Project Runway All-Stars: Villians. Razzle-bedazzle and snarky turkey disco!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Oct 26, 2012.

1. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I could've seen it go either way between Laura Kathleen and Ivy this week.

I think Ivy is a good designer, I just think she's not good in a competitive format. I was at Fashion Week her season, and I still remember her lovely resort collection (and hers didn't even make broadcast).

I think we're gearing up for an Anthony Ryan-Emilio-Uli showdown, with the final two being the guys. I like all three, so I'm fine with whatever the outcome.

I believe this filmed over the summer, and Katie Holmes will be an upcoming judge -- if not the final judge.

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

These reflections are off topic to this PR All-star season, but related. I am convinced that judges on PR who are also designers (and indeed many designers in the fashion industry) gain a lot of ideas and inspiration from the designs created by contestants on Project Runway. Obviously, in fashion design there has always been a lot of overlap and borrowing of ideas. I suppose the key is in not just stealing an idea, but in making it your own through creativity, right fabric, construction, tailoring, draping and execution, and making the overall concept feel fresh and original with everything coming together (and especially for a show, choosing the right models and presenting clothes with the right styling). Many top flight designers have hits and misses too.

I enjoyed the documentary on Marchesa. Wow those dresses are indeed "pieces of art," as Halle Berry said. It was interesting that Anna Wintour helped Georgina and Keren of Marchesa gain more attention by suggesting that they pose their designs with live models and with headless mannequins on pedestals, where the dresses could be seen up close so that the amazing details in the dresses have more impact.

Looking at Marchesa's Spring 2013 collection with its India-inspired theme I liked some pieces more than others. There was a white dress with fringe reminiscent of the flapper looks that Uli designed during the current PR Allstars season. The couple of pants/ tops looks I didn't like much, and I didn't care for the belly-baring looks either. But there were a number of dresses that were quite lovely: http://www.fashionologie.com/Marchesa-Spring-2013-Runway-24903232? I particularly liked #s 5, 18, 21, 22 (reminded me of a dress Sonjia did in the way it is draped), 29, 30, and 33.

There are some stunning looks in the Spring 2011 Marchesa collection, but some I didn't like at all. Some outfits have 2 views ... I liked looks 1-8, then 11-12, 17-18, 22-23:
    http://www.fashionologie.com/Spring-2011-New-York-Fashion-Week-Marchesa-2010-09-15-163045-11011480?

Look 17-18 in Marchesa's Spring 2011 collection reminds me of Ven Budhu's rose aesthetic (PR season 10), but done in the Marchesa style which is very unique.

Ven Budhu first gained recognition in the fashion industry when he received Designer of the Year honors upon graduating from FIT in 2006. I found this site which shows his Spring 2012 and Spring 2013 collections:

http://www.gavaskarny.com/gav/collection.html

I think Ven damaged his reputation when he insulted his client during the regular woman challenge on PR season 10.

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Most of the Marchesa designs, much as I admire their construction, seem only appropriate for the "Runway" to me.
    They are so conceptualized, or "fashion forward" that few people in the marketplace would/could consider them.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that's true.
    A shame, because I believe he's extremely talented.
    I hope that his career hasn't been completely derailed because of this thoughtless, regrettable episode.
    Are there any reports about what he's doing now?

What I appreciate about Ven, is that he took some of the best inspirations of Marchesa; along with his own concepts, and rendered them in such a way that a sophisticated actual consumer would buy/wear them.
    Some might have found him "old fashioned"; but, I didn't.
    He has the skills and POV shared by some of the great designers of the past.
    That's something to be encouraged; rather than mocked, or ignored.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Love his collections. He really is talented. I hope the rudeness fades, I would hate to see a ruined career over one (edited) temper tantrum. He also reminds me of Zac Posen with some of his pieces.

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

By all accounts, from the "client", her sister who nominated her, Tim Gunn and the behind the scenes blogs on the PR site, editing was kind to Ven in that episode and it was WORSE than what we saw.

