed with his first one, but I thought Emilio was going to get the win the way the judges were gushing over his dress and fabric. Any case, I didn't care so much for AR's dress, altho' it looked good on the model. I just wasn't thrilled with AR's choice of black. When I saw the flowered print Joshua picked in Paris, I knew he was in trouble. He has a lot of ideas and is certainly skilled, but yes, his taste level and knowing how to edit himself is where he needs to improve. All the designers before they go on the show should learn all they can about fabrics and making fabric choices. Josh did a good job creating a different look out of the original outfit in the final face-off, but the judges were clearly intrigued and surprised by Uli's cleverness in using the lining in such a stylish way, along with making that cute jacket so quickly out of the dress fabric (plus Uli has done so well all season in comparison to Josh, so the choice was a no-brainer). In fact, the judges knew they did not want to eliminate AR last week, and it also would have been unfair to eliminate Emilio, sooo they needed another challenge to eliminate the truly weakest designer of the four remaining. Josh helped them out this week with his questionable fabric choice. ITA that Josh might have been better off making a skirt out of the purple fabric he had also purchased, but it wouldn't have likely saved him in the end from being eliminated. He does have the trip to Paris and to the House of Valentino to sustain and inspire him.

Yeah, danceronice, I don't think Wendy Pepper was a totally bad designer, especially not during her original season, although she was perceived to be manipulative and back-stabbing (but the producers do like conflict to heat things up, as long as it's not too over the top). During this latest all-star season, I can't recall all that Wendy did in detail, but she did have a tacky miss with the belt chain outfit. As we all know, pretty much all the designers chosen are talented, but their flaws are exposed in the PR pressure cooker. I doubt most designers would be able to do their best work consistently under the conditions set up by the show's producers.

Sure cruisin, I get your meaning but still I think that attitudes should be different. Life is never cut and dried, it just isn't. The 59-year-old (Cindy Marlatt) in Season 11 has an interesting background as a quilter, and she's always made her own clothes and has always had an eye for design. She already designs clothes for clients on a small scale, so she is not just starting out. She did decide to go to school for design later in life, but once again she's always been involved in fabric arts. The thing is, why not go for it and audition for the show. It can be a win-win experience even for those who go home early. Being a contestant on Project Runway will always be on the resume of those who win that opportunity. Altho' I'm certain that during the course of some of the extremely difficult challenges many contestants second guess the torture they willingly signed up for. :p In any case, from your latest post, cruisin, you seem to be saying that in one's 40s being on the show or trying to make it in the fashion industry is okay, but not okay in one's 50s?

Obviously it is often much harder to do something different or new the older you are, and some things that involve physicality are absolutely difficult (i.e., don't expect to become a top level gymnast or figure skater starting out late, even 20s is past physical prime -- yet lots of people start skating in their 30s, 40s, and 50s these days for their own enjoyment, and these days it is possible to compete as an adult figure skater). I've heard of someone starting in their mid-20s to become a dancer, which is very late and very unusual, but not impossible (she was in modern dance though, not ballet; but there was a famous ballerina, Melissa Hayden, who started training as a dancer at the age of 15). While at very advanced ages, one can't expect to go to the Olympics, there are a few sports in which older very skilled athletes participate, such as horseback riding. In any case, why not get involved in yoga, or gymnastics, or ballet, or figure skating as an older person? So what re the attitudes toward someone who is older trying to make it in the fashion industry? Obviously, there are a lot of older people who didn't have the opportunity to pursue their dream earlier or who are getting back involved partly as a result of the high level interest our culture has in fashion and design these days. Over the years, there certainly have been quite a few older people making the attempt, and gaining the opportunity to be on PR.

BTW, for Season 11, among the contestants there are about 4 Hispanics and one Native American, in addition to two African-Americans, and one contestant originally from Thailand. And, as mentioned earlier, quite a few contestants are in their 40s, and mid-to-late thirties, and of course the one who is 59. From some of the sneak preview clips, it looks like the gorgeous young female designers in their 20s are being called out as "divas" and worse. But clips can be deceptive -- obviously under the team challenge a lot of sparks are going to fly.

