Program Information for the 2014-2015

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by bronwynsings, Apr 7, 2014.

1. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Since we're already getting information about next seasons programs, I thought this would be a good way to keep them all organized. :) According to The Skating Lesson, Josh Farris is keeping Schindler's List for next season, and Adam Rippon's new long program is to "a dramatic Franz Liszt piano concerto". Mirai Nagasu's competitive programs were also both choreographed by Adam. Is there anything else that's been announced?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nagasu still can't afford a proper choreographer then? :p

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Very possible, actually.

Rippon is in Colorado Springs right now, so it's very likely he is working with Tom Dickson again.

Richard Dornbush and Shotaro Omori have been spending time in Vancouver for the past week or so working with choreographer Mark Pillay (based on their recent tweets). They apparently stayed with the Papp family. :)

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  4. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Oh, Dornbush is staying? Happy to hear that! I thought he might retire since he's going to uni.

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

happy about dornbush too. at least we got some eye candy :D

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Well, even with not a proper choreographer she did place third at the nationals, so that shows that it is the skating that counts, not the name that stands behind the program.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The programs were pretty poor IMO and got criticised by Bezic during the US Nationals broadcast, IIRC. I don't care about the name as long as the work is good. Rippon might go on to have a long and successful career as a choreographer but when you are at Nagasu's level, I'd think you would ideally want somebody with both training and experience in this area.

But then such people can reportedly charge as much as $15k for a program or more in the US, so if funding is an issue, it's not really an option.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Quite a few top level skaters have been able to successfully combine skating and higher education. I would be very surprised had Richard decided to stop skating. He's got many good years left and mucho talent! :)

Nice to see that Josh is keeping SL fp for next season -- it's a lovely program for him. A fine program for Josh to marinate.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. redfiretrees

redfiretrees Figure Skating Fan in the Tropics

I don't know if this should be in a separate thread but saw this news tidbit on the the internet and thought it would be okay to post it here. But let me know if I need to delete it. Just saw the Sylvia has already posted in another thread in the Trash Can.

Just got some excerpts but here is the link of the whole article: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...lyrics-gracie-gold-jason-brown-ashley-wagner/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Are there any guidelines for using vocal music? If someone wanted to skate to a program full of profanity and offensive lyrics, could they? I'm not saying I'm for or against such guidelines, I'm merely curious if any exist. Just think of how much fun Weir would have had with vocals back in the day. :lol:

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

My goodness, they're cautious. Friggin lyrics. If a singles skater skated to Maria de Buenos Aires, would people really have an issue? It's still a friggin' tango.

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Link is: Vocals in programs

A glimpse into Rohene Ward's initial thinking for one of Jason Brown's programs next season is linked in the Ward interview thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...hout-a-vision-you-cannot-create-anything-quot
    Relevant excerpt:

13. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

The only type music deduction currently listed for singles & pairs is for using vocal music with lyrics at all when it's not allowed. The U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council proposal, which is put in to align with ISU rules (and easier for me to find than anything on the ISU site), deletes the music deduction entirely, so it looks like there wouldn't be any option for the judges and referee to deduct (when music deductions have been allowed, they've been decided by the majority of independent votes of the referee plus the entire judging panel, at least for the past several years). There are deductions for music without a beat or with the wrong tempo in ice dance but there's never been a deduction for inappropriate lyrics there either. For that matter, judges wouldn't necessarily know that the lyrics were inappropriate if they were in a different language than what they speak, and that's not something the referee could advise them about because that would probably be considered inappropriate influence since all judges plus the referee are supposed to have an equal vote.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Very helpful. Thank you!

15. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Well-Known Member

This comment belongs in the Trash Can thread. Sorry.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is a rule which bans the use of profanities in the music lyrics and makes some references to keeping skating respectful or something along those lines.

There was a dance team this season which had a program which included profanities in the lyrics but it seems like nobody noticed (I don't remember who that was, sorry :p).

Reading that made me :wall:. Personally, I don't like lyrics being used but since the decision has been made, you might as well embrace it. Figure skating is just hopelessly conservative.

17. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Where is this rule?

I don't see a current one in force for ice dance (this is the most recent Singles/Pairs/Ice Dance Technical Rules document on the ISU site http://static.isu.org/media/79156/2012_specialregulations_technicalrules_singleandpair_icedance.pdf), unless you interpret the very vague "must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline" that way.

c) The music for Free Dance may be vocal and must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline and must have the following characteristics:
    i) The music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone, and may be vocal. The music may be without an audible rhythmic beat for up to 10 seconds at the beginning or end of the program and up to 10 seconds during the program.
    ii) The music must have at least one change of tempo and expression. These changes may be gradual or immediate, but in either case they must be obvious.
    iii) All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colorful, entertaining dance program with different dance moods or a building effect.
    iv) The music must be suitable for the Couple's skating skills and technical ability.
    Free Dance music that does not adhere to these requirements will be penalized by a deduction (see Rule 353, paragraph 1.n) (ii)).

I don't have ages to go around searching the website and find the proposals for ISU Congress. Does anyone know where they are? I couldn't even find a search function on the ISU Page and the only section that lists "ISU Congress" on the main page asks for a user name and password (and it's not listed under "events").

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  19. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I know! That article just showcased why any change in skating seems to come at a snail's pace (if at all). It reminds me of the decision to allow pants for women in competition. Even when something is allowed by the rules, if skaters perceive a de facto dislike of it by TPTB, they will stay away from it.

20. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Oh no I hope Josh changes his mind about John Mayer as most of his songs are so whiny and please please no Say what you need to say! :scream:

21. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

Could someone please add the word "season" to the thread title?

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

You may need to PM a moderator directly if it's really important to you.

mysticchic posted in the "Marina & Massimo" thread that the pair team of Lina Fedorova & Maxim Miroshkin are currently in Canton, Michigan, along with their coach, Vladislav Zhovnirski (I assume for choreography).

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, Not all of them ;)

I can understand skaters being cautious with this change and wanting to make sure that it's really being embraced by the judges. In a system where every point counts, some risks are worth taking and others are not. There are enough skaters who will really want to skate to music with lyrics right away, and we'll see if their marks give others reason to follow suit.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Am sure we'll see at least 2-3 Chicago/Fosse style programs with counting in them. Whether or not full-fledged lyrics take off, I think that will need to wait a while.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that I cannot remember. But IIRC, there was some kind of announcement about profanities not being allowed and the music being respectful or something along those lines. Maybe it was made when lyrics were first allowed? Unfortunately, ISU documents are very poorly archived and organised and it takes ages to find anything.

26. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I would imagine that even if it isn't in the rules, it would probably be common sense for skaters not to use profanities in their lyrics unless they want to take their chances in offending the judges (particularly the conservative ones!) :lol:

27. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Lol, just had to comment on the Carolina photo.. she looks so super excited to have won Worlds, and Akiko and Alena are all like, "what?" lol.

28. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I've seen that Elizaveta is skating to Bolero for her SP. Any other program news? :)

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Source link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-Summer-2014&p=4268654&viewfull=1#post4268654

Posted in the Russian news thread on May 21:
    Yes, but it's scattered around in various FSU threads...

Example 1 - in U.S. Pairs news thread:
    Example #2 - Ashley Cain has already debuted her new SP in competition: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ieve-in-Gold&p=4249095&viewfull=1#post4249095

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Great!