Programs Inspired By Rodgers and Hammerstein Musicals

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Bring Back The 6.0 System

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II created a number of musicals during the 1940's and 1950's which were hugely influential in the development of musical theatre, with many referring back to this period as the "golden age" of music theatre. Moreover, the musicals have also inspired a number of figure skating programs. Here are some of them:-

The Sound of Music

Original Musical - My favourite Things,

Evelyn Grossmann - The Sound of Music Medley (1988/89 LP (1989 World Championships))

Rosalynn Sumners - My Favourite Things - The Sound of Music

Janet Lynn - The Sound of Music

Carousel

Original Film - Carousel Waltz

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani - Carousel Waltz (2010/11 Short Dance (2010 Skate America))

Brian Boitano - Carousel Waltz (1993 Pro-Am Figure Skating Challenge - Technical Program)

Sarah Coward & Michael Coward - Carousel Waltz (Short Dance - Summer Skate 2010)

Sarah Hughes - You'll Never Walk Alone (2002 Exhibition)

South Pacific

Original Film - Some Enchanted Evening, There Is Nothing Like a Dame, Happy Talk, I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair

Peggy Fleming - Some Enchanted Evening (1980/81 World Professional Championships - Artistic Program)

Dorothy Hamill - Some Enchanted Evening (Exhibition)

The King and I

Original Musical - Getting to Know You

Todd Eldredge - The King and I (1995/96 SP (1995 Skate America))

State Fair

Original Film - It Might As Well Be Spring, It's A Grand Night For Singing

No programs, but there is this Kim Yu-Na montage to It Might As Well Be Spring

Any suggestions on actual programs? Also, any suggestions for programs for Oklahoma!?

So, what are your favourite Rodgers and Hammerstein inspired programs? If you can, please post YouTube links to them

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

3. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

In A Skating Life, Dorothy Hamill writes that she once skated to "Edelweiss" as an exhibition during her competitive days.

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. lulu

lulu New Member

6. Maofan7

I could neither recall nor find anything related to 'Oklahoma!' Its really bizarre that nobody at elite level has opted to perform a program to music from it.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

8. lulu

lulu New Member

Given how much influence Rodgers & Hammerstein have had on American culture, I'm surprised more skaters (at least in the U.S.) haven't skated to a R&H number.

9. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Didn't Ralph/Hill from Canada do "Cinderella"? I'm pretty sure they used "Ten Minutes Ago" too.

10. Maofan7

Your absolutely right. It was their 2010/11 short dance. This is it from the 2010 Cup of China.

Unlike with their other musicals, Rodgers and Hammerstein created Cinderella specifically for television in 1957. It starred Julie Andrews as Cinderella and here is a link to the entire TV movie. It was remade in 1965, with Lesley Ann Warren as Cinderella and Stuart Damon (from The Champions) as the Prince (clips posted by Cachoo in post 7 above)

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Many thanks to both of you!

12. Maofan7

Ironies of ironies, Jeanne Crain, who was the main star of the 1945 film, State Fair, was actually a very good ice skater in real life, something which held her in very good stead in the 1946 film, Margie, in which there was a skating scene set in a rink in which she was required to skate (film clip - 5 mins 25 secs in).

13. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

One of the injured couples--Tobias and Stagniunas, I think--had an Oklahoma program planned for this season.

14. Maofan7

Richard Rodgers also created the ballet, Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, which was incorporated into his musical, On Your Toes (which he created with Lorenz Hart, and which was made into a film in 1939). It also featured in the 1948 film, Words & Music, with Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen (Words & Music was actually a film biography of Rodgers & Hart). There have been several programs choreographed around Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, including the following:-

Rachael Flatt - 2010/11 LP (2011 World Championships)

Evelyn Grosmann - 1989/90 LP (1990 European Championships)

Harrison Choate - 2012/13 FS (JGP Croatia Cup 2012)

15. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

16. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Slaughter on Tenth Avenue is a popular piece of music at all levels. The two programs that immediately come to mind for me are:
    Kyoko Ina and Jason Dungjen, 1995-1996 FS, U.S. Nationals
    Haydenettes, 2002-2003 FS, Worlds

17. floskate

floskate Vacant

Don't forget this early gem to Slaughter on Tenth Avenue:
    Torvill & Dean 1979 Worlds
    An early venture for T&D into thematic music but I guess they felt they needed a change to be on the safe side so the last minute is via Mexico ;)

And while Evelyn Grossmann skated very well to TSOM in 1989, she was not the first to skate to the almost exact same musical arrangement ;)
    Anett Poetszch 1976 Olympics LP

18. JockProf

JockProf New Member

Back in 1989 or 1990, Blumberg and Seibert skated to a medley of show tunes and called it a Waltz Project. I haven't been able to find the clip.

19. Maofan7

They performed it at the 1989 World Professional Championships, but unfortunately there is no copy online

Here is another program skated to Slaughter on Tenth Avenue:-

Joanne Conway - 1987 World Championships - LP

20. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

This was Rachael's worst FS in my opinion. I don't know how many times I've fallen asleep to this.

Damon Allen skated a very stylish program too this music in the late '90s or early '00s.