Program Information for the 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by bronwynsings, Apr 7, 2014.

1. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

As a score, I love POTO. But the idea of another skater using it makes me :rolleyes:. Plus, now he can add lyrics, which IMO only makes it worse (the singing in POTO is mostly operatic, which I find WAY too distracting for skating).

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

3. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

PHP:
    I'm disappointed with so many POTO too especially for Yuzuru. But Kanako exhibition "think of me " with lyric is really nice.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I don't have a problem with a music selection just because it's overused, as long as it's good music. The problem is when I consider it crappy and it's overused. Like POTO. :p

5. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

:rofl:

I'm just baffled at the inability for skaters to have original choices of music for their programs (incidentally, let's take a moment of silence for many of Jeremy and Carolina's programs for filling that void).

I'm ALL for a 5-year ban on Carmen, POTO, Rach 2. :mitchell:

Dissapointed in Hanyu's choice, but excited to see his technical content (if he can deliver it). Last season he had the highest BV of the men I believe, and this season he will again (with an even higher BV).

Is he going for 2 quads in the short or sticking to the same content?

6. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

So I finally saw Tuktamysheva's "Bolero" and it is EXACTLY the same cut Plushenko used in his SP in 2000/2001 SP, which is, undoubtedly, a good one.
    I wonder whether she can live up to the expectations.

7. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Figure skating is a tough job in itself. We can't require all figure skaters to have good musical taste as well. :p

gkelly likes this.
  8. misskarne

misskarne #408

I'm fairly sure the ISU introduced lyrics in order to broaden the musical selections. Well, it seems the skaters are doing their best to defeat the purpose of the exercise.

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner? Didn't she skate to Ave Maria and Bolero last season? Yeah, way original.

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

While I sincerely hope to see Liza in a colour other than black this season, I also sincerely hope that she will avoid the red-and-gold-with-significant-illusion-mesh-panels monstrosity that Plushy wore for his Bolero. :lol: Definitely one of his worst costumes.

11. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:huh: Not really

12. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

To be fair though, I don't remember the last Ave Maria program we had by a big name since Fumie Suguri in 2002. I'm sure there were tons, but I just can't remember. As for Bolero, the only ladies program I remember to Bolero was Kwan's. Carolina had a much more overused piece to start the season, but luckily Lori and her scrapped it. She had more original piece for her SP, but after lukewarm responses, she went with Ave Maria. Prior to that, she had some pretty original music choices, or at least the choreography was more modern (yet with attention to aesthetics) than what we're used to seeing from the ladies.

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

All's I'm saying is that I am not taking a moment of silence for Carolina's oh-so original musical choices.

14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Aside from the odd rash of POTO, I think there is a little more breadth in music choices than usual this year. There are many interesting choices sprinkled in this thread.

15. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

It's like Orford and Williams threw down the Andrew Lloyd Webber honorary gauntlet last season and told all four disciplines, "Next year your music can suck THIS MUCH! I dare you!" and everyone is like, "We'll stop at about half that bad."

I either want not bad or even worse, preferably a mixture of both (although not in the same program, unless Mysliveckova is skating to it, but I don't think her new coach makes that too likely).

I want techno remixes of Florence Foster Jenkins! Polka covers of Nickelback! A medley from the soundtrack to Superstar USA! And yes, I have the soundtrack and the entire series if anyone wants to borrow it: Zueva, Tutberidze, the Dallas Butt Slapper, first come first served.

16. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Let's look at the rest of her musical selections, shall we?

The Doors
    Piano Trio by Shostakovich
    Piano Concerto 27 by Mozart
    Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun by Debussy
    Violin Concerto by Tchaikovsky
    Dumsky Trio by Dvorak

:revenge:

And, to be fair, when Carolina did skate to a popular piece like Bolero, she *owned* it. And as far as I'm concerned, no one to this day has given us a better Ave Maria.

17. handomi

handomi New Member

He will be doing 1 quad, but propably a quad combo in 2nd half :D

18. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

:lol: This is by far my favourite post of the day.

Aerobicidal and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

It looks like Maxim Kovtun's SP is Bolero.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It really is :wall:. We already have numerous POTOs, Boleros and only a small fraction of the programs have been revealed. :scream:

I want both Schultheiss and Berntsson back.

21. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I guess I should be thankful we have yet to see a glut of West Side Story or Le Mis programs.

I thought for sure we'd see a bunch of singles/pairs programs to the Les Mis piece Chock and Bates used.

Still time though.... :slinkaway

22. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Just copy and paste, though:

23. unicorn

unicorn Member

Wow, what's this show? The Ice? Some of his moves really reminds me of Yagudin, his body is very fluid now. If only he has Yagudin's easy acceleration, then this coming season will definitely be interesting. I am always annoyed by some sayings that Joubert looks like Yagudin, well except the general image, there's nothing about their skating is alike, just the opposite, in my opinion.

Kovtun
    http://vk.com/video78614933_169231440

24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

I'd rather see someone do Weird Al's version, "Tacky." So many FS costumes are tacky, so it would be the perfect excuse to come up with something outstandingly tacky.

Unfortunately. Sigh.
    Hey at least with Ave Maria and Bolero there's a built-in contrast between the two programs. She's done some warhorses, yes, but a lot of original and less-used pieces, too.

25. Amantide

Amantide Well-Known Member

26. sk8watch

sk8watch Banned Member

It seems strange that Park only does a salchow on her combination when she has such a solid lutz. Will be looking forward to seeing that program in a more polished form.

27. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh -- why couldn't this have been last year's FS :wuzrobbed.

4rkidz likes this.
  30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Balde is looking very good this early in the season! The choreography and music suit his style and accentuate his strengths. :) Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

4rkidz likes this.