Program Information for the 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by bronwynsings, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Bach Violin Concerto No. 1 in A Minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q7hM7SO8nQ

Anyway, this medley sucks, IMO. :blah:

3. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I think it was reported previously that Harvard doesn't allow students to take a reduced schedule. Perhaps someone else can confirm this--I don't know for sure.

And thanks for the correction about her short program, Aftershocks.

4. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

5. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

Thanks so much for all your work, Sylvia.

Minor point: I believe Jason's program is set to "Juke" by "Little Walter", not "Little Juke".

6. lahaa968

lahaa968 Active Member

Absolutely loving Jason's SP. The footwork is to die for. Can we give Brown a round of applause for foregoing the cookie cutter step sequences we see from, 80% of the field?:encore::encore:

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Love Brown and Edmunds new programs. :40beers:

8. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Which one is that?

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Well, the title doesn't sound like a very good motto to emulate, but I suppose the beat is rockin' to the point of making everyone want to "jig about." (in the words of Downton Abbey's head kitchen cook) ;)

I never saw this exhibition and it doesn't appear to be available on Youtube. When/ what year did Adrian perform to it?

The lyrics are fairly sparse, uninspiring, repetitive and :rolleyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZPECFQ4NhE

ETA:
    Polina's a very determined and talented young lady. She looks very well trained and spot-on for this early in the season. She still has a lot of maturing to do re developing as a person and an artist. Great potential (already hugely rewarded), but she reminds me of a ballerina who can do all the brilliant technical feats in a bravura way, although without the rich expressiveness, soul, colors and nuances that can only come with more growth and experience. I know that means squat with the judges who love to reward talented young ladies, especially, and even talented young men like Hanyu who still have a ways to go with with developing fully expressive artistry. An exception in the artistry at a young age department is of course, Jason Brown, who has charisma and musicality to burn. He knows how to engage an audience. In a way, it seems to be a good thing for him to be able to shine artistically whilst having some time to enhance the difficult 3-axel and quad jumps, without being too over-hyped and over-scored. I don't think its a good thing to over-reward skaters who can do all the difficult technical stuff but still lack maturity.

11. aftershocks

:cheer: For Jason, Rohene and Kori!

12. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Ah Jason, Jason, JASON!!!! <3 <3 <3 :hat1:

Hope I made sense :lol:

And yes, Polina Edmunds skates like a dream to me. What a vision on the ice. She's so much like a young Kostner, but less coltish and much more in control. I agree she still has some maturing to do, but disagree that she's all bravura and no expression. If anything sets her apart from the other young jumping beans it's her ability to feel the music and express the phrasing and mood of the music. Her arms are just beautiful.

Nice to see Leah Keiser skate well... she seems to have gotten over puberty and the jumps are intact!

14. aftershocks

Sure Polina has expression, and if she was skating for Russia, I think she's better than Pogorilaya and Julia Lip, and thus would/ should in that scenario be even more competitive on the world stage. As it is her Russian roots on her mother's side certainly can be/ has been an asset in terms of building reputation and recognition. Polina has the chops and I look forward to seeing how she develops. But right now, I personally do not get an expressively rich and nuanced vibe from her skating. In terms of expressivity, she skates like the 16-year-old that she is, which is a good thing. I'm impressed but not on cloud nine when I watch her skate.

Hopefully for Polina, with her precocious talent and determination, she will have some opportunities to routinely make the World team and gain the important top level competitive experience needed, while building reputation and respect with the international judges, and most of all having the chance to mature and further refine her skills. This without being overly touted and over-rewarded too soon, but yeah whatever, baby ballerinas tend to be "the bomb" in the skating world.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I never would have recognize it, and ITA about the music. She could have used actual Flamenco music at the same tempo and with a clear 4/8 or 6/8 rhythm.

16. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I guess this is what makes skating so interesting and why there are so many disagreements with scores. I find Polina way more nuanced and musical than, for example, Ashley. Polina also moves across the ice with a much more effortless speed. I love the way she used bits of the music to vary the speed and sharpness, or softness, of her presentation. This is a lovely program and I hope she continues to develop over the course of the season.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It wasn't an exhibition, it was a competitive FS with madness being the theme and a white straitjacket as the costume.

One of the voidiest programs ever. :cheer:

Most importantly for me, she actually satisfies the PCS criteria pretty well in terms of having programs which reflect the character and mood of the music and then seems to be able to move in time with it most of the time as well. And that's something that you do not see very often in skating.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I agree with both points.

