Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*delete*
  2. duane

duane New Member

The old lady should have been sent home.
  3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I missed it, watched gymnastics. I did look at the photos, on the web site. With the exception of Ven's, I thought they were all awful. Thought they were all shapeless and ill fitting. Now, I may like them better on the show, the photos may not do them justice. So, I'll watch when it comes on "Demand".
  4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

5. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Why didn't the pair designing for Milo use that fab print to accessorize somehow? Maybe make a bolero jacket or something, just to spice things up.
  6. skatesindreams

Mila didn't like the print.
  7. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Snape and Goth barbie's dress looked like a satin snuggie!
  8. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

She said it was too day-timey, which it would be if used for the entire gown. But just a touch of it here and there would have helped the gown and she probably wouldn't object to a small amount of the print if it would liven up the boring thing she wound up with.
  9. skatesindreams

I wondered if they had ever seen Mila/her designs before?
    Their concept/execution bore no resemblance to her aesthetic/taste.
  10. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The weird thing is that although "Gunnar Deatherage" sounds like a name devised by J.K. Rowling, it's someone's actual name. :eek:
  11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

While I think Ven/Fabio made a great cocktail dress, there was nothing Grace Kelly on the red carpet about it. This is a Grace Kelly on the red carpet look. Too bad none of the three seemed to know that. Melissa/Dmitry were robbed.
  12. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I agree. It was more Dorothy Maguire at the 1952 Photoplay Awards than Grace Kelly.
  13. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

The three best dresses (in terms of meeting the brief) were the three safe dresses - April, Laura, and Valerie had the best red carpet looks. I really loved how Melissa/Dmitry gave a nod to Old Hollywood glamour - kind of an updated Jean Harlow look.
  14. shan

shan Well-Known Member

My first thought when he was announced as the winner. :EVILLE:

Yeah he was ridiculously overdramatic. I agree that Judy Collins was a mess to work with, but if he couldn't confront her during the challenge, don't bring it all up on the runway. :rolleyes: That said, she's kind of cuckoo and I wouldn't want to work with her.

I thought Ven/unmemorable designer's dress was so :yawn: I thought the judges would slam them for making a Kenley dress. Didn't Kenley make that exact silhouette almost every challenge?

:respec: April getting rid of the silver granny hair and bringing purple instead!! Can you imagine her wearing that silver gown while sporting her centrum silver hair?? :scream:

I was :rofl: at Irina having to work with Kooan. She looked so ticked off right before the runway show.
  15. duane

duane New Member

That pic of Grace Kelly is one of my all-time favorite pics of her. I think it's a still of her from the movie The Swan.

But I thought the Ven/Fabio dress was very Grace Kelly-ish. She not only wore full length, but calf/mid-calf length dresses at movie premieres and also in her movies (Rear Window and To Catch A Thief come to mind). What would have really made the overall look more Grace-like are white gloves and a more stylish hairdo.
  16. cruisin

I don't know what the assignment was. I assume, from this thread that it was to design something Grace Kelly'ish. If so, the only gown I could see her wearing is Dimitri's and Melissa's. The rest were blech. I agree with duane, the Ven/Fabio dress was absolutely Grace Kelly, in the movies. Just not sure that I would have done black. She tended to wear more pastels, embroidered florals, organzas. But the style, spot on.
  17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ The challenge was to make a red carpet look for the Emmys. Kenley said she wanted something Grace Kellyish and she basically dictated silhouette, length, fabric, etc. Ven came up with the details and Fabio helped sew.
  18. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I was amazed that they put Mila in that outfit, fabric disagreements with her aside. Particularly because they kept talking about themselves as menswear designers. Mila seems like the most ideal "client," at least from that bunch of former contestants, for using some menswear concepts in an edgy red carpet outfit.

My opinion of him dropped a lot in this challenge.
  19. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

^^Agree. Didn’t they meet her when she was wearing a tuxedo type jacket? They should have done an edgy take on a tuxedo, that’s more Mila’s style.

He’s this year’s Michael C.
  20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I gave Christoper a pass because he was dealing with a slow laughing lying liar who lies. He won the first challenge and she couldn't figure out how to use a sewing machine? What exactly does she teach her students? She said in the stew room that she didn't want to be there and then told the judges she hadn't said it. And I would have had her monstrosity last week in the B3. It was candy dot disaster pouf.

I liked Raoul's candy outfit last week and was sad he went home. He was pretty cranky in his exit interview. Blamed Mila for the loss. :rolleyes: But, I would have had Snape and Alicia in the top 2. No clue how Hello Kooan (TM Bert) and Gunner got there.

