Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Elena, Tonya Harding and Tonia Kwiatkowski called. Tanya wants it shorter and Tonia wants sleeves.

2. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I swear Miki Ando wore Elena's dress a few years ago...her Egyptian program.

Ven's color was pretty but wrong for the runway.

Next week's challenge looks ridiculous and I don't think Sanjia will last.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

people shouldnt have a stupid challenge just because heidi endorses something

and what is with the irritating health class babies?

4. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ha ha, yes, I was going to say Elena's dress looks like a tacky fs outfit. I thought she might be auf'ed too, but she always seems to ultimately be given a break by the judges. If Elena made the top three, she might run those breaks all the way to a big win. However, at this juncture, I'm thinking Chris or Dimitri must definitely have made the top three, and the ultimate win might be between the two of them. The only question now is who became/ becomes the third contender.

I said in an earlier post that Ven might learn humility before the season is over. (Granted it was surprising to see Ven being more friendly and actually helping out Melissa with hand sewing). But too late, it's over and auf'ed for him. Yes, Ven's fabric was pretty but he did nothing with it. Have to agree with the judges that without his "fabri/ florigami" schtick, "Origami Rose" doesn't smell so sweet. ;) In the end, Ven might have hit a home run with his Fashion Week collection, but as it turns out his ball barely got over the fence, and it wasn't a four-run Grand Slam because he isn't in the final three.

I dislike Fabio's dress. I think he was extremely lucky to be safe, and I hope he doesn't make the final three. Perhaps the third spot will come down between Melissa and Elena. I'm glad Sonjia wasn't auf'ed this week. After all, she won the previous week, tho' her feather outfit this week was not well thought out, not well-constructed and not a good idea. Also, Sonjia's Fashion Week collection is hit and miss (mostly miss).

Dimitri, as usual, got the short end of the stick this week -- maybe because his gorgeous dress was felt to be too edgy and not "family friendly" enough for Radio City. I love Dimitri's dress, the construction, the way it moved, the design, and the attention to detail. I hope Dimitri wins in the end, but there does appear to be some problems with his Fashion Week collection. Chris might be the overall winner of PR. He generally has good taste and good ideas. Chris didn't do a great job last week, but he was genius this week, except I think his NY skyline design might not show up enough on stage due to the color of the dress. Perhaps the color will be deepened or altered for the Rockettes to wear.

ITA that next week's challenge looks ridiculous. Baby wear? Seems like an advertisement for Heidi's new baby/ children's line at Babies 'R Us. How are these designs going to "walk" the runway? If PR wanted to go in this direction, why not have the contestants design for toddlers instead? I wish PR would have another challenge in which the designers must design outfits for themselves. That was a fun challenge during season 3.

5. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

Every time I see the ads for Heidi' Truly Scrumptious" baby line, I hear the soundtrack from "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" running in my head - the female lead's name was Truly Scrumptious and wore white frothy Edwardian dresses to go car-flying. :)

Of last night's designs, I liked Ven's and Chris' but the colors were too bland and there was no way the outfits would have any impact when seen from the cheap seats. Dimitri's design was striking but I didn't care for the color - too Goth for the upbeat Rockettes. I think if he'd used a brighter color, he could have won.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Wonder if next week's (idiotic) challenge will have the "twist". Wonder if they will have to create co-ordinating Mama outfits.

Agree that it is ridiculous to create a challenge based on Heidi's baby collection. :rolleyes:

7. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The outcome was forseeable.

They were determined to get rid of Ven.
    I don't think they would have "liked" anything he did.
    The judges tell him to do something different/outside his comfort zone.
    He does; and they call it "boring".

It would have been a different and interesting look for The Rockettes which, I thought, was one of the aims of the challenge.

When the disparaging remarks continued during their discussions - and who knows what we didn't hear; I knew he was done, even though his design was by no standard the worst on the runway.
    All of you have done a fine job of describing those!

8. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I'm so with you on both comments.

I bet you all dollars to doughnuts that the Rockettes end up commissioning Dmitri's look in addition to Chris'. It was so well done. And if not, I'd buy it to skate in for my next competition.

9. skatesindreams

^^^
    Dmitry and Chris' dresses were my favorites, as well.
    Dmitry 's clothes combine "architecture" with wearability, very well.

10. duane

duane New Member

I immediately thought this as well.

Bye bye dough boy! I actually didn't think Ven was the worst of the night, but all that matters is he's gone.

11. aftershocks

^^ Yes, I agree that Ven's outfit was not the worst for this Challenge. However, despite the prettiness of his fabric, the overall outcome was boring. As one of the judges said, the design and construction of Ven's outfit did absolutely nothing for the model's body. Obviously, there is and always has been a lot going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of. Ven spent his capital with the judges a long time ago, plus he failed to do anything fantastic to rebuild his standing. And when you get on Tim Gunn's bad side, well that's gonna mark you for the end of the road too.

However, IMO, it is how a designer takes some of the often ridiculous and belittling criticism on PR that will determine how far they go. It's a combination of how good you are as a designer and how you respond to the PR torture that's key. Ven is a good designer with a seemingly limited aesthetic, and he doesn't take criticism well. He seemed to sulk and give up. I don't think Ven is the worst contestant ever on PR -- some past PR contestants have displayed awful personalities, but were either liked by some of the judges or perhaps by the producers (Elena is a case in point, in this regard). Ven apparently was increasingly disliked by the judges, Tim, and the producers. I always loved Santino from Season 2, but he is generally regarded as having been hated by a lot of people. I'm sure the producers loved him (with all his witty quips and his outsized personality). Santino is an interesting designer/ character who lost his way with his Final Collection.

