Professor Had Two Full-Time Jobs - in Canada and in England

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Mar 28, 2013.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Ageless

Ageless Member

I heard that one of my old professors did jail time for holding two separate professorships at the same time. Some sort of breach of contract thing.

3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Not long ago, a husband and wife team tried to do the same thing at U. Minnesota and Georgia Tech. Both were "double dipping":

http://www.startribune.com/local/186113431.html?refer=y

I had a colleague once who, in addition to being a full time faculty member at my university in the US, was department head at a university in China. Somehow that was allowed. :lol:

4. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

To me the question is, was he able to do what he was hired for at each of the institutions? IF they were each getting what they paid for, I don't see what the problem would be. Unless they were paying for the prestige of being the exclusive employer of a respected name in his field.

5. overedge

It would be possible to juggle the class schedules to handle a full-time teaching load at each place, but I can't see how someone would be able to do all the other expected on-campus work that goes with a full-time position, e.g. committee meetings, office hours.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Reminds me of this guy, who was making $250K a year but outsourcing his work to a guy in China for $50K. Dishonest, but part of me applauds his ingenuity :)

7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I always read of professors not making enough money. These two were making about $300k a year each? Wow,.

8. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

:rofl: I like how specific they were that he watched cat videos.

9. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'd like to hear this guy's side of the story. Did he even teach classes...?

10. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

All of me wishes some of my colleagues would do this.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I was curious and did an online search to see if there had been any follow-up articles. I came across the following comment posted in reply to the original article: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/humanities-scholars-quantum-state/2002820.article

12. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

These days, with online classes, I can see how being a professor on two continents could actually work. I once took an online course as part of my master's program; the professor was local but the TA was in Liverpool.

13. overedge

But the article doesn't say anything about him teaching online classes.

14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

When I was in college I had several professors who lived a couple of hours away in adjacent states. They would come to campus to teach their classes and hold office hours, but otherwise they were only available by telephone, in an emergency. (This was in the dark ages before e-mail.) Occasionally they couldn't make it to campus when expected because of severe weather.

So it really wouldn't have made much difference if they had taken off for a different continent on the days they weren't around, except that travel delays would be more likely to prevent them from being where they were supposed to be. But online communication would mitigate that more now than 30+ years ago.

It certainly would be difficult to hold Monday-Wednesday-Friday classes on one continent and Tuesday-Thursday classes on another thousands of miles away.

15. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I have a couple of friends/acquaintances who teach at a university far from their home. Neither is driving distance, both have to commute by air. Both have kids and a husband with a good (but less flexible) job in another city. So they maintain a main residence in the other city and keep an apartment near the university. Semesters are generally 15-16 weeks long and many faculty can arrange to do all their teaching in one semester, which makes life easier. But, neither has tenure yet and both have mentioned that not being on-campus enough is an issue that senior faculty have raised. Once you get tenure, you are expected to do a lot more in terms of administrative duties, so not being around 3/4 of the year doesn't usually work. That said, if you are good enough and well-known enough, universities will make it work.

16. J-Ro

J-Ro Active Member

Or the spouse works for an airline and gets free passes. He could commute. As an airline person myself, I know a lot of people who live in one area and work out of another. We have American crew members who live in Europe but are based in the States. They often have spouses who have non-airline jobs but because of the travel benefits, commute to far corners of the earth for work. I could totally see this happening if this were hypothetically my husband.