Project Runway All-Stars: Villians. Razzle-bedazzle and snarky turkey disco!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Oct 26, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Interesting, because I thought he did anything but hide it. I thought the strapless, straight across neckline and the belt, along with the billowiness of the dress put all of the focus on how big she was. It actually made her look bustier. You don't put a lot of fabric volume at the bust line (on a full figured woman) in order to hide it.

2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I believe that the client thought that what she requested - and had always done - "concealed" her "problem"; when the opposite was true.

3. cruisin

Agree, but don't you think the job of the designer is to educate the client on what would be more flattering? Not in a rude way, but in a way that helps them see how illusions can be created with color and shape. The ombre idea was good, the style of the dress was a disaster. They needed "What Not to Wear" there.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think AR is the judge's favorite, but Uli has consistently been in the top. I don't think they were looking to get rid of her. I think they were hoping for Josh to fail. In his season, he was tacky at the beginning and came on strong at the end when he was on the chopping block. This time he flew under the radar and is just coming on strong now.

5. skatesindreams

In a scenario where they have more than a single day to design and make the dress - of course.
    Time hardly allowed for much discussion/education.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

For this challenge, you think they would have allowed them a little more time to really do a nice job for the clients. Emilio's client probably would have loved her dress if he had time for construction.

7. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

This has been a consistent issue since Bunim Murray took over production from the Magical Elves. In the ME seasons, most of the challenges were 1 1/2 days of workroom time. Now, it's less than a day.

8. duane

duane New Member

I agree, and as others have stated, once he did well in this challenge, the judges' only option was to send all 4 to the final. No way were they sending AR home, and Emilio didn't even look all that surprised when they said he was in as well.

9. cruisin

Very true.

10. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Watched this a day late. As AR was putting his dress together, me and my disproportionate chest were yelling, No, NO, don't do it that way! And that poor woman ended up looking enormous.

Uli's dress was :swoon: and should have won but Josh's lady looked so happy and the dog was so cute, what can you do.

The Marine lady was very attractive but her affect was scary!

11. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I don't think AR gave his client what she wanted. She looked absolutely miserable. Yes, she mentioned strapless, but he ended up having to add straps anyway. From the very beginning of that monstrosity, it was apparent that he had no idea how to dress her figure. I really like AR overall, but this insane pimping the judges have done has totally turned me off.

And he's not the best designer there; both Emilio and Uli have stronger points of view. It could be argued that Emilio's implosions of late tip the scales in AR's favor in this setting, but there's no excuse for not having Uli as the frontrunner. She's been more consistent, more interesting, and more creative all season.

The show isn't even entertaining anymore.

12. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Although this has been a kinda tepid season, I do like some of the designers this All-Star season and I've kept watching every episode, but it has just seemed for the most part that the contestants' personalities simply are not all that exciting, and/ or the challenges have not tended to be all that exciting. Obviously a few contestants have been consistently strong designers, i.e., Uli, AR, and Emilio. Ivy got lucky in the beginning and finally faded; Laura Kathleen, despite being pretty, was generally boring and sometimes unpleasant; Kayne was peppy and fun, and he had some good ideas but he often exhibited tacky execution and styling; Andrae was even more weird than in his original season and he also suffered from not having strong personalities around him like Santino, et al (as during PR Season 2); Casanova gave this all-star cast some punch and was well-liked by everyone; Althea was sweet and underrated, and perhaps as a result she increasingly lost confidence; I've already forgotten that Peach, Wendy, and Suede were ever around -- nothing they completed is memorable, at least not in a good way ;). I think that Carolyn Murphy is somewhat of an improvement over the first PR All-Star season host, but not by a huge degree.

ITA that it was not a surprise no one was eliminated for this week's challenge. It would have made the show's concept look bad to eliminate AR (he won too many challenges to be let go for one mistake at the penultimate moment, even tho' it was poor design judgment on his part). Emilio won a few challenges too, and his dress while not well-executed, flattered his client more than did AR's non bust-camouflaging effort for his client. I liked Uli's dress, but the client didn't look very happy (or she may have been nervous walking the runway).

It was great seeing how quickly and sincerely Josh bonded with his client -- they worked so well together. Indeed Josh was finally excited and inspired in the very nick of time. Josh's client's great spirit and obvious delight in her dress while walking the runway was a huge asset, and heartwarming to witness. I agree with Isaac Miz that his namesake should have been provided with more glamorous attire. :) Side-note: On the PR website a viewer wrote in re wondering if the dog named Isaac was the same yellow lab named Isaac she had donated to an organization that trained him to be given to a Pets for Vets group for placement.

Looks like the PR producers are trying to beef it up with the trip to Pareee! I guess they needed to wait until it was down to three or four contestants so they wouldn't have to pay for a lot of round trip tickets. :lol: Will it be Josh or someone else who gets the boot next week?

13. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I believe next week is the finale, so 3 will be auffed

14. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Anthony Ryan, that poor woman looked like an ancient Roman wet-nurse! :wideeyes: That was atrocious, dear boy......

