Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, May 23, 2012.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I loved how Ehle and Firth got to be in a movie together again in "The King's Speech." What else might they have been in together? Anybody?

2. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I don't think they acted together between P&p and " The King's Speech"- I remember reading that "the King's Speech" was their reunion after all these years.

3. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I don't know if it's because I'm hot and tired, but this 1980 version seems to go on for. ever. (and not in a good way).

4. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Oh I totally agree! :biggrinbo

Set in the wrong decade, Garson & Olivier both old enough to play Mr. & Mrs. Bennett, but it's so charming and has such a great supporting cast! Mary Boland and Edna Mae Oliver are hysterical (though changing around Lady Catherine & Elizabeth's final confrontation was a bit annoying....but Oliver played funny better than meanie ;) ).

5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Additional FTR: It was Last Crusade, not Temple of Doom.

Regarding Ciaran Hinds being a bit rough for Wentworth, I think that actually works well into Sir William Eliot's foppy carping about how the sea "ruins" men and ages them--Anne (and the 'good' female characters) appreciate the men who've gone to sea for their personalities, not their sense of style, instead of the pretty-pretty (but rotten to the core) cousin who stands to inherit.

6. Laney

Laney Member

I was also sooo excited about the reunitation and it was the reason why a friend of mine and I were going to cinema to watch it. We didn´t knew that "Mr.Collins" (Bamber?) also had a small part in it but we were screaming like crazy and giggled when we saw him :D Not so nice for the other guests... :slinkaway But we were all about P&P. And we both liked "The kings Speech", too! Colin Firth forever!!! ;)

7. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

definetely BBC with Firth!!!

8. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Kind of random, but has anyone seen the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? It's a Youtube video blog that roughly follows the events of P&P in a modern setting. I've found it highly amusing, especially their portrayal of a 2012 Lydia, haha. Everyone is very eagerly awaiting the time when Darcy and Bing Lee make an appearance!

http://www.youtube.com/user/LizzieBennet?feature=watch

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Kate is my favorite Emma BY FAR!

10. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Not that anybody cares :p, but I watched the 1971 version of Persuasion, the 1981 version of Sense and Sensibility and the 1980 version of Pride and Prejudice and boy am I glad I YouTube'd them! I thought they were pretty bad. Persuasion was the best, and I thought about buying it, but I changed my mind. :shuffle: The S&S and P&P versions just feel interminable. Oh my god, these versions are each, like, 10 hours long! I'm glad I watched them, but I don't think I'll do a rewatch. I watched the S&S version today because I thought I shouldn't watch the 1995 version of P&P again (I watched it two days ago). Well, these versions def. make me appreciate the later ones!

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Tesla.

12. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I care :) I might check out Persuasion...just re-read the book last weekend and am in the mood for an adaptation now.

13. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

You're welcome. :)

Thank you. :) I'm actually reading Persuasion now. I find it fun to match up the book with the movie as I'm reading. :)

14. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The Amanda Root movie is the best (by consensus of posters here) if you haven't already seen it.

15. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

And Samantha Morton is a far more convincing Harriet Smith than Toni Collette was. I like Collette, but she was so wrong for the part of Harriet.

16. znachki

znachki Active Member

I think I've read all the posts in the thread, and we've veered into various versions and offshoots of Austen's work, but I don't think I've seen anyone mention Lost in Austen, which I thought was a hilarious take on P & P.

17. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I thought that was really great! Recommend.

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ I thought Lost in Austen was pretty great too. Perhaps just a tad too long ... but only a tad. Great premise, well executed.

Other variations on the theme I liked:

Miss Austen Regrets -- Olivia Williams was just about exactly how I imagined Jane to be.

The Jane Austen Book Club (both book and movie) -- another great premise well executed.

And of course, Bride and Prejudice, which we did talk about briefly up-thread. There were a couple of elements of the story that didn't quite translate effectively to modern day (like the utter scandal of Lakhi/Lydia disappearing with Wickham for a day) ... but overall it worked, and was absolutely gorgeous to watch.

19. znachki

znachki Active Member

I like that one quite a lot too. I also likedAmy Heckerling's riff on Emma Clueless, which I'm sure was mentioned upthread. There was also film that was sort of a Mormon version of P&P that was OK - but I can't remember the name, and it's not turning up on IMDb.

20. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I agree, the Amanda Root one is :swoon: I've seen it so many times that I was picturing it in my head the entire time I was reading the book. I figure it might be nice to see an alternate version...so it's either the 1971 or the newer one (which I saw once and wasn't terribly impressed by).

21. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Try the 1971 version. You haven't seen it. I thought it was better then the newer version but way behind the Amanda Root version. It's on YouTube.

22. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Ok, finally have had the time to watch the 1980 version of P&P that so many here recommended.

Hated it.

Shot like a bad soap opera, the acting is bland (does Darcy have ANY expression?), the edits are just odd at times . . . I'll stick with the 1995 version from now on.

But glad I got to see it for comparison, so thanks everyone for the recommendation!

23. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread to say happy 200th birthday to Pride and Prejudice!

And also to note that while sick with the flu last week, I got totally addicted to "The Lizzie Bennet Diaries" which someone linked to up thread. Still not quite caught up with all the episodes yet, but I'm having fun watching them.

skatingfan5 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

Happy birthday P&P :cheer:

I really like the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, here is the link

I started on Saturday and have almost caught up:). I like the way they are portraying Lidia so far; but I´m curious about the scandal. What could it be?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of a good library, must be in want of ... nothing.”

Thanks for the notice -- happy 200th birthday, oh happiest of novels! :cheer:

26. misskarne

misskarne #408

I've always loved the BBC version, but my grandma was given the movie from 2006 (with Kiera Knightley) for Christmas, so we sat down and watched it together. We both acknowledged before the movie stared that obviously some stuff would be different, since they had only two and a half hours where the BBC had six.

But most of the way through we were "nope...nope...nope..."

I honestly believe the casting director was on some kind of amphetamine or other mind-altering substance. I was won over on Matthew Macfadyen (sp?) as Darcy, but Bingley was a bit too goofy, Lizzie too sharp, I spent most of the first part trying to tell Lydia and Kitty apart, Mary was too pretty (sorry Mary!), Wickham too sleazy (he's supposed to be charming!), Mr Collins too creepy, Colonel Fitzwilliam too ugly (the Colonel is supposed to be fair and charming and tempt Lizzy!)...it goes on.

I also disliked the setting. Mr Bennet is a gentleman. He may not be rich, but the estate of Longbourn is a gentleman's manor, and even Elizabeth describes herself in the book as "a gentleman's daughter". The movie Longbourn was too rough for my liking.

On the flipside, I did like some of the altered scenes. The proposal in the rain was pretty well-done, especially because it had that moment when Darcy said he thought Jane indifferent to Bingley and for a single hovering moment, you thought maybe Lizzy might reconsider...the following scene with Lizzy looking in the mirror was also pretty good, except I felt it would have better come after the letter.

And for some reason I liked when Lady Catherine came to Longbourn, as well. Bingley's little freakout over his proposal to Jane was funny.

27. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

200 years and not a wrinkle in sight! :cheer:

BTW, has the BBC's 2009 Emma miniseries been mentioned? I took a quick look through the thread but couldn't see it. Romola Garai plays Emma, Jonny Lee Miller plays Mr. Knightley and Michael Gambon plays a very convincing Mr. Woodhouse - which is not easy, because the character can look like a caricature.

BBC's Emma is nowhere near as unforgettable as the 1995 Pride and Prejudice, but still I enjoyed it. In particular, there is a playfulness to Emma and Mr. Knightley's relationship that comes across very well. Romola Garai looks a bit too modern, with her posture and body language, but I always love watching her. The production value is not as high as in most other BBC period drama series, OTOH I enjoyed all the supporting actors - maybe except Anne Taylor who comes across as a bit too giggly and immature. And it is very romantic, which is essential, innit? ;)

In any case, you'd be better off watching it than not watching it.

misskarne, I totally agree with you about the 2005 P&P.

28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

^ Knowledge Network (BC's public television) just finished replaying this version of Emma and I watched it again. I agree with all your points, though I think I'd give even more credit to Garai. Emma is probably Austen's most "modern" heroine, and I think Garai played the part dead on. (Though I will agree about her posture!)

Gambon was perfect in this role, and I really enjoyed Miller's Knightly too -- though I did see a lot of the same mannerisms he employs in his Sherlock character (or vice versa).

29. znachki

znachki Active Member

Pretty much my reaction except for Mary. Not the casting, but for the fact that for the first time (IMO) you really get something more for/from that character. You really feel that if Mr. Collins had asked, she would have married him, and when he didn't, she is resigned to being the spinster left to care for her parents.

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member