6. skatesindreams

I suspect that Ven is not the only designer who shares - and has expressed - similar opinions about "normal", or "plus sized", clients.
    However, they aren't aired on national television.

The response from the public/backlash from the industry may have been a considerable punishment for him.

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i wonder how many people that would be in the position to buy an original ven would relate to that client. if i really wanted a dress of his, i wouldnt care if he was a tool or not.

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I think for me, it was him trash talking that poor woman all over the place. He was just downright rude to her and her friend. In the real world, if you're going to someone for a custom, expensive item, you want to be treated at least normally, if not like a queen. You want a piece that flatters your body type. And you want someone who won't take your money and then talk behind your back (or to your face) about how fat you are or other perceived body issues. Bottom line, he was a jerk to the client.

If I had the $ to get a couture wardrobe, I'd be beating down the Marchesa door. Doesn't matter if it's not practical, I want them to make me an Alice in Wonderland collection. :lol:

9. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I love Marchesa, too.

And I finally watched last week's episode last night and was also surprised Ivy wasn't given the boot. She'll never make it to the end, though, I agree that will be Anthony Ryan, Emilio and Uli, with AR FTW. Oddly, I don't remember loving his stuff in his own season but he's the strongest designer this season, I think.

10. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Ven did a lot of great designs I've seen at Macy's. I picture a very fashionable 40-45 year old woman who goes to garden parties. It's very well executed and tasteful and flattering. And borrr-rrrring. Everything Ven did, I saw somewhere else first. He does one look well, and he can make a career on that, but he's never IMO going to be a "name." He'll never have a spectacular failure, but I can't ever seeing him having a smashing success either. He would never, ever, ever be capable of conceptual design.

I've always wondered about the designers who bitch about plus sized women--meaning anyone bigger than a four. Surely they realize the vast majority of women, even at a higher price point, is going to be bigger. And even if they are a size four, they aren't necessarily going to be tall sticks and have a model (straight) figure. They might have hips, boobs, oddly proportioned, anything. Dressing someone who is a size 16 will probably not as

I did not like Emilio in his own season, but I really like him. I like Emilio to the point that I think he should be a judge someday--he's so incredibly knowledgeable about fashion and fabric and history.

11. PRlady

Bye, Ivy. Finally. I could have designed some of her stuff and that's not a compliment.

Elie Tahari is my favorite designer but I wait for his stuff to go on sale before I buy it. Meaning a $500-700 dress is a LOT of money for almost everyone, and I wouldn't spend it on any of the dresses I saw tonight. That said, I thought AR's dress was the deserved winner, it actually looks like a Tahari design and will fit in well with the bright, structured look he favors.

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Sounds like AR is still kicking arse. I ran into him the other day, must have been in town for a little while. Hope he wins it all!

13. cruisin

I liked Uli's best. And I thought she represented Tahari well. Tahari has done a lot of woven/fringed "Chanel" type jackets and dresses. And Tahari does a lot of inverted darts and top stitching.
    I thought AR did a Tahari style dress, but the fit was not good. The way the side panels were set in made the model's bust look wide and out of proportion. I think the reason it looked Tahari was the fabric.
    I thought Ivy's fabric was gorgeous. But, she didn't do anything with it. And it was too long or too short. If she was going to do a long dress it should have been to the floor, not mid calf. And the vent should have been in the back, the side slits ruined it. And, she should have done a fitted bodice and set in the waist. Then the belt wouldn't have made it look so bunchy.
    Joshua had a great idea with the lace and stretch wool, Tahari has done that many times. In fact Tahari did a wool tweed with black lace last season that was gorgeous. Joshua screwed up the zipper and he should have sewn down the front pleats. The idea was good, the execution, not so much.
    I didn't love Emilio's dress. Hated the color and it was boring.

14. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Nice thing about HD is one can see the textures in the fabrics when they do close ups. That being said, I thought Uli’s fabric choice looked familiar so I checked in the closet...yep...very similar fabric.... very similar colour...but...it’s a tablecloth.

15. cruisin

16. tlk

tlk Active Member

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How come Uli did nothing but prints on her first season, and now almost all white? Still, I like her stuff best.

That is very different. And just under $400, not $500-$700.

I have 2 Tahari dresses from the late 70s when they cost less than $200. Of course, they are size 4 or 6, and I am, um, larger than that now.

18. cruisin

Tahari's fit has changed completely from the fit during the late '70s. It used to be a very non-curvy cut. Fit me well. Now their cut is more curvy. I can't wear his pants or skirts anymore. I can wear some dresses and jackets/blouses. Sizing is also a bit inconsistent. I can wear anything from a 0 to a 6, depending on style. Theory, which used to part of Tahari has the old Tahari fit, though their jackets seem to be very shrunken.

19. PRlady

Theory is REALLY shrunken. I have to go up one size in Tahari and two in Theory, at least on top. And Tahari is indeed more curvy, which I appreciate. ;)

Hafta say that although he seemed like a hellava nice guy on PR, I would never have identified that as an Israeli accent.

20. skatesindreams

As do I!

Thanks for the recap.
    I missed last week's episode.
    I was out of town; helping my niece find her wedding dress!

21. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I would appreciate the curvy now.

22. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Anthony Ryan's dress is very sad. Like Eeyore meets a tent.

Moto Guzzi and (deleted member) like this.
  23. duane

duane New Member

Isaac is in a love-fest with AR. The praise he gave that dress was ridiculous!

24. PDilemma

The holstered uni-boob look is not good. He's done so well up to this.

25. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

That episode was pretty predicable. On the one hand, I was anticipating it, since the "real woman" challenge has always involved one (or more) of the designers b*tching about having to design for someone who's bigger than a size 4. Can't do that this time....you insult one of these women, and you better leave the country. On the other hand....there was NO WAY the judging panel was going to say that one of these women was wearing the "losing" outfit. So of course there was no elimination.

(Also...Anthony Ryan had the iffy-est outfit, and since the judges have a major crush on him....he's not leaving.)

26. PDilemma

I think they wanted to get rid of Uli or Josh and neither came through with a mess. So they were backed into a corner because Emilio and Anthony have been their favorites. Thus, no one was out. I didn't think they were hesitating to say what wasn't working. Anthony's client gave them every opportunity to eliminate him without offending her as she pointed out the issues herself. And they picked on the construction of Emilio's without attacking his client. So I just don't think that was the issue. The issue was they would have had to eliminate one of their two darlings of the season.

27. cruisin

I thought both Emilio's and Anthony's dresses were atrocious. Ill-fitting, poorly made, and ugly. I thought Anthony should have been out. That dress was hideous!

28. duane

duane New Member

AR--not Emilio--has been the darling of the judges. I think they have been overly critical of Emilio while overly praising of AR. Last week, I thought for sure AR would be either safe or in the bottom, but his ill-fitting dress actually won! And I thought it was obvious that AR was the worst this week. Emilio's outfit may have had some construction issues, but at least it was flattering and perfect for the occasion. There was nothing flattering about AR's dress (the hair didn't help).

29. skatesindreams

Anthony Ryan saved himself by "giving the client what she wanted"; the opposite of what happened in the ill-fated "real woman" challenge.
    I do wish that well-endowed women - and those who design for them - could see that it's more flattering to support and "accent" the bust, as a feature, instead of trying to "hide" it.

30. Ageless

Ageless Member

I think Josh had to win this challenge or he was gone. He was the only one of the remaining designers who hadn't won a challenge (in fact all three of them have won multiple times). I really thought Uli's was the best, but Josh also had the model with the prosthetic leg and the dog named Isaac. I think the judges already had their final three in mind and when Josh didn't bomb, they went with all four.