Prize ideas for kids (grades 2 to 6)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Angelskates, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

FSU has helped with a lot with suggestions for random things in the past, so I'm asking for help again!

I'm home in Australia for Christmas and New Year and have the opportunity to buy resources for work. I'm looking for small, not expensive, prizes for the kids at my work. They're kids (mostly grade 2 to 6) with special needs and learning difficulties, but many go to mainstream school. Last year I bought cool erasers in different shapes and colours from Smiggle and they were a hit. I also bought the coloured bendy pencils and sharpeners, and also those thing bangle things (I can't remember what they are called) and some keyring whistles that were fairies/princesses or pirates. So, I need new ideas.

Lightweight, small, inexpensive and fun ideas most appreciated!

2. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

Bouncy rubber balls. Always a hit with little children.
    Stickers.
    and the best one IMO... bubbles :lol: I've used them a lot with disabled children.

3. Angelskates

Thanks milly, they get stickers more regularly so that's not special enough for a prize (prizes are probably 1 in 4 or 6 sessions). Bubbles work for some, and I've given test tube bubbles before; some of my kids also use them inappropriately (like drinking the mix!) but they're still a good option - I can buy them easily and cheaply in Beijing as well, so that's even better! :)

4. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

5. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

Pens and pencils in cool patterns and colors are great because kids like them, and they're also practical things that can be used at school. The tiny erasers are popular too.

6. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I would second the bouncy balls suggestion.
    Perhaps also little toys, like the spiky ball characters (like this: http://www.smilemakerscanada.com/shop-by-product/seasonal/christmas/christmas-toys/HSPK.html), little jewelry (our dollar stores here have packets of rings, bracelets etc. which my nieces love) or maybe hair things for the girls.
    Whatever stores you have there that you would purchase birthday party supplies I would check out their section for party favours - there are usually lots of neat little things there kids would like - spinning tops, pinball games (like this: http://www.smilemakerscanada.com/shop-by-product/toys/games-puzzles/NTY374.html) etc.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Koosh balls? I've seen knock-offs that were cheap, and kids seem to love the tactile sensation.
    http://www.officeplayground.com/Koosh-Balls-C49.aspx?gclid=COyvj_nWoK0CFQduhwodeUtAmQ

Also hand exerciser balls (filled with sand) -- I've seen several of our kids with special ed needs find these helpful. (And the teachers were thrilled because these were typically kids who loved to tap pencils or water bottles until the teachers were about going bonkers.)

8. Myskate

Myskate New Member

How about smencils? These are like scratch and sniff pencils. I have found them online and in some stores. Also, instant snow is fun. Just a little bit of powder turns into alot of fake snow. The kids in the classrooms I worked in also like small puzzles.

9. screech

screech Well-Known Member

From my experience, kids love seeing things from different countries, no matter how useless they are - so you can probably go into any Aussie souvenir shop and find tons of things - keychains, playing cards, magnets, pencils, etc, that are purely (and often stereotypically) Australian and they'll love it.

10. Angelskates

Thanks for the suggestions. Things like koosh balls won't work because the majority have them on my advice ;) Spikey ball creatures and bouncy balls are a good idea! Pens, pencils and erasers have been for the past couple of years so I want something new.

screech, many of my clients are Australian or have Australian friends, so souveniers aren't a great option. Smencils sound good, I'll look for them! I'm going to look at the two dollar store for ideas as well.

11. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member