Not sure how the team concept is going to work, but from the preview clips for Season 11, I'm not that excited about all the negative drama that seems to be involved. I have always disliked the way the judges needle team members to "throw" their fellow designers "under the bus." Ironically, I recently read an interesting article (which I'll link later) about PR's great impact on the fashion industry, in which a famous designer was quoted from an earlier season as having tipped contestants about the importance of "being nice." IOW, they were told that "being nice" is the most important thing to remember in trying to make it in the industry. Maybe that is the message PR judges on the surface would like the designers to learn, but I think their supposed intention is in conflict/ cahoots with the kind of "drama" the producers think is necessary to beef up and maintain viewership. In other words, the entire PR enterprise is so Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  10. cruisin

Aftershocks, I am not saying that people should not try new things or get involved in new endeavors at an older age. I just don't think PR takes the older 50+ designers seriously. I think they use them as filler for drama. It is not an age forgiving industry. Is that fair? No. But that was not my point. And, not to be unkind, but quilting and making your own clothes, are not necessarily designer qualifications. I'll have to wait and see her work.

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Well, I don't think its a bad thing that PR at least makes the effort to be inclusive with selecting designers from a variety of different backgrounds and different ages. Obviously there have not been many designers over 50 on the show, because it is probably rare for someone to seek a career at the top levels of design when they are over 50. I am just choosing not to automatically dismiss this 59-year-old because of her age. There isn't a huge sample of PR designers over a certain age, but yes some like Peach Carr didn't do that well (not necessarily because of her age or talent, but seemingly because she had a limited area of expertise and she apparently didn't believe in herself or trust her instincts enough -- I think that happens to a lot of the designers in the hot-bed of PR competition). Bert Keeter and Wendy Pepper did do well (also Laura Bennett and some others who were in their 40s went far on the show). I don't think the age of these designers should be used as a negative determination for how they fare on the show.

For myself personally, I am just trying to be more expansive in the way I think about age-related issues. It is not the designers' ages that should be used as an excuse if they don't do well on the show. And that was the inference you initially made:

And per your most recent post:

I think all involved with PR take the show very seriously because the show has been successful as a franchise and they are trying to keep it going. Obviously, they try to make selections on the basis of talent, but also on personality and on the mix of personalities they think might make for an entertaining show. Among their considerations has always been including people from different ages and backgrounds. I don't think Heidi and PR producers are any less serious about designers over a certain age than they are about younger designers or gay designers or black designers or female vs male designers -- the auf'ing doesn't always seem fair of course and none of us always agree with the judges or with each other, but who goes and who stays is generally based on how well each individual designer is able to step up to the challenges they are confronted with throughout their season.

Clearly, 59-year-old Cindy Marlatt in PR Season 11, has something going for herself as a designer and not simply as a hobbyist who makes her own clothes and has a background in quilting. She had to audition for the show and she was accepted on the basis of her design talent, construction skills, her portfolio and her presentation before the selection committee.

All the videos of the new designers' auditions, home studio and closet tours are up on the PR website, along with brief bios and Q&As. I took the time to look at the videos on each one of the Season 11 designers, which is something entertaining and informative to do before the new season starts. IMO, the fact that all of these designers are talented will have less bearing on how well they do on the show, than will other factors including the new team format, personality differences, character flaws, limited time factor, judges' perceptions, producers' behind-the-scenes viewpoints, and individual designers' weaknesses.

PEACE to you cruisin. Enjoy the new PR season! Also, enjoy upcoming Nationals. Best to you in the New Year.

12. cruisin

Thank you, the same to you.

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

The producers know the winner as soon as the show gets down to the final 5 or so. I don't drive myself crazy thinking that the designer with the best clothes will win. Actually, it's mildly amusing watching the show to look for the telltale signs of producer manipulation. Bunin Murray is far less subtle than the Magical Elves.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They also don't take the craft show fashion industry seriously. Yet people make tons of money there. I think a lot of the older contestants have already been or could be successful in local boutiques or craft shows. Someone like Cindy Marlatt might have been so successful in business that she could bankroll her own collection. For her, even one appearance is probably good publicity locally. Heck if she makes a comfortable suit, I'll buy one.