15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

In the past, they've been really hard on designers who give the client what they want at the expense of good design. Had this been a regular season, AR would have been auffed in a heartbeat.

I know these are good designers, and I think a lot of the lack of interesting designs have to do with the time constraints--we'd get better designs and probably more interesting banter if Lifetime wasn't so damn cheap. Bravo usually gave at least two days for the designers, as well as a day zero where hair/make-up didn't count. Sometimes they gave three, and I think once or twice they gave more!

/Season Three rant on
    I am glad that Uli's getting some serious recognition. Her final collection was one of my favorites in PR, and I still remember it. I just don't think the judges expected her to do as well as she did, and her season had some truly epic designers in terms of ability and personality (Laura Bennett, Mychael Knight, Jeffery Sebilia, weird guy with affected accent Malan something). Had the judges not had such a hard on for Jeffery or Mychael winning, she totally would have walked away with the win. Jeffery and Mychael the bottom of the pack for the final challenge, and this was the season they decided to let four compete in the final just to ensure one of them would win. It should have been Uli, Laura, and Mychael in the finale with a clear win for Uli. Season three really pisses me off. /rant off

16. skatesindreams

My issue with Uli is that she tends to do the same basic designs over and over.
    Her first season it was the 1970's prints/Maxi dresses; this year, the "flapper".

17. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

AR is lucky Issac loves him. That tacky balloon dress sucked. And adding a ribbon below a uniboob is NEVER a good idea. :scream: He does get points for not doing a "Ven" sized meltdown over not dressing a twig. And as a size 14/16, I wholly agree with the judges - if you've got curves, flaunt them. When I was a size 20, I had people asking where I shopped for my party/on the town outfits. Adding all of that fabric added several pounds to the client and didn't make her look better.

Loved Josh's client, but that dress was odd. Dog needed some dyed fabric too, not just the original pattern. :p

Uli dressed her client like Uli - no surprise there. I'd totally want an Uli dress instead of some random creation.

Emilio and his lisp can leave my screen now, but I did love the color and was happy it wasn't Vegas hooker short.

This episode had me sniffling from the start- loved this idea and challenge. But I really wanted a longer design time - the ladies deserved better than a few hours of design work.

Trivia - Katie did this episode right after the TC breakup. I remember all of the press photos mentioning her judging a PR show.

18. skatesindreams

19. cruisin

Why do they have 59 year olds in this? That is my age. And, realistically, not an age to start in the fashion business. They never do well. I don't get it.

20. skatesindreams

The producers don't want to be accused of "age discrimination" by excluding older designers, IMO.

21. cruisin

You're probably right. But, they wind up being more insulting, than if they'd just turned them down.

22. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't know--Bert was not terrible by any stretch (admittedly he's been in the industry, but obviously not a name anyone recognizes.) Laura B. was well over the average start age, too, and she made it to the final. I think it depends on WHY the older contestant is trying to be on the show.

23. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes, thanks very much danceronice. I see your comments after I've already composed mine below.

Whoa nellie! Perhaps our attitudes need to change. I know you are referring to the obstacles involved in making it in the fashion industry, but why should oldsters be excluded from starting out in any field late? Laura Bennett was one of the older contestants in the wonderful PR Season 3, and she did exceedingly well, and she's also done some PR blogging. I wonder how she is doing right now since her husband died recently, and she is raising young boys. :(

But back to your ironically short-sighted "age discrimination" comments. Maybe you are remembering Peach Carr and Wendy Pepper from the current PR All Stars season. I think there are plenty of designers young and old who have been on the show who have not been as talented as the contestants who end up as the top 3 or 4 finalists. I think your comments are rather dismissive, and seemingly culturally influenced. Our culture is a youth-obsessed culture, and old people are just "thrown away" literally and figuratively. And that's not only a d**n shame, it is absolutely criminal. Have you been inside nursing homes in your or in any community recently?

Obviously I have a lot to say about this topic. I'm not blaming you for your views, but I am curious why you would question the show's producers' inclusion of older contestants, especially since you are older than in your twenties and thirties yourself. Our culture should be more about "inclusion" than "exclusion" don't you think? Exclusion and prejudice is still a huge problem. However, PR has definitely had a sensitivity toward being inclusive, partly I think because it is about the fashion industry which employs a wide variety of unique individuals, many of whom are gay.

But even the fashion industry has had problems with widespread inclusion e.g., of models. Veteran black models have on numerous occasions campaigned and advocated for more inclusiveness for African-American models at all levels of the fashion industry. (Forget about the lack of inclusiveness of black professionals in front of and behind the camera in the film industry, seriously). Fortunately, PR has employed quite a number of black models, but I think even PR producers were requested earlier in the show's beginnings to look at bringing in more than one or two black models. In addition, I believe Kara Saun in PR Season 1 was good enough to win, but I can understand why she didn't; Korto Momolu in PR Season 5 was great and its debatable that she didn't win -- Korto especially should have won over Daniel in the first PR All-Stars special (but the producers were all about "making it up" to Daniel for his not winning PR Season 2). Obviously, Mychael Knight was highly favored to win in Season 3, but he seemed to fall apart after Uli stole his model muse, Nasri (who IMHO is the best model ever to appear on PR). Knight subsequently "blew it" with his lame final collection. There have been a couple of other extremely talented black contestants (not necessarily Emilio btw, altho' he's quite good ;)) who were either eliminated too soon, or came close but no cigar re the title. Of course, Sonjia started out great in Season 10, but wilted under the pressure.

