Profile: Sasha Cohen

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Jun 29, 2012.

1. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

You cant tell what it would have done for Cohen's own confidence and momentum to be U.S #1 and not have the shadow over her head that if Kwan skates cleanly she will never win a big event. That affects your confidence and your own thought process. Then people get mad at her for not winning events, even ones where Kwan was on and unbeatable, and it affects her event to event, year to year, even when Kwan was less of a factor in later years.

2. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Not to me.

That may make Flatt a better competitor but not a better skater. Why do so many people think results = skating quality?
    Like I said, I'll take Kirk or Meissner any day.

In your opinion. I think Meissner was a much better overall skater than Czisny. Spins and flexibility aren't everything.

3. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Kirk an impressive skater, ROTFL!!! Tiny and hideous jumps with awful technique, so so spins, slow and boring skating. No she is not better than anyone mentioned this thread. Atleast Flatt could do 7 triples consistently and had decent quality jumps, and a few somewhat interesting programs. Czisny's spins and spirals are worth more than Kirk's whole skating even if she did all doubles.

As for Meissner the only thing her skating had was badly cheated 3-3s and when they started getting called her career was over, but she did win a Worlds so guess that makes her the best of that little group by default.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized that was a criteria for judging the best skater. I change my mind. Michelle Kwan is not a better skater than Sarah Hughes. Sarah won the Olympics and Michelle didn't so that makes Sarah better. I don't know why I didn't see that all these years.

On second thought, neither skater ever completed a triple axel in competition so viva Ludmila Nelidina!

5. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

What's the story with this?

I can't believe that Sasha went from how she skated as a 9 year old in that video (doing only singles and mediocre skating), to getting 2nd at Novice sectionals within 3-4 years. That is pretty amazing.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  6. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

8. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

Your example does not ring effective. Yes the Olympics are the biggest event, and it is why say Yu Na Kim is considered better than Kwan these days, but Kwan has won 5 Worlds and 5 Worlds >>> 1 Olympics + 0 Worlds, not to mention the many other achievements of Kwan.

In the case of Meissner winning Worlds is so much more of a feat than any of those others achieved, that yes that alone can make her the best. That plus her 2nd best Worlds result (4th) is still better than anyone elses you named best result. Why are you arguing, I am agreeing with you on the part of you saying Meissner was the best of those people so you should be happy. Kirk on the other hand, pleeeasse!

9. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I answered my own question on Wikipedia:
    This seems pretty stupid. I don't know what skater would come up with a new FP that has not been competed before just for the GPF.

Last edited: May 3, 2013