Programs season 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by millipied, May 3, 2011.

1. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

He's still alive right ? I'd sue Lara Fabian if I was him :scream::lol:

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Chaplin wasn't one of my favorite programs of theirs, but I agree that it was definitely in character.

I also agree that Dr. Zhivago was very elegant and I liked the music for the Golden Waltz.

Do I like some of their more esoteric programs more, yes, I do, but I think the point may be that the judges seem to respond more positively to programs like the ones they used last year. Unfortunately, it seems that the judges only like a narrow genere of music/choreography. When I think back to the early 90s in dance, there was such variety. I know that a lot of the changes have to do with the rules and especially this BS rule about uplifting music. However, there is tons of non-generic, "uplifting" music out there.

3. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Doesn`t he get royalties from her? The price to pay to get your songs butchered.
    There is also a version by Dalida. That would have been more uplifting!!!

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Corpses don't generally perform seriously and stoically. They tend to just lie still and rot.

kimkom and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Was is the Serge Lama version that Plushenko skated his exhibition to last year? That was fabulous!

6. Libertango

Libertango New Member

Ok so I've just listened to Lara Fabian's version and I can sort of see why they would pick, it's a little more suited to be danced on.

But no way in hell are the lyrics uplifting! Here's an english translation.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  7. equatorial

equatorial New Member

And if I were Jacques Brel and alive in 1971, I would've sued Lama for copying me slavishly :p This doesn't excuse that Fabian wench though :lol:

8. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Yes, that puts you in suicide mode instantly. I can`t imagine having to listen to it every day during practice.

9. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Evidently I'm the minority here, but I just listened to the Lara Fabian version of "Je Suis Malade" and loved it. It has a haunting quality to it, and I think it is SO them. I think they'll really pull this one off. Above all, I'm relieved that the FD isn't to La Strada. While its one of my favouite scores ever, I don't think I could have handled Weaver & Poje skating to yet another movie theme.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I personally much prefer Dalida's version. Lama's version is also wonderful (though it does sound like he imitates Brel a bit). Fabian's version, though beautiful, leans too much towards Celine Dion for my taste. Still, gorgeous song, Fabian sings it well, and I think the music is a great choice for W/P.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  11. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Yeah, I guess if any of the skaters watched the original film they just ignored the entire story. :shuffle:

Translation: "I am sick." How appropriate. :scream:

12. Nmsis

Nmsis Well-Known Member

Whenever Lara Fabian is mentionned, I can't help but think of a sketch from the Guignols : Incredible Lara !
    Or how Lara Fabian has been exposed too young to an overdose of Barbra Streisand and now, when she goes on stage, she tranforms into Incredible Lara, who breaks glass when she shou ... err sings. :rofl:

Nah, if you want a canadian who sings a huge classique of the chanson française, you take Avec le Temps or Ma Fille by Isabelle Boulay. Ferré or Reggiani, I can't help but cryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :wuzrobbed And Boulay is a good interpreter. But Incredible Lara ? :shuffle:

Yes, that's the one.

Problem is, they don't exactly look like lovesick, desperate people in self-destructive mode but more like an ad for toothpaste. :shuffle:

13. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I really like W/P and I like that music. :)

Gotta say that the uplifting rule is bizarre. I am pretty sure it was around last year and it looked like quite a few people kind of ignored it (like Crone/Poirier and their Eleanor Rigby.)

14. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

I agree. I would like to see more dramatic programs in ice dance like we had a few years ago:40beers:

15. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

I'd like to see Meryl & Charlie skate to Carmina Burana or Firebird. I think with their power, they could do something incredible with that kind of music. But that's just me.

16. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Well, now I've listened to the Serge Lama version.

It would be nice, if he could sing. Unfortunately he sounds like he's reading an essay on how his day went, set to music from which he occasionally selects a note to sing, sometimes on pitch.

The Dalida version is a great improvement. However, I liked the Lara Fabian version the best. I don't see how they can possibly make an ice dance out of that, however. It would have to be extensively rearranged to make it danceable, IMO. The outcome of this choice will be intriguing. It could be a disaster or, if the arrangement is well-done, very successful.

17. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I wonder if Weaver and Poje will incur the penalty for not having uplifting music. There is nothing uplifting about the lyrics nor the tone of the song. After last year's program, I would like to see them do something less angsty.

I am wondering when we will get our first Lady GaGa medley free dance.

18. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

Eh, point taken. I respect their athleticism, and ability to bring it , I'm just not crazy about their programs/ Shpilband style. I really find that much of what they are given does not suit them well.

19. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

The lyrics are not uplifting for sure unless you're planning an immediate suicide...but I find the music quite uplifting..just IMO of course!!

THAT would be great!

20. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

They skated to "Moulin Rouge" last season. I didn't think that was angsty at all. Or do you mean that you would like them to continue in that vein? :confused: Loved that programme in any case.

My secret ambition in life is to make heart shaped poses with Andrew Poje. Or Kaitlyn if Andrew isn't available. :shuffle:

21. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

This week, Japanese Skating Federation is having the national camp.
    Some skaters joined the camp and show their new programs.
    (Mao and Daisuke do not joined.)

According to the article, Kanako Murakami's New FS is Mendelssohn's violin concerto.

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/headlines/20110803-00000104-jij-spo.html

Kanako is working with foreign choreographers this season :)
    The choreographers are not announced yet, but she had been to North America (USA maybe) for choreography in this summer.

I hope Tom Dickson for her :saint:

22. Eris

Eris New Member

Tatiana Tarasova has worked with Murakami on new program(s).

I like the music choice for Kanako's long. :) A step forward after last year.

23. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

Surprise!!!! :eek:

Kanako had worked with Trasova!!??
    When did she go to Russia....?
    (Tarasova is working with Sotnikova, so I think she does not work with other young ladies....especially not Russian :confused:)

Anyway, I think this collaboration will be quite interesting!
    Something new for lovely Kanako;)

24. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I heard that Kanako Murakami worked with Tarasova in Hackensack, NJ earlier this summer (not sure if it was SP or FS or both).

25. Eris

Eris New Member

As far as I know they worked in the US...

26. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

Sylvia, Eris, Thank you very much for your quick response!

I cannot to wait to see Kanako's new program!!!

27. nana7045

nana7045 New Member

I got new article about Kanako.

SP music : no information / Choreo by Tatiana Trasova
    FS music : Mendelssohn's violin concerto / Choreo by Marina Zueva

http://www.mainichi.jp/enta/sports/news/20110804k0000m050087000c.html

According to the article, Kanako said the Trasova's SP is too difficult for her.
    The writer said that she has not decided if she skates this SP or not....(not sure this is Kanako's comment or not)

Go KANAKO!

28. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

This part sounds wonderful. I am really looking forward to seeing this.

29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I am not surprised, Tarasova is a choreographer of deep emotion.

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Did she say it was too difficult for her emotionally? Or technically?