Project Runway 10 Starts Tonight

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Jul 19, 2012.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I really do not understand how Elena's wasn't only not eliminated, but in the top scores. It wasn't well-made, it wasn't attractive, it wasn't marketable, and she didn't believe in it herself. Gunnar's at least was boring but a pretty little dress that fit his model.

2. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ The producers are keeping Elena in for a. the DRAMA she delivers and b. the fug she sends down the runway every week. :rolleyes: Alicia will probably get auf'ed next week. "We didn't see you in that design" or something like that.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

4. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I liked Ven's design, including the pleated treatment of his "trademark" rose.
    I believe that he was held out of the top group as an acknowledgement of his attitude toward last week's client - which was dreadful.

I don't have to like him as a person to appreciate his skill.

His clothes are always well-made.
    He is one of the only designers to understand the difference/balance between production and couture - and how to accommodate that.

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think Ven didn't make the top 3 partly for his behaviour last episode but mostly because he once again did his fabrigami detail which only works if you're built like a model. Can you imagine a woman with a large chest trying to wear that dress? He's not interested in dressing L&T customers. Only models are worthy of wearing his art.

6. skatesindreams

The same could be said of most things seen on couture runways.

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

True, but many designers also create RTW versions of what they send down the runways. Couture gets the attention, but RTW pays the bills.

8. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like uli's best for me, i wonder if they have them in stores, i dont like buying things i havent tried on

9. skatesindreams

True; Nomad.
    Without the couture "buzz", though, there would be little interest in RTW - sadly!

I'm afraid that Ven's feelings about "real"-sized women are probably more commonly held among designers than we think.
    Ven was more obvious and obnoxious than others.

Who said that they "couldn't design for anyone with boobs"?

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Olivier Green from Season 9. And yes, designers' attitudes towards "real"-sized women aren't limited to the big names who show at Fashion Week. For seven years I worked for a clothing manufacturer whose bread and butter was casual RTW (mainly T-shirts and jeans) and a lot of those designers had the same attitude. They designed and cut for their favorite fit models and "real" people just didn't come into the equation. And this was just as true re the menswear designers.

11. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

12. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

{{{{Laura}}}} I was wondering why she suddenly quit blogging for PR, but having been there myself...I feel for her. :(

13. skatesindreams

My sympathy and thoughts are with you, ((((((Laura)))).

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

So tragic. And their children are quite young.

15. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Poor Laura.

16. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I like Seth Aaron's dress!

17. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

So sad about Laura! I just came from the Lifetime site and was wondering why her blog hasn't been updated in a couple of weeks. So many young children :(

Just read that her husband was 67!

18. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh no Laura! She's one of my favorites (designer and blogger.)

20. skatesindreams

For me as well.

She's one of the few contestants they ever had who understood what couture was; and had the skills to achieve it.
    Her commentary is insightful, also.

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

The PR website consistently seems to indicate that Elena is the top "fan favorite." This has always rendered me :confused: The votes must all be from her family and friends. Why doesn't Dimitry at least have more "favorite" votes from fans, especially since he gets no great love from judges??? Maybe because he seems to have a calm, well-adjusted personality? Or maybe because he looks so much like Snape? :p

I agree with the poster who said that Alicia should have been auf'ed weeks ago. She's clearly been just scraping along. Whatever she is very good at as a designer (if anything) is not really showing in this competition.

22. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Alicia reminds me of one of the early season contestants who did mostly menswear. He admitted afterward that he did PR as a crash course to increase his chances of finding employment.

23. PRlady

PRlady still standing

I caught up with the last two episodes last night. Dmitri was totally robbed, I picked his as the winner. Chris' was OK in terms of blending with the collection, it could have been worse.

But Elena's was godawful (and her artistic-diva-despair made me laugh.)

In other news, I don't think we'll be seeing Joanna Coles again on PR: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...opolitan-joanna-coles-replaces-kate-white/?hp.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I think if Dmitry had done his in bronze or a very dark, maybe a little iridescent green, or even a red, he would have won. I think the color/style was just too close to what they already had.

On another note, the dress Heidi wore for the runway judging, whose was that? On my iPad, it looked cheap and tacky.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  25. my little pony

rob i think you're right about winning. but he could have still finished in the top considering what poorly wrought mayhem finished ahead of him.

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

totally. I watched it again with friends and it was equally :huh: the second time around.

27. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I agree....but these might not have been available to them since the fabric was provided.

I'm so sorry to hear about Laura's husband. My prayers go out to the family and her.

28. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*BUMP*!!!

Ok, Elena is making fun of Dmitri's accent? :huh:

Crazy-assed nutter. :rolleyes:

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I couldn't wear it, but I love Ven, Fabio and Melissa's collection. The jacket is really cute.

ETA: well it didn't look so good afterall. The shirt was awful.

Matry, the networks did that ready to wear show last season where the designs were bid on by Macy's, Saks and H/T. The designers also had a team of semstresses to help with the sewing. They focused on the design rather than the construction. After all, Ralph Lauren doesn't sew. That's what he has all those Indian and Chinese kids for afterall.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  30. my little pony

since it isnt the winner and no one wants snape's dress, i will be generous and take it