After all the negativity Polina received (with Wagner) for "taking Nagasu's spot," I am happy some people are recognizing what a special skater she is.

19. aftershocks

^^ Ah, okay, that was it! Then I definitely did see it, and fortunately without those annoying lyrics. :lol: I loved Adrian's mad, strait-jacket routine.

Yep re Polina, she is a wonderful technician and a budding artist, but right now I see her as still more of a blank canvas, with beginning strokes being sketched in with precise care. She's a work in progress with the excitement of how all the strokes and as yet unchosen colours will come together still to be determined. Whether an extraordinary masterpiece will result is the intriguing and unanswered question. Some people can see the uncompleted work of art already and that's fine. I prefer to admire the beginning strokes but not to gush quite yet.

ETA:
    It is definitely not easy to develop the ability to express the music. It comes easier to some skaters than to others. Polina has that ability but I don't see it fully developed in her yet, perhaps because for me that quality she possesses currently lacks the richness and maturity that more experience on and off the ice will give her.

20. VIETgrlTerifa

I think Polina has already shown an understanding of musical phrasing and movement that many seasoned skaters have never developed. I also like the more mature approach she has to it while still looking age-appropriate. I hope she doesn't lose that if she gets older and becomes more successful.

She's not fully developed yet, and though I think she has ways to go before we will see the best she can offer, I like what I'm seeing now.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

She is a lovely skater and I really enjoyed that program. I can't wait to see it further along in the season. I think it's going to beautiful! :)

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I love Edmunds' skating. I like her program. Her music is another story.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

24. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I agree. I was astounded to find out she was only 15 last season after seeing the quality and maturity in her movement. She has a multi-layered, subtle and very nuanced approach to interpretation that I love the most.

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The top 2 Senior Men's FS videos from Glacier Falls last night (with thanks to UMBS Go Blue):

Jason Brown - 146.24 FS (67.22 TES/79.02 PCS)
    http://youtu.be/G_o24Xm5SC0
    Tristan & Iseult by Maxime Rodriguez, choreo by Rohene Ward

Grant Hochstein FS - 144.92 FS (74.40/70.52)
    http://youtu.be/0F8y171hudc
    Don Quixote by Minkus, choreo by Peter Oppegard

ETA:
    Edmunds' FS is "Fairy Dance" from the Peter Pan soundtrack by James Newton Howard, choreographed by Rudy Galindo. She scored a whopping 135.80 (70.90 TES/64.90 PCS) in the FS at Glacier Falls last night!

26. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

I agree. Anyway, I like Polina very much. She reminds me of Costner but better than her at this age. She doesn't look awkward and she seems more solid.

27. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Totally shocked at how tall & gigantic she looks out there (7 feet tall!), kinda like Big Bird. :D Lovely arm movements but a tad overdone. She did well despite the music & the costume. :) What a stahhh. :cool:

Jason Brown never puts a foot wrong, danseur on ice, proven once again. :) Of the Ladies, Leah Keiser was my favorite, simply lovely, classic skater, economy of movement...

Ditto my comments for her Sp as well.

Ditto for my comment for Jason's Sp as well. Grant was also a pleasure to watch as well. :)

Can't wait to see more new programs from all the disciplines! :cheer2:

28. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yes! just watched both and they made me so happy for the upcoming season.
    I love Jason's LP; had my doubts when music was announced, but it is gorgeous. Gorgeous, and, I am so happy to see, the choreography is all- out emotional, which I was waiting for Jason to do. Now that it is here, he has done such a range of emotions on ice that I believe he can so anything:)
    Polina is beautiful. Agree with the posters who are a bit underwhelmed by the Flamenco/ classical mix ( especially with not a stellar sound system, the rhythm seem underfined and clashing within the pieces put together), but even that is intriguing. Love her skating, both expression and jumps.

29. analia

analia Active Member

No. I don't see any superior artistic quality from Polina. She just seems artistic because she is so extremely lanky with extremely long arms and legs that look pretty (albeit a tiny bit awkward) and there isn't much choreography let alone performance quality needed in any of her programs. Her team is quite smart in picking music with no major tune, rhythm or even theme in it so that she doesn't need to accentuate anything or show any character. The Latin short last season IMO did not work. That being said, her jumps seem reliable.

30. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you once gain, Sylvia! It looks beautiful. But Jason has to start trying quads - I fear that otherwise his great talent will be at least partially lost.