Project Runway All-Stars - "It's All About The DRAMA"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skatesindreams, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

What the heck? Aside from Korto, Elena, and Irina, wasn't everyone else born in the US? And unless Seth-Aaron is a second-generation American (and can draw from parents' country of origin), he can just do whatever the hell he wants. Weird, and not great planning - what would they have done if there had been no reasonable way of avoiding an all-US finale?

And, come to think of it, what if your aesthetic as a designer doesn't really reference your "origins?" You have to completely rethink who you are as a designer for the "six days to make six looks" (or whatever ridiculous timeframe they're given) final mini-collection?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You are right. As much as I love Momolu, this theme is basically hand-picked for her as her designs are influenced by her ethnic origins. Which isn't fair to the other contestants. Slivnyak isn't American but her design aesthetic is futuristic.

3. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I just want to reiterate that's how the theme was explained to me by Alyssa, so there might be some other components.

I'm assuming they had to book the U.N. well in advance, am I'm sure it wasn't "rigged" for non-natives. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

4. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Well, I guess what she told me was somewhat accurate.

From an article posted yesterday the U.N. site:

"The United Nations is in fashion this winter. Fashionistas descended on the world body’s iconic New York Headquarters recently for the filming of the season finale of 'Project Runway All Stars,' – which airs tonight on Lifetime – where three finalists showcase original clothing lines inspired by their family heritages."

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=46890&Cr=education&Cr1=#.Us7RT-KubjA

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

there is absolutely no way seth aaron can win this, regardless of what he makes.

6. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I didn't like it at all, and I usually love everything he does. Also hate the Ukranian one.

So Korto for the win?

7. my little pony

lol, what do i know?

i think his was better than the other two. bless georgina for pointing out that a lot of korto's was a mess.

more importantly - somewhere snooki is trying to get alyssa's outfit, someone in the wardrobe dept really hates her

8. duane

duane New Member

Most of the decisions made no sense, so there's no surprise of the final decision.

9. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

I wish they'd have had more than 4 days to make a 6 piece collection. Korto had three really great looks and three that were absolute afterthoughts it seemed and I agreed that she should rethink her tailored looks. She doesn't do anything to transform them from their Liberian roots and make them look contemporary. Her three great looks were perfect for the QVC customer though, so I was kind of expecting it to go her way and was very surprised when it didn't.

Seth Aaron is the only one who put forward 6 distinct looks that showcased variety but also had a laser beam POV which is the mark of a mature designer. My guess is that the line the he designs for QVC will look nothing like what he designed on the show. He's gonna have to simplify quite a bit I think or maybe focus on accessories.

Elena's collection was super cool and modern but a tough sell on QVC. Not a practical piece in the entire collection from either a manufacturing standpoint or a wear-ability one, with the exception of the scarf dress which was super cute. Glad Victor told her to get a grip and we were spared a full melt down.

10. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I agree, none of them should have won. What a mess, who do they think would wear thoses clothes? The only clothes wearable for K's

11. my little pony

seth's 5 piece collection is up at qvc, i'd post a link but i've overbrowsered myself and have an hourglass on anything with pics or video.

12. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

Here's a link to the collection.
    I like the yellow top and the polka dots ok. Looks like he was given a $20 budget for all 5 pieces.

13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Seth Aaron was my favorite in his season. But, I was stunned when he won this time since that final challenge was tailor made (no pun intended :shuffle: ) for Korto. And if she had put out a flowing gown collection, she might have won. The 1 piece pants outfit was cute. I FLOVED her yellow maxi dress until the model turned around. :yikes:

Elena's Swiss cheese Judy Jetson collection was hideous, so the less said about that crying harpy's collection, the better. :scream:

SA's red trench was gorgeous. His scarf dress was amazing. That black dress with the back cutouts - beautiful. The hole punch dominatrix wear - meh. Unlike Issuck, I hated his white dress.

Unfortunately, he designs for stick figure models, so his QVC mini collection is a bust. Too bad they didn't recreate some of the finale looks.

Shame they auffed Irina. Swap her out for Elena, and you'd have had my dream runway.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I feel absolutely crushed. Korto Momolu the bridesmaid AGAIN. :(

Having said that I can't say that I disagreed with the decision. I think the win could have gone to either her or Henderson and both of the decisions could have been justified.

Slivnyak's collection was easily the weakest. As Mylano pointed out, she's a one trick pony, rehashing the same silhouette. And her looks looked very unfinished (she bit off more than she could chew for such a short amount of time).

Momolu's collection did seem quite uneven. Some stunning pieces but some not developed enough. I thought the stronger looks were fantastic though (that jumpsuit! :swoon:) and her collection was the most wearable.

Henderson showed fantastic tailoring and made a very strong statement. But I thought he crossed the line and it was just all too 'Halloween costume' which the styling only accentuated.

15. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I've seen some of Seth-Aaron's pieces locally (a couple of years ago), and they weren't designed for stick figures. Don't like that collection, though.

I think LA is probably a good choice for him. His aesthetic should work pretty well there.