Program To Edit Videos I've Filmed (A Program Which Is Free And Very SIMPLE!!!) :)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Jun 29, 2010.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

So over the years I've taken lots of pictures and have shot video footage as well. I'm fine with editing pictures now, but I've got a bunch of video which is sitting on my computer unused because some part of it is not what I want.

Recently, I noticed a program that is already on my computer, "Windows Movie Maker". I played around with it and was able to use it to compile 18 very short clips into one decent-sized video. Cool! :hat1:

I then tried it to edit video, but I can't seem to import any of the files into the program to work on. :wuzrobbed The thing is, I'm looking for something that is not only free, but is VERY, VERY simple to use. Something similar to "Audio Recorder For Free", which is so simple and so PERFECT. (You can use it to make an mp3 of ANYTHING you can find on the internet...and I love it!) If you want your own free copy, here's a link:

Audio Recorder For Free

So any suggestions for a free, simple program to edit video footage that I've shot? I don't want to do anything fancy. I just want to cut out the parts I don't like....and that's it. Thanks for your help! :D

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

What does it say when you try to import the files?

And what are the file types?

I have a lot of WMM experience. I haven't found a free program for a PC I like as well, but I also don't just do simple things, so...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

...(filename)... could not be imported. An interface has too many methods to fire events from

I believe that sentence is in the English language... :eek:

The file type is a "Movie Clip" filmed with a Sony camera.

4. michiruwater

A .mov?...

There are certain file extensions you can't upload into WMM. What you can look for is a free file converter to change it into WMV or AVI.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

No, the error message states the file has an .mpg ... extension (is that the right word???) :confused:

:mad:

I don't know why everything these days are not universal. :angryfire But a good suggestion...thanks! But I want something simple, not adding an additional step into the process. I think I'll just bury these videos again and wait until I feel more hopeful about trying out something more technical and involved... :(

6. michiruwater

MPG and Windows Movie Maker don't get along very well. My MPGs used to invariably cause it to freeze and shut down after a while. Converting it would solve the problem. I also don't know why it won't accept some very common file extensions :(

I would suggest you go to download.com and search for Video Editor for whatever your platform is and look through the responses and see if one of those will work for you. They have several options.