Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Mila Hermanovski weighs in on her PR blog:

"What did actually happen to Sonjiaʼs gold fabric? When we select fabric at Mood, we pay for it, the Mood cashier bags it, and then the producers take all our bags away from us and bring them to Parsons, where they are given back to us. Just sayinʼ..."

If Sonjia had left that gold fabric on the cutting table, there would have been a brief close-up of it lying there after she walked away, I'm sure.

Elena also "lost" some fabric earlier this season, as I recall - the Rockettes challenge? And both times, neither designer had a receipt to refer back to like Kenley when her tulle didn't get put in the bag, allowing her to go back to Mood and get the tulle. I think the producers remove the receipts (and fabric if they want to sabotage a designer) between Mood and Parsons.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Just a note for those of you who like to play with makeup: the Enchanted Queen colors are :swoon: for when you need a dramatic look. Actually the lipstick would work every day, the eyeshadow needs to be saved for night.

3. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

Unless you're me, who still channels Siouxsie Sioux. Even in a business suit.

4. PRlady

OK, so who didn't see that coming? ;)

I couldn't have picked who to boot off either, and besides I like all four of those designers as people. (And they seem to like each other, too, the bitchy comments were really at a minimum.)

As usual, I don't get Fabio and can't figure out who would really wear these shapeless clothes. Melissa's stuff I would wear if I were 30 years younger and Chris' I would pass on to my much edgier friend, but Dmitri's white dress I want right now...

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The only collection of the four that I love is Dmitry's.

He should feel great about Tim's critique.
    That man has taste, style, and sophistication; most importantly he acknowledges/appreciates it in others.
    The judges seem part of a different universe, IMO.

What was Fabio thinking?
    No matter the hand-dyed fabric: the concept and resulting outfits are terrible.

6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

No surprise. I couldn't pick one to boot either. I don't get Fabio's clothes either, but I appreciate the creativity. I was surprised that Dimitri didn't get called out on the white dress, that it was so much like the black one he did for a challenge. But, I did love the white dress and would totally wear it! The judges just usually make that sort of comment. I thought is was a mistake for Melissa to do two shorts outfits. One pair was way too short! Loved the leather jacket, though - would wear that too! I thought Chris' was too blah for him. I have a feeling that the rest of his collection will be more true to his style, and that's why they kept him.

Agree, but what universe? :lol:

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i could have easily booted fabio. maybe it is creative but it looks really cheap like a theme collection from chico's.

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  8. cruisin

It odes have a Chico's vibe! You nailed it!

9. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

I think the only reason they didn't boot Fabio was because his was the only collection (at least what they saw) with any color in it and they wanted some diversity on the final show. But since they couldn't boot him, they had to let everyone stay.

10. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Plans were probably to get rid of Melissa or Fabio, but Christopher the chosen one showed 2 skank shorts outfits and the judges were stuck. Can't auf the golden boy and keep "Ropes" when Heidi loved his stuff.

Seriously - X-RAYS? Couldn't he find another way to honor his mom? Or were her bloodwork results still at the lab? :p

Fabio's stuff was total mid 80's Miami Vice bo ho wear.

Loved Snape's dress, hated the mesh top.

Melissa's wigs were total :rofl: but I liked pieces of her collection.

11. skatesindreams

Judging by what we saw when Tim was with him, I can't wait to see Dmitry's complete collection.
    It's a shame that he had to choose his three looks according to what could be fitted on the models, in a rush.

Fabio's collection looked like a throwback to a Hippie's "bad trip".
    A "cosmic nightmare", IMO.
    I've never seen what the judges are so excited about.
    His construction skills are lacking.

12. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Fabio's collection screamed Miami Vice to me. The neck pieces and purses looked like craft projects. I'm completely baffled by the praise.

13. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

14. skatesindreams

He doesn't know that's it's all been done before, I guess.

15. cruisin

:lol:The necklaces reminded me of those plastic needle point kits!

16. skatesindreams

17. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: I think the judges, producers, Tim, and other contestants love Fabio's mellow personality, and he does have some creative skills. Like many here, tho' I'm not that into him or his designs that much either.

As much as I love love love Dimitri, I still have to say he has missed the mark a bit with his collection. Again, I think all the top designers are so burnt out by the last challenge that five weeks to prepare a Fashion Week collection really means nothing. They probably needed more than half that time just to rest and recuperate rather than trying to rack their exhausted designer brains and creativity to come up with something unique, cohesive, and kickin' fabulous for a runway show. OTOH, Ven and Elena had a lot more time to rest and come up with something more attention-grabbing if nothing else than to give the finger to the PR judges and to gain some cred and foothold in the design industry (especially since no one knows who actually made it to PR top 3 or 4, when the 8 final collections are presented during Fashion Week).

I am spoiled of course having already peeked more than once at the Final Collections. But even just on the basis of this week's show, Wow, what were Fabio and Melissa thinking re those horrendous wigs their models were wearing!? Thankfully, they both ditched the wigs, I believe, for Fashion Week. Melissa's initial offering is actually worse than what she ends up with finally. She definitely brought in more color. I'm not sure what Fabio did to tweak his collection and make it look more expensive on the runway. I thought his colors and fabrics were pretty, but too one-note and ultimately nothing special.

All four top designers I suppose were lucky that none of them hit a home run in the Pt. 1 final analysis, so the judges were stumped and had them all come back to compete for the whole shebang. Despite the fact I didn't like Elena's and Ven's personalities, if they were going to have top 4 compete at Fashion Week, IMO, it should have been Dimitri, Chris, Elena, and Ven. Tho' I don't think we would have seen the exact same lucky huggy four hug at the end of Pt. 1 finals. ;)

I shook my head at all the top 4 when Tim was encouraging them to put their best forward. Like the judges' commented, What up with all the excuses? Why did any of them think they needed to hold back on their best pieces!? I was particularly aghast at Chris' skimpy shorts and skankier shorts. Why didn't he want to show the judges his showstopper dress?? I think Chris' x-ray fabric was cool, as was the distressed leather, but his collection also lacks color. Altho' since he is a favorite of the judges, Chris may well win in the end.

I think Dimitri could have hit a home run with his talent and construction skills, but the judges are right: His styling is awful. And the heavy brow treatment he ends up with later on is mind-boggling, especially after the judges in Pt. 1, prodded him to rework his styling for youthful appeal. I also am not in love with Dimitri's color palette for his final collection. I particularly do not like his sheer see-through tops. The white pants are well-made and well-designed, but don't pair well with that top. I also like the dress, but lack of good styling doesn't give it the impact it could have. The jacket is gorgeous but not paired with the sheer top, etc.

I really wish we could have some inkling in a wrap-up show or article re what the PR judges actually think of Ven's and Elena's final collections. I suppose PR protocol will prohibit any insider critiques of auf'ed contestants.

18. skatesindreams

I think they need a stylist on the team to guide them for the finale challenges
    Design and presentation are two distinct skills.

When you have only a short time on the runway to make an impression and every glance can "make or break" your chances, they need someone to advise; as Tim does, before the final showing.

19. cruisin

I think they should hire us! :)

20. skatesindreams

I believe I could do more for them than some of the people they have.

21. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

I'm not getting some of the love for Christopher here. His work is just okay. In fact, none of the remaining designers really are all that fabulous. They're all...just okay.

These last few seasons have produced a startling array of mediocre designers.

I still remember when Jay blew my socks off in his season 1 runway show. And Korto...and Laura Bennett...and Uli...and oh Jesus basically everybody before Wretchen Grannypants.

I'm very bummed about this show.

22. skatesindreams

There's a reason why we haven't heard much from some of the "winners" of PR.

23. aftershocks

^^ Right you are succubus. I think generally PR seasons 1 - 5 were the best and it started to go down in overall quality and excitement after that. I actually never finished watching all of PR 6, I got so turned off by the inaccurate auf'ing and generally underwhelming challenge outcomes. I barely saw any of PR 7, but I did come back for PR 8 (and I'm glad I did just for the experience of witnessing Mondo -- but not Gretchen), and PR All Stars II. I don't even remember who won PR 9 at this point.

I do think Dimitri is ultimately the best of the bunch in PR 10. Too bad PR doesn't allow help with styling tips. As I said before, I think they need to rethink anyway how they judge the final 8. Maybe final four should be picked from what Final 8 prepare for Final Collections.

Fabio and Melissa, IMO, were not up to snuff ultimately. Elena did not do well during the season's challenges, but she was clearly talented and hungry. The judges perhaps kept her in as long as they did because the producers love the drama. Ultimately tho', it seems as if Elena gave the best runway show in terms of thematics and entertainment value, not necessarily in terms of range.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  24. PRlady

Didn't Anya win last season? She had nice stuff but it all looked like a mid-price resort collection. Wearable but not wow.

I didn't tune into PR until the Sasha dress episode :shuffle: when I was alerted by FSU, so I guess I missed the first two seasons. There have been flashes of brilliance but this is not the way the next great designer is going to be discovered. It's just fun TV.

25. aftershocks

^^ Oh yes, right, Anya! I did watch PR 9. :shuffle:

Actually, the Sasha episode was in Season 2, and I think that may be how I got tuned in as well, and then I was hooked. I loved Santino (despite his crazy skating outfit), and Andre, et al. The following Season 3 was the absolute best!

26. cruisin

I think the Sasha dress episode was one of the worst. Maybe because, being a skating person, I know what skating dresses are supposed to look like. They had no clue. And had no idea how to stone them.

27. aftershocks

^^ Yeah, possibly you could describe that as one of the "worst challenge result episodes," but season 2 overall was definitely a defining one for PR that helped garner viewers, ratings, and buzz.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

YES!

that's where i've seen it. and a rather unwelcome blast from the past it is too.

the photos from my formative years are so depressing

29. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

I'd love garanimals for adults to return. :lol:

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well, in fairness, if time's as short as the blogs from past contestants indicate, even if they knew how to stone, even with a skating dress (which overall just doesn't have as many as your average ballroom gown) doing it right would eat up a TON of their time It boggles my mind how the judges will sometimes pick on how a particular more 'crafter' detail is poorly finished and I'm just thinking "So they created a design, made the pattern/pieces, cut everything, created and fitted a garment, fixed any problems that arose when the design went from paper to 3D, had to finish all the fussy bits that you have to fix to make the clothes look finished...judges, YOU go do that and complain about everything not being faultlessly finished like a production sale piece."