Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The PR website consistently seems to indicate that Elena is the top "fan favorite." This has always rendered me :confused: The votes must all be from her family and friends. Why doesn't Dimitry at least have more "favorite" votes from fans, especially since he gets no great love from judges??? Maybe because he seems to have a calm, well-adjusted personality? Or maybe because he looks so much like Snape? :p

I agree with the poster who said that Alicia should have been auf'ed weeks ago. She's clearly been just scraping along. Whatever she is very good at as a designer (if anything) is not really showing in this competition.
  2. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Alicia reminds me of one of the early season contestants who did mostly menswear. He admitted afterward that he did PR as a crash course to increase his chances of finding employment.
  3. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I caught up with the last two episodes last night. Dmitri was totally robbed, I picked his as the winner. Chris' was OK in terms of blending with the collection, it could have been worse.

But Elena's was godawful (and her artistic-diva-despair made me laugh.)

In other news, I don't think we'll be seeing Joanna Coles again on PR: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...opolitan-joanna-coles-replaces-kate-white/?hp.
  4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think if Dmitry had done his in bronze or a very dark, maybe a little iridescent green, or even a red, he would have won. I think the color/style was just too close to what they already had.

On another note, the dress Heidi wore for the runway judging, whose was that? On my iPad, it looked cheap and tacky.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

rob i think you're right about winning. but he could have still finished in the top considering what poorly wrought mayhem finished ahead of him.
  6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

totally. I watched it again with friends and it was equally :huh: the second time around.
  7. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I agree....but these might not have been available to them since the fabric was provided.

I'm so sorry to hear about Laura's husband. My prayers go out to the family and her.
  8. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*BUMP*!!!

Ok, Elena is making fun of Dmitri's accent? :huh:

Crazy-assed nutter. :rolleyes:
  9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I couldn't wear it, but I love Ven, Fabio and Melissa's collection. The jacket is really cute.

ETA: well it didn't look so good afterall. The shirt was awful.

Matry, the networks did that ready to wear show last season where the designs were bid on by Macy's, Saks and H/T. The designers also had a team of semstresses to help with the sewing. They focused on the design rather than the construction. After all, Ralph Lauren doesn't sew. That's what he has all those Indian and Chinese kids for afterall.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  10. my little pony

since it isnt the winner and no one wants snape's dress, i will be generous and take it
  11. my little pony

elena reminds me of my brief career teaching sullen 11th and 12th grade girls
  12. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Why does Dumpster Diver always have to look like Annie Hall?

Even Williamsburg hipsters are like: "Girl, no."
  13. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

"Something should have been in that crotch.....that a girl doesn't have."

Thank you, Michael. :rofl:
  14. rfisher

At least Fabio, Melissa and Ven had a good supportive attitude toward each other. Ven could have argued that his original skirt was much better and he didn't.
  15. my little pony

i hope elena leaves as she vexes poor snape
  16. rfisher

Seriously? This proves the producers keep designers for the drama and not the skills.

Pacman is eating her crotch? :rofl: Kors is on a roll.
  17. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Next week: "I see an homage to a menstrual cycle."

Oh, Sainted Mother of Mainbocher, TIMOTHY!!!! :lol:
  18. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

I switched over to Obama. Who got aufed?
  19. my little pony

the girl with the dreads who wore a mechanic's jumpsuit. i'm not sure that she has a name.
  20. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Heh. :rofl: Alicia
  21. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Did Elena pout too much as a child and that whole "Your face will freeze that way" thing is actually true? My God...I would have sent her home for twice now being the one reason a team did nothing but squabble and for doing absolutely nothing but sulk the whole time.

I'll be off now, have to go steal the winning jacket. I love it.
  22. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

We'll have to arm wrestle for it. I love it too. :)
  23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Loved the green jacket and the whole winning collection.
  24. cruisin

I thought the trench was interesting, but what is the purpose of a sleeveless trench? It's not practical, it's more editorial.

I watched the show at my daughter's place, and was distracted. I have to watch again.
  25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It was.
    Tim didn't seem to care for it, though.

Additionally, Ven has great construction skills.
    The team didn't use them to advantage.

The producers are placing him in the "background" since the "real size" challenge.
  26. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I liked Dimitri's dress -- his shawl was a desperate afterthought tho' that did not complement the dress. However, the judges might have been kinder to Dimitri in their assessment this week. I felt sorry for Dimitri. After all, the judges have not rewarded him in past weeks when he should have been winner or in the top at the least when he was tagged as "safe." Dimitri is obviously one of the better designers on the show. Clearly, the producers decided in advance who to team with whom, just for the :drama:

Too bad Dimitri was unable to get over needing a "stake and a silver bullet" to deal with Elena. He should have grabbed Elena by the throat off camera and explained to her they were both in danger of being auf'ed if they didn't try to come up with something together and help Alicia. Oh well, it seems the judges still love Elena (WHY?!) and Dimitri felt he'd be better off sticking with his own aesthetic and crossing his fingers. If the judges loved Elena's dress last week (which should not have been in the top) why did they so hate her coat this week? Neither were well made or well thought out, tho' of course the coat was worse.

Boris and Natasha of Rocky and Bullwinkle was a funny line in reference to Dimitri and Elena. :lol: However, Elena is more like Natasha than Dimitri is like Boris. Another apt characterization might be Morticia and Gomez Addams of the Addams Family, but only in the way that Dimitri and Elena might be accused of being rather morbid together and perhaps of loving each other "to death." Morticia and Gomez were always truly in love tho' and Gomez seemingly enjoyed and gave in to Morticia's need to be in charge. So, again even in this instance it appears that Elena is more like Morticia than Dimitri is like Gomez (altho' Dimitri's physicality is a better match with Gomez, than with Boris).

I loved Sonjia's jacket. Maybe she is back on track to be in the top three. Again I'd love to see Dimitri, Chris, Sonjia in the final three, but Melissa and Ven are also talented designers. Like someone posted earlier, Fabio is a dark horse. I agree with the judges that Fabio, Melissa and Ven were maybe too complacent and confident this week and did not challenge each other enough. They had the most money but their pieces just looked blah and inexpensive. Melissa seemed traumatized after throwing Fabio under the bus.

Sonjia, Chris and Gunnar had the least money and came up with cohesive, well-made garments that looked high-end and expensive. Funny that Gunnar and Chris worked well together with each other and with Sonjia (despite G & C acting like they despise each other in tell-all spots). Gunnar's dresses looked good and Chris' trench altho' impractical somehow worked well with Gunnar's dress. Sonjia's model knew she looked great, and she exuded confidence on the runway.

ETA:

ITA, skatesindreams. I also think Ven himself has simply been more subdued as he should be, since the "real size" challenge. I believe that Tim did not dislike Ven's original skirt, but just felt Ven's skirt did not go with the other garments. It was up to the designers to decide how to perhaps rework the other garments (or their overall concept) to match the construction/ tailoring of Ven's first skirt. Or, to have picked better fabrics to work with in the first place.
  27. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Just to say it, Team Natasha and Boris had the least amount-- $500. Sonjia's team had $600+. Venn's team had $800+.

I was impressed with the way Gunnar and Chris worked together. They understood the challenge, put their personalities aside, and were professional. It's what we all have to do every day of our careers-- work with people we may not like.
  28. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Collections, including decoys, should be up on tomandlorenzo.com in the next few hours. From their tweets, they seemed to like Elena, Melissa and Fabio the best. Dmitry, Ven, and Sonji the least. They liked parts of Chris and Gunnar's collections. Now we have to do some sleuthing to figure out who the real final three are.

btw, they've promised "spoiler free" when they post the collections. From past experience, the comments may have spoilers. Be forewarned.
  29. skatesindreams

I think that the producers realize that Ven possesses skills at a level which they rarely see on PR.
    He also has a design aesthetic/POV (even if some don't like it); and a "couture" mentality rare in someone so young as he.
    The industry needs that, because couture ideas "drive" ready-to-wear fashion, even if they are "adapted" for the average customer.

What he presents is rarely "trashy"; or technically inept/sloppy.
    You can't say that about many of the designers that have appeared on PR.
  30. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I think Dmitry needs to be more vocal. I'd like to seem him with less bitching and more command. I think that is why he fades in the background. He is still my favorite. The shawl was not good, too thick and large. I get that he wanted to show "fall season" but I wish he had designed a jacket to go over the dress. He should have outsourced some of the work by getting the pants girl to do more than pants. But then he would have had to take a commanding role and he doesn't do that.
  31. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

No, Tom and Lorenzo are NOT allowed to like Elena's and dislike Dimitry's collections! I won't have it!

My Little Pony, your comments on this show are almost as good as the zingers Dimitry threw out there. Kudos! It's hard to beat, "She's walking depression," "You wake up mad," and the one about e proper way to kill witches (something about stakes and silver bullets...)

I love Dimitry's dresses, but I do hope he's not a one-way monkey. I'll be keeping an eye out for T & L's photos.
  32. PRlady

Just watched this belatedly. The right person won and the right person was auffed, and it's a rare week I can say that!
  33. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

34. Michalle

Michalle New Member

Lost track of what thread I had opened, and thought the whole first part of this post was about Elena Ilinykh (who I love, btw) and then I was like, why is this part about a jacket here?
  35. PRlady

36. cruisin

Agree with PRLady. I liked Ven's and Elena's the best. Gunnar's was :eek:!:rolleyes:!. For someone who claims to have his finger on the pulse of the average woman, he went completely off the wall. There were a few elements of Dimitri's that I liked, but overall, it was just costumey.
  37. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

For a split second, the image of Domnina/Shabalin's 2010 OD flashed in my brain...... :shuffle:

I respect that he was adventurous in putting forth a very strong POV and styling, but perhaps it's references were a bit too specific for the runway show they are all hopin' & prayin' put their names on the map. We shall see........
  38. my little pony

people cant say it doesnt look like a cohesive collection

it looks like something designed for busch gardens kenya
  39. skatesindreams

I agree with the consensus; although I'm not sure which one the judges will prefer.
  40. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I don't believe that they made hundreds of dollars for those ghastly t-shirts. They must have had Bunim-Murray staff posing as New Yorkers-on-the-street buying that crap. Although I had to laugh at the hypocrisy of Elena bashing Dmitry's sales-pitch.
    The auf was completely predictable. Had Andrea and Kooan not jumped ship early on, Alicia would have been gone before now.
    I have no idea who will win this, but after seeing the collections on TLo, I hope it's not Elena or Ven.