IMO, Ven never recovered from the way he reacted and the insulting things he said during the "real woman" challenge.

Maybe PR could have an All-Star series that brings back all the designers that people loved to hate. :p

12. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Well, it's not the first time the judges have eliminated boring designs while keeping tacky designs that at least tried to meet the objectives of the challenge.

13. aftershocks

^^ Absolutely true! Too many times to count, in fact. And this has happened regardless of whether or not the contestant was well-liked or hated. I do think the judges' feeling about a bottom candidate's design skills as well as personality and ability to take criticism also factors in (along with input from producers and Tim). Over the seasons, there have been numerous auf'ings that have been undeserved too, IMHO, while lesser efforts by less skilled designers were safe. In Ven's case, he didn't perform well last week and this week, as well as having poor showings for the most part in the group challenges.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Ven has a signature which means that his future lines will be distinctive and recognizable. He isn't versatile, but he doesn't need to make costumes and plus sized clothes if his line sells well.

Chris and Dmitry are far more versatile, which is what you need to win Project Runway.

15. my little pony

and elena is a little mentally unhinged which is what you need to overstay your welcome. she's not even nutty in an interesting way.

16. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Actually I like her. She helps me imagine what Tinami was like at that age.

17. skatesindreams

True. on all counts.
    I expect that Ven will find his place in the industry.

18. my little pony

i like to think that tinami would crush all competition

19. cruisin

I think skating people are more sensitive to how outfits will appear from a distance. And how lighting (and the ice) can suck the color out of everything.

I like her too. But, I have from the beginning. I think she's talented. A bit crazy, but (we :lol:) artists can be crazy. I thought she got a bit over the top, but thought that she seemed to be stressing. That she was actually a nicer person than was coming across. I genuinely think she was crying for Ven last night, not just relief that she made it.

20. skatesindreams

I do, too.
    She said that learning about Ven's background - much younger male in a household of women - made her understand him more.

21. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

Loved Dmitry's, I totally would have worn it as a skating costume. :lol: Christopher's was nice, but could the detail of the skyline really be seen from a distance on the stage?

Next week's challenge looks like a nightmare. :scream:

22. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Next week - ugh! at least use 3/4 year olds. They have some shape.

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

I've only been watching PR half-hazardly this season, and after the "Real Woman" challenge, I don't think I've ever been as disgusted with a competitor as I was with Ven (with Jeffrey the Tattooed Giraffe making Angela's mother cry running a tight second, and I nearly tore my hair out with that asshole won the season).

Since the beginning, I've been on Team Snape -- the fact that he's a former ballroom dancer was an added plus.

So long Origami Rose, your shitty attitude won't be missed one bit.

24. cruisin

Next week will be painful to watch if they really have those fake babies crying and disrupting the workroom. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck they are thinking.

25. my little pony

angela's mother was a horrible person who i think was trying to sabotage the competition

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Yep. She and Angela were playing passive-aggressive games with Jeffrey. Whereas, Ven's "client" did no such thing.

27. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I'm holding out hope that the designers have to care for the babies while designing for a mother...

28. cruisin

I'm still thinking this will be one of the "twist" challenges and that they will have to design for the baby, then Tim will come in and tell them they have to design a co-ordinating look for the Mom.

29. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

A. Promote Heidi's line of children's clothes
    B. Torment the contestants

Die Kluminator's sense of humor has a hefty dose of Schadenfreude tinged with sadism. I've seen it over and over on past seasons of Germany's Next Top Model, where it's more overt than it is on PR.

As for this week's ep, I actually liked where Fabio was going with his design before Tim's critique - the zigzag diagonal stripes on mesh. And I still might have liked his final product had he not added that hideous, opaque, gray, turtle-necked yoke. That really killed what could have been a kind of fun, Xena, Warrior Chorine look.

Elena. Oy. For a girl who professes to hate glitter, she went seriously overboard with the shine and sparkle and bling. There was nothing good about that dress. It didn't even fit the model.

Melissa and Sonjia...sigh. Melissa's recycled crumb-catcher neckline was wrong for a dance costume, and Sonjia just made a bad cocktail dress.

Comrade Snape. My personal favorite. I think he made the best dance costume. Unfortunately, it wasn't right for the Rockettes. I don't think he got that the Rockettes look is G-rated retro-glam with an element of kitsch.

Christopher, on the other hand, totally got that. I liked his idea; it was a clear winner on the dress form. He should have stuck with his original idea for the skirt, but lengthened it, and gone with a black or blue mesh in the bodice to make the NYC skyline really stand out. I can see why he won, though.

Ven...yawn. Take away the florigami and he has no ideas beyond "simple, clean, polished" or whatever his mantra is. Another one who didn't seem to get what the Rockettes look is. There was nothing fun or theatrical or even interesting about that "costume". Yes, Elena's was hideous and garish and badly made, and I hate everything she makes, but she at least tried for theatrical details that could be seen from the cheap seats. Ven did not; it seemed as if he was hoping his fabric choice alone would carry him through.

30. aftershocks

^^ Great critique on all counts, Nomad! You express so well re Dimitri's, Fabio's, and Chris' designs (strengths, weaknesses, and how they could have improved them to more fully meet requirements of the challenge). Thank you! -- likely the Rockettes will slightly adapt Chris' offering, perhaps similar to what you suggest.

Heidi "Die Kluminator"! :lol: :respec:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012