According to Laura Bennett's blog on lifetime, Kenley was a total bitch the whole time and Irina suggested the chiffon scarf to cover up the fit issues. Mila was really annoyed with her people too.
  21. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Yeah, Christopher was being a bit of a drama queen, but judging by what we saw, working with Andrea was really frustrating, especially in view of the fact that initially he was hoping to learn something from her. Unfortunately all he learned was that she was a nutcase.
  22. duane

duane New Member

Agree with entire post. Mostly, I'm still totally :confused: :confused: :confused: that she wasn't in the B3 in the candy competition.
  23. skatesindreams

I wonder why Andrea was selected in the first place?
    What did the producers see in her?
  24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

christopher won the first challenge based on the dress he made at home. his 2nd dress made in the workroom made me question if he made the first dress alone or if he just needs way more time than PR allows. nothing he has done in wk 2 or wk 3, and wk 2 was not a team event, has changed my mind. he overestimates his genius.
  25. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I can't say what the producers saw in her, but she has photos of some pretty amazing designs posted online. The contrast between those clothes and her output for PR is rather :eek:. Presumably the producers imagined there would be more similarity.
  26. skatesindreams

I suspect that it is extremely difficult to produce quality work within the time constraints imposed by PR.
    Most contestants seem surprised; and at a loss about how to deal with them.
  27. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

They should practice. PR has been on long enough.
  28. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yep. It should not be a surprise to them.

Andrea's construction problems are a mystery. She acted like she didn't even know how to do some things this last week, yet is a design school instructor. How does that work?

Whenever someone has problems with sewing on the show, I have to wonder how much assistance they had making the designs they showed to get on the show.
  29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Maybe Andrea teaches courses that don't involve actual sewing?
  30. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

I can't help but think of Andrea as being "The Crazy Cat Lady".
  31. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I think "Bjork rejects". :shuffle:

Watch out, Thai journalist ladies......

Just looked at the "Before the Runway" portfolio photos. There resides some fugly hipster crap. :yikes:

Buffi the Good Taste Slayer and Dumpster Diver in particular.
  32. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Well, the designers basically burned Judy Collins in effigy.....

....and rightfully so, IMHO. What a dipsh!t. :rolleyes:

Oh jeez, now LIGay has a guilt complex.

Pokemon wants to return to the mother-ship? Oy vey.....
  33. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Tim Gunn was on the Daily Show the other night. Jon asked him why they seemed so surprised when they run out of time. Tim said a few of them thought they actually had a week and thought it was TV editing that pared them down to one day.
  34. cruisin

I wonder why they don't give them more time. I realize that they can't take a week. That the filming and editing, etc. need to be done. But I think they would get far more interesting and better finished outfits with two days. Am I remembering correctly, didn't they get two days when the show first started?

I understand Christopher feeling guilty, he feel like he threw her under the bus (which he did). But, she deserved it.

I thought all three top three looks were fantastic, this week. I also loved Ven's. What I liked most about Ven's was that you would have expected that dress to be black, navy, red. but, doing it in a camel color was so unexpected and it worked! I just think they felt they couldn't let him win/be top 3 3 weeks in a row.

I think they should have knocked Buffy and Raul off. They were both hideous.

I liked Gunnar's out fit as individual pieces, but I don't think they worked together. I especially didn't like the brown tones in the skirt with the burgundy top. And the top and skirt were two different statements.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  35. skatesindreams

You spoke for me.
    I believe you're right about the two day timeframe for challenges at the beginning of PR.

Ven's skill level must be amazing, given the complexity of his designs/construction required.
  36. cruisin

I know! The zipper set was amazing, all by itself. Anyone who has put in a metal zipper knows how hard it its to just put one in, straight up the back. But, to achieve that beautiful curve, with no puckering or bowing - amazing is the word!
  37. skatesindreams

Ven doesn't complain about what he's asked to do, either.
    He just fits what is required to his aesthetic - beautifully.

I'm not surprised at Kooan's exit.
    Japan seems more accepting of avant-garde/weird design then PR is.
    I hope that he finds what he is searching for; but, I don't see the "talent" that he believes he has.
  38. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

Laura Bennet's blog on this episode gives some really good information on what the designers' go through. Especially those that get eliminated.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/blogs/laura-bennett-blog

Her theory as to why Andrea left how & when she did is something I would not have considered. I can certainly see the producers being more concerned about the results being spoiled than Andrea's well-being. I did not know that kicked off designers have to be sequestered until the final is over. I don't watch reality tv, so maybe this is typical of all these shows?

It's interesting reading the different blogs by former contestants. They usually do not agree on the winner or the top & bottom designs. What they all tend to agree with, though, is the fact that more talented designers did not make the show while ones like Andrea, Buffi, Kooan, and Raul did. Pisses me off.
  39. duane

duane New Member

Didn't at all agree with the elimination. When someone who had already been voted off is allowed to return, and then immediately ends up in the B3...the heave ho!
  40. skatesindreams

I thought that both Raul and Buffi should have gone.
    Neither have the skills required to make their designs/aesthetic effective.

Buffi, if you are going to present yourself as "Betsey Johnson II", you have a long way to go!