15. skatesindreams

During his season, many people thought that Bert's decoy collection was better than those of the finalists.

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I think Joshua and Ryan were here last this weekend. A friend posted a picture of himself and Josh. I know Josh had come here with Ryan before so it could be an old picture but it seems random to post it late last night. They must be good friends.

17. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Is anyone here watching the final?

I thought Uli's collection was by far the best of the three. AR's, while sleek and streamlined, was a total snoozefest IMO, and Emilio's had me a bit :huh:.

I was :rolleyes: at Isaac's tight-lipped bitchface and polite golfer's clap when Uli's models were doing their group pass, but then again it was no surprise as he's had his tongue up Anthony Ryan's ass the entire season.

Panel should be interesting :watch:

18. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i couldnt find lifetime

i like uli's best. i can see johnny stealing the makeup for an exhibition.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I thought Anthony Ryan's looked like a design-school student's. And Emilio's collection looked like a couple pieces used over and over, and he's trying to back them into a corner where if they don't give him the win they look racist. I like Uli's best--I wouldn't necessarily wear most/any of them, but it looks like a *real* collection.

20. my little pony

i think it is funny to hear them critiqued by a girl in a teal crocheted toilet paper cover

21. my little pony

egad PR teams
    the looks on their faces, i cant say that i blame them

22. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

^^This. 100%.

:rofl:

I got a major Tilda Swinton vibe from Uli's models' makeup and hair, and the faux fur used in her collection had a very Winter Witch from Narnia thing going on :lol:.

I hope she wins, but I'm not holding my breath.

23. duane

duane New Member

I thought AR's show was BORING!! Emilio's show was the most entertaining, and I LOVED seeing a runway show that had all black models (and it wasn't an 'Ebony Fashion Fair' show). But overall, Uli was the best (tho watching those models walking in those extremely high shoes was scary to watch).

24. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I can't believe who won - I thought he should have been last based on the final collection. This win was based on prior weeks.

25. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ITA, AR was a student show. I liked Uli best (again).

Predictable ending.

26. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

Uli should have won. That's what you'd really see on a runway. AR was too he same for me (ie, dresses) and Emilio was just thrown together. Great idea but he needed a month.

27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Uli was robbed.

28. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Emilio always has the best idea, but he rarely has the best finished project. That being said, I can see a case for him winning because it was at least a great concept. Uli had a fully realized vision and it was just beautiful and whimsical to look at. Plus, you could see how it could be broken down for ready to wear.
    Anthony Ryan brought nothing new to the table and his last look was bad in design and execution. I found the different lengths distracting. Putting the clothes together made Emilio and Uli's collection look better; it made Anthony Ryan's look worse.

PR All Stars is sort of like post-Oly Worlds some years: righting the wrongs of the main event regardless of what's put on the ice. The first mini-one they gave to Daniel V., even though his collection was AWFUL (and Korto was denied her rightful win :mad: ), Mondo won to wipe Wretchen out of every one's mind (which is fine, he had a good collection, but Austin was stronger IMO), and now Anthony Ryan, who should have been in the final on his season but on this one is damn lucky he made it to the final. I'm sorry they have their oh-shit-what-were-we-thinking (looks at Ninagarcia) moments, but you don't make it right by compounding the error. They should just have a second medal ceremony and declare the winner at the time and the what-we-should-have-done winner right before the next season airs.

29. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I think Uli should have won. I understood what Emilio was trying to say but his collection just didn't grab me. Also, from his comments, I kept getting the uncomfortable feeling he was pulling some kind of a subtle race card which I admit I didn't get. Still I was pulling for him if Uli didn't win. Ryan's collection looked very sleek but like the same version of one dress done in different colors. For that alone he should have been third. No imagination imo. At least Emilio's line had some variety.

30. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Yep, Uli wuzrobbed and moreoever, the judges knew it. That was a beautiful collection and a few pieces (fur vest/sweater) I would kill for. AR's wasn't bad, it had a idea, but it surely wasn't that interesting; and Emilio's upset me. I also know what he was trying to say but the Aunt Jemima hairstyles and the so-so clothes left me :confused: