Project Runway All-Stars: Villians. Razzle-bedazzle and snarky turkey disco!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Let's go! Fricking-frock!

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Jem X

Jem X Awaiting Skate America

Suede? Come on!

3. duane

duane New Member

Emilio! Cool!

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Two threads are up re this season's PR All-Stars. Can an admin pls merge into this one and close the other ...

Thanks.

5. Matryeshka

I think this season they went for personality rather than talent. When Cassanova's in the top, you know you're in trouble.

6. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I think you're in trouble when the top 3 looks look like ass. I thought the blue team had a better collection.

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I've literally just seen the runway (was at work) and...okay, while I agree overall with the team win (I WILL CUT A BITCH FOR KAYNE'S BLACK LACE GOWN/SUIT/WHATEVER IT IS) but their choices for winners? Say what? They're all...I hope Casanova's just makes more sense in person. Ivy's is great up top, and the shorts.... :eek:, Anthony's..the back saves it.

(I thought Suede's skirt was cute.)

8. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I think the blue team's downfall was that they were the "blue team". Making everything the same color does not make it a collection.

Not a great start in my opinion.

9. Matryeshka

Camel Toe FTW :rofl: :eek: Of the three, Ivy was robbed. I don't understand how Kayne wasn't at the top.

Peach out first, which should be shocking to no one. She seems like a nice person, but she was not a great designer in her own season much less here. But yay for Marquesa girl. New host isn't horrible; she might get better as the season goes on.

10. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I missed Season 8 entirely so I have no prejudices....I liked Ivy's jacket. :shuffle: And Uli's and Kayne's dresses certainly had the wow factor, how could they have lost to Anthony's simple little pants schmatta?

The mysteries of PR continue....

11. aftershocks

New host is definitely better than the previous All-Stars host. I thought the right team won overall. The judges did point out that had the blue team won, Laura Kathleen on the blue team actually had the design that won the most points on her team. I'm glad Anthony Ryan won. I really liked his top and the way the back surprised on the runway (despite crotch issues with the pants). The downfall of the blue team I think was a kind of sameness in the use of blue and black. The winning team seemed to have a bit more versatility in the way they used the fabric colors. Also, good choice of word for overall theme: confident.

I liked Ivy's jacket too -- it was different, but maybe it might have had more impact paired with pants rather than the leather shorts.

ETA:
    On the blue team, the best outfits were Laura Kathleen's, Emilio's, and Joshua's -- but they were overshadowed by the poorer efforts of their teammates, plus the not so great choice of colors to demonstrate their theme. On the white team, I thought Althea's outfit should have been in the top three. I think Althea, Emilio, Anthony Ryan, Laura Kathleen, Uli, Joshua, and maybe Ivy might be the strongest designers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  12. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I didn't start watching until season 4.

Wendy Pepper: Yikes. Didn't take long for her to say "I'm not here to make friends" - the mark of the self-designated meaniepuss.

13. PDilemma

She is a piece of work. And wasn't a very good designer on her season. Go watch her "catch-up" video on the lifetime site. Some sentimental BS about draping yarn on Nepali women thus discovering her life's calling in fashion. Odd that that exotic story never made it on camera in her season.

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Snape just won last week. I'm not ready for another season! :p

Casanova looks like he's melting. Love how Ivy was all "He's my assistant. Wonder how long that'll last. Laura Kathleen had on one of her final collection bracelets. (Still my all time favorite collection.)

dbell still does not like Suede. Who was that bald weirdo in the bottom 3? Dude looks like a spastic serial killer. :scream:

15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Wendy Pepper :lynch:

16. aftershocks

:lol: Andrae, of "Where's Andrae?" fame (Season 2 -- the season where I got hooked). ;) Andrae was not one of the designers who stood out on Season 2 for his designs necessarily. Memorable however for his histrionic crying, and the overall antics and byplay between him and other contestants, especially Santino (and even Tim Gunn). :)

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

But Andrae gave PR one of its best looks of all time, the gutter water inspired gown. I've searched all over and can't find a picture, but it was stunning.

18. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

He was so robbed in that challenge. Daniel's outfit was lovely but Andrae's was extraordinary. :swoon:

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Andrae not only has done some great designs, I mean, come on...we NEED Santino back just because Andrae's here! "Where's Andrae?" And the Red Lobster story....

I still cannot believe that was the top three. Again, I can only assume Casanova's looked a lot more impressive in person. Ivy and Anthony Ryan's were great...from the waist up. But NO ONE (who isn't built like a model) can wear those shorts, and Anthony's pants...if you can't make them well in the time allowed, consider a skirt. Or making them in black where the camel toe isn't quite as obvious.

Wendy's "mean" (for certain values) but she has long been outclassed by Ivy and Wretchen (and never put out anything that looked nearly as bad as Wretchen's "winning" Softer Side of Sears 1970 collection.) Or participated in anything like the bus-throwing runway Wretchen lead against Michael C with Ivy toadying right along. I'll believe Ivy's improved her attitude when I see it....

20. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

21. aftershocks

^^ You have a good memory. I don't remember that challenge, much less the outfit. Andrae was strange but somehow lovable and everyone on his original season kinda loved him.

I did a search and found a photo of Andrae's "gutter water dress" (probably from Season 2, Episode 8 "Inspiration") on a blog by Nick Verreos (who was one of the PR season 2 contestants):

http://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/2009/11/project-runway-nick-verreos-recap-on.html (scroll down to the last photo)

Andrae was in the top for the episode 8 challenge, but OUT on the episode 9 challenge. So he was one of the top six designers on Season 2. You can check the Bravo TV website for Season 2 videos, and Wiki has a great rundown on all PR seasons/ episodes.

I think PR Seasons 1-4 were the best, and they are all available on DVD.

Oh, I see Impromptu beat me to it re the photo of Andrae's famous dress. The link I found from Nick's (Bravo TV blog) gives a larger view with front and back looks. :)

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Peach was only cast, IMO, so that they would have easy "cannon fodder".
    Suede was fortunate that she was there,
    What was the blue team thinking?

I would have given the win to Ivy, rather than Anthony Ryan.

23. aftershocks

:lol: :lol: I noticed from my research that one of the other quotable quotes from PR Season 2 is: "What happened to Andrae?" Yes, Santino should make an appearance on PR All-Stars, Season 2 (perhaps as a judge!) -- however, I don't think Santino is a favorite of Heidi's. Santino may not want to be on PR again either as I think the judges' critiques kinda blew his inspiration and design aesthetic. Santino and Austin Scarlett (PR Season 1; All-Stars, Season 1) had a reality fashion makeover show together which didn't last very long.

I agree that Ivy's and Anthony Ryan's looks this week were chiefly great from the waist up, and the back of AR's top is what made the outfit. I thought Althea's dress was perhaps the best overall, and should have at least been in the top 3. I guess the judges liked the richness of Casanova's leather and lace dress, but they were right that it needed more length, which was a key feature that made Althea's dress work so well.

Ivy gave Joanna Coles the excuse that she was going through a hard time personally as the reason for her being "out of sorts" and vindictive on her initial season, so yes, we'll see how it all plays out this time. Everyone seems to be acting overly friendly for this first episode of All-Stars, Season 2, at least on the surface.

ETA:
    Yes, skatesindreams, the more I look at Ivy's jacket (and the unique fan-like effect of the lace on the sleeves and sides of the jacket), the more impressed I am. Still, it might have had more impact paired with pants.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  24. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    If she'd paired it with pants, they would have said that it wasn't "fashion forward" enough!

25. aftershocks

^^ :lol:

True, too often, there is no accounting for the judges' tastes or the results of their scoring. ;)

26. PDilemma

Just looking at last night's designs on "Rate the Runway" at the lifetime site. I think Wendy should be very glad her team won because that short of a dress should not have anything fringe like near the crotch area. Just doesn't look right!:scream:

27. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

WRT Andrae's water dress, this link has a picture of the dress and the photo that inspired it. I think that gives some context for why it was so amazing. The gutter water was so mundane, but the point was to take inspiration from something and translate it into the dress and Andrae did that incredibly well.

I thought Ivy's outfit should have won. The jacket really was well done. I know the shorts seemed like an odd choice, but the idea was to do something dramatic and a skirt or pants would not have had the same impact. And even with the shorts, it was still classy enough that the shorts looked out of place. I also think Uli and Althea should have been the others in the top-3. Uli's might have suffered from seeming the least cohesive and Althea's may have been dinged because the lace was centered in parts and then off-center in others. I really did not like Anthony Ryan's top that much. It looked very matronly from the front. I understand the judges were wowed about the "surprise" with the back, but who cares about the back if the front looks like a maternity smock?

The "bold" team really scared me. Other than Laura, I didn't see one good look. It does make me wonder why they selected a lot of these people as "all stars."

My other comment is that it did feel like we got very little time spent on the actual construction of the garments. After the 90-minute episodes for the regular show, the 60-minute all-star episode seemed very short, especially when it also reintroduced the contestants. I hope we do get more time on the construction in the remaining episodes.

28. Matryeshka

Josh and Emilio were hosed, and Ivy's dress/hot pants thing was awful. Uli's SyFy Saturday Night Movie featuring futuristic Pocahontas in the top is a head-scratcher. I don't know that I'd have it in the bottom, but it shouldn't have been in the top.

29. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Either I have no taste or the judges don't. Of the "top 3" Cassanova should win.

ETA Wow! I'd've thought Andrae would get the boot. Is it me or does Andrae seem over Project Runway?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  30. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I have to agree - I can't believe they kept Andrae after that design. I did like Uli's dress the best, but it wasn't really disco-inspired.