Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I doubt that most of the designers who have judged (even Kors, who thinks he's "Mr. Everything") could produce anything worthy of praise.

2. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

OK, Fabio or Costello-lite for the win!

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i'm happy to say that melissa, snape and christopher's collections all look better on tv than in the still pics, havent seen fabio's yet

4. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my favorite is snape's, i will wuzrob him a long time when he doesnt win

no offense to tom and lorenzo but there isnt a piece in there that i covet. i will say his collection stands out due to his color choices and lack of black. but it is my least favorite.

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I can make a case for any of them winning except Christopher. Love Fabio's the best. It was the most unique and looked gorgeous in motion. I just don't know how well it will sale at Lord & Taylor. I need Dmitri's feather duster sparkle dress at the end. I would wear it to Wal-Mart.

7. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Sorry, but Fabio shouldn't be thrown a bone so he can do better in the future.

8. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

Well it sounds like they can't decide between most commercial versus most conceptual. Every year they change their criteria. Dmitry is commercial, Fabio is conceptual.

9. duane

duane New Member

This was my immediate thought. I give Melissa 3rd for that white dress!! And how badly for the model...walking in fashion week without being able to walk! I'm okay with Fabio or Dmitri, but liked Fabio's collection the best.

10. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

Dmitry!! Snape wins!

11. skipaway

Dmitry. :cheer2:

12. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Yes! The judges got it right. And I'll buy his stuff when I can, really.....

13. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

LOL, they spent more time on Fabio losing than Dmitry winning. Can't bring out his family; they're in Belarus.

14. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

Tim Gunn is tweeting about how Dmitry is a lovely person and how his (Dmitry) story is the American dream "from nothing to something extraordinary".

15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I have it DVR'd but Dimitry. :swoon: I can't wait to watch.

16. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I'm happy Dimitry won. It took the judges awhile before they fully recognized him over the course of the season, so it's wonderful to see him win in the end. However, I didn't love, love any of the collections. I thought Dimitry's looks were all well-constructed and he did work on making the clothes look youthful. Seeing the looks walking the runway was better than just seeing the spoiler photos. He put on a good runway show. It was nice to see the yellow dress and the white architectural dress break up the darker pieces. It was a cohesive collection too. I agree with the critique that the final gown edged too much toward costumey. Yet overall, everything worked, despite the fact I don't like the heavy brow styling on Dimitry's models (altho' again it didn't look as bad on television). It would have been so interesting to see the show live.

I thought Fabio's collection was pretty and he made it look so much better than last week with the layering and the other touches. The styling of his models was much better too (maybe they do receive styling help behind-the-scenes). Fabio seemed broken up in the post-show interview about not winning it all. But coming in second, he's in great company with past second-place winners. I could wear some of his pieces, and I could wear most of Melissa's too, except for the white dress (which she didn't have time to rework). I did like Chris' print and many of his outfits, and when I first saw the spoiler runway pics, I thought Chris could win (that it would be between Chris and Dimitry) but I have to agree with the judges that Chris had a lot of trouble figuring out his direction and how to make his collection work thematically.

Since the designs look different in motion, I really wish it was possible to see some of the runway shows of the other 4 contestants, especially Ven's and Elena's.

Congrats to Dimitry!

17. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Way to go Dmitry!! I've been rooting for him from the start....

Too bad that none of his family could be there in person.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Yes, I was hoping there would be a surprise where the show helped bring a relative of Dimitry's over to see him on the stage at Fashion Week. I believe they did do that for a former finalist (altho' the relative lived in the United States, not Belarus). It would have just been nice even if Dimitry didn't win (i.e., the producers could still have done it just to surprise him, obviously not knowing he was going to win in the end).

19. skatesindreams

Bless him for that!

I'm so happy for Dmitry
    His collection was wonderful.
    I want to buy something also.

I hope he's been able to see his family.
    They must be so proud,

20. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I thought the right person won. Dimitri's collection was the best. I didn't think I would like Fabio's, but on the runway, it moved beautifully. I also really liked Melissa's. I agree with the judges about Chris. He is very talented and makes beautiful pieces. But, he doesn't know who he is yet. He got in his own way by not focusing on what he does best and over creating. Saw that Elena won the fan favorite prize of $10,000.

21. duane

duane New Member

When they said "there's one more person to congratulate you", I was hoping it would be one of Dimitri's relatives, but it was Tim!

I was surprised the judges said nothing about the awful makeup of Dimitri's models! I had to blank out how badly the faces looked to enjoy the collection.

22. skatesindreams

Tim complemented all the final collections.
    I had the impression, from the time of the "home visit", that Dmitry's was his favorite.
    He seemed particularly impressed by how the clothes "showed" at Lincoln Center.

As someone said: "Dmitry is ready now".

I was impressed by Jennifer Hudson's critiques, as well.

23. skipaway

I was :confused: by Jennifer's outfit...1970's pantsuit??

24. skatesindreams

There was a big difference between what Jennifer wore and Heidi's attire...wasn't there?

25. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Heidi looked ridiculous. I know she's in post-divorce whoopee mode which has a strange effect on women's style, but that much skin is just odd under the circumstances.

26. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I wonder if they tried but couldn't get visas for Dmitry's family? I remember reading that Elena Berezhnaya's mother couldn't get an entrance visa to see her daughter skate in the US because she was considered a risk for visa-jumping. Maybe they just couldn't get all the paperwork through, at least in time.

27. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

So happy to see Dmitry's strong and surprise filled collection, and a much deserved win. He did good work all along, but the collection was a leap forward.

Fabio's was beautiful, too, and much prettier and lighter than the photos indicated.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Yay!

29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

Some thoughts on the finale:

Christopher and Melissa both made the same mistake of having a collection of a wide variety of separates and dresses without a strong cohesive theme. Usually demonstrating your skill at making various types of clothing (pants, dresses, shorts, tops, etc) is good, but not when it doesn't look like a unified collection. Chris had the "hard" leather pieces, the flowing Xray print, the soft worked fabric, and no overall theme aside from "frantic". Melissa....making almost your entire collection black and white does not make it cohesive. You need to have a strong theme to pull all of it together. Think "military" or "elizabethan" or "goddess" or something that you can flavor each piece with even slightly. And the themes she mentioned.....something about death into life, and then during the judging panel she mentioned something about the intersection of the absurd and sublime or some such emo crap (I swear I saw Nina rolling her eyes at this)....aren't strong enough to pull your collection together.

I rolled my eyes a bit at Fabio's "cosmic tribalism" theme, but you know what....it worked. I got it. The collection was cohesive, and I got where he was going, despite not really being into the style. I wouldn't have minded Fabio winning. Being able to make the viewer "get" the vibe and see it as interesting even when it is very different and not their cup of tea....takes skill and creativity. He was very wise in taking the advice to make it look more luxurious.

Dmitry's architecture theme wasn't quite as clear, but his collection was still cohesive and his clothing was impeccably made. I would be far more likely to wear Dmitry's stuff (that silver dress....WANT), it is far more commercial than Fabio's collection, so the choice this year was between the designer who is ready to put out wearable, sellable clothes and the designer who is stretching the boundaries, may have a more limited clientele, and may need time to learn how to make his clothes sellable.

I wish they'd given the designers more than 5 weeks to work on this.

Jennifer Hudson was useless as a guest judge. Too many of her comments seemed to boil down to "you are awesome".

30. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

This. With L&T coming on board, the wearable/sellable won. Had this been a Bluefly year, it might have been Fabio.