It will be interesting to see if a black contestant ever wins on PR. The new PR 11 season's "token" black contestants and one Asian contestant seem to be pretty talented, but having talent is not always an indication of how well you'll do in the high pressure time-limited PR environment. I think how old you are should not necessarily be an indicator either. Oh, but it looks like 2 strikes against Stanley Hudson since he's black and 45. Of the two black contestants, I was groovin' more with Samantha B's funky aesthetic, but OMG, the nose ring has got to go!!! (Guess you might call me culturally-biased against nose rings, but it just looks kind of ewww most of the time, no matter who's wearin' them). I do love Stanley's stylish West Hollywood pad... Wowza! Stanley's kinda understated and cute, with a really cute doggie too, and he was sure doin' a lot of name droppin' ... Bob Mackie, et al. :)

Take a look at the new PR designer intro vids: http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-11/designers

Anyway, I find the oldest contestant this season, Cindy Marlatt to have a very interesting background, and the PR selection committee (one of whom was Mondo) seemed impressed with her work. Again though, it's not all about talent, it's more about weathering the PR claustrophobic pressure-cooker. Perhaps you feel cruisin' that older contestants ain't hip enough, or what is it exactly? Brains headed toward mush? Creative juices dried up? Too old-fashioned? Can't keep up with smarter, younger, more stylish, more fresher hipsters? :p How about the oldsters have a lot of life experience, and thus possibly possess greater perspectives and knowledge about fashion and history in general than do the younger crew?!

BTW, I think PR is "designed" to insult pretty d**n near everyone, even the viewers. :lol: Older contestants certainly don't have a monopoly on being "insulted" on this show. Do you feel extra sorry for the poor old hobbling grandmammies and grandpappies? ;) As I recall there was an older guy (Bert Keeter, Season 9) who started out being a bit defensive but ended up fitting in not too badly, and he was actually kinda cool in the end. He showed that he had a lot of knowledge which some of the younger contestants eventually came to respect.

In looking at the list of new contestants, in addition to the 59-year-old Marlatt, two contestants are 45, one 48, one 40, one 35, one 34, one 31, and two 30. The rest are in their mid-to-late twenties, so it's an older group in general. Are ya thinkin' all the 40 somethings and of course the 59ster will be eliminated first!? Wow, that many in their 40s too, harrumph! How dare they get started so late and think they can still "break-in" to the difficult fashion industry!!! Actually, it seems that all of the contestants have for many years been involved in or aspiring to achieve success in the fashion industry, or at the least they have had creative interests for much of their lives.

I say, it's never too late if you're alive and kickin' to do anything you desire to do. Why place artificial limits on what's possible in life, at any age? That's one of the biggest a**-backward assumptions, and in general such thinking is at the root of what's wrong with our culture and our society.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Show isn't over yet, though it's clear where they want to go but...call me crazy, I like Joshua's dress. Yes, a SLIGHTLY different floral would have been better, but I see where it was going. And while I normally like quasi-dom black outfits, Anthony Ryan's is almost too unremittingly black. Emilio's...I agreed with them something was just not.....QUITE.....there. I don't really care for Uli's--we've seen it before.

aftershocks--heck, for the market she sells to, I didn't think Wendy Pepper was at all bad. (And I will STILL cut a bitch for that leather corset look from her final show.) I could see where the M'burg/DC customer was in her clothes. And I didn't say so above, but I do think the whole YOUNG AND FRESH thing is a little overvalued-there's a lot to be said for an experienced eye.

25. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I could not understand Joshua's dress in either of its iterations. And I've loved most of Uli's looks this season so I'm relieved she's in the final. Actually, I hope it is between her and AR for the win -- Emilio's dress looked awfully bulky to me.

26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Josh picked out some gorgeous purple fabric, but went with the tablecloth/housecoat flowers. Don't get it at all. Loved Emilio's snarking on the fabric and totally agree - who goes to Paris for THAT? :scream: Valentino show looked amazing, I want more fashion show shots.

Of the top 4, I liked Emilio's construction (but not the 'pregnant model runway walk'), Uli's gold details, and AR's top. Josh - eh, maybe good ideas with the top, but that skirt? Never.

This is totally AR's to lose. But, I have to wonder if they had decided last week to take 4 to Paris to battle it out and all we got was fake :drama: ? Loved the 'rebuild the dress' challenge, but if they had auffed Uli, I would have been done with the show.

27. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

aftershocks That is an awesome post and perfectly says what I was thinking.:respec::swoon:

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Who was eliminated?

29. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Josh is out.

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Thank goodness. I literally had to stop watching the episode because his eyebrows were seriously creeping me out. They have always been bad but on this show they were REALLY bad. He could be a very attractive guy but he sure tries his best to not be.