Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, May 23, 2012.

1. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

:rolleyes: Of course they're professionals, but that's still just an awkward situation, especially if the proposal was that romantic. When Ryan Phillippe had to say hateful things to Reese Witherspoon in the breakup scene of Cruel Intentions, he apparently threw up after filming it.

Did you seriously just link me to a fanvid of Jane and Bingley.... :rofl: :blah: All I remember about Mr. Bingley in the movie were the scenes where he comes off as a huge bumbling dufus. Ugh.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Does everyone react this way? No. If everyone worried about being awkward because they had a fling or a relationship, the movie industry would come to a screeching halt.

Look, I don't like the maudlin fan video of the 2005 Bingley/Jane romance either but do you have to be so combative about everything?

3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, the screenwriter did her utmost to remain as faithful to the original novel as possible and to keep as much of the dialogue as possible, which of course is difficult with a time-limited theatrical film presentation. The 2005 version is not the BBC version. Why try to redo something in the same way that has already been done before? The point was to approach the material from a different vantage point and they did a very thoughtful and excellent job of achieving what they set out to do. I was quite skeptical at first, but I found the film mesmerizing.

To each their own way of viewing things. There is a lot written about the vagaries, difficulties and conundrums of adaptation, which might be quite instructive, or maybe not to some. ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  4. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

Who said they were worried about it??? I fully expect professional actors to get over any past history and do the job they were hired for. However, that doesn't stop people from having feelings. Actors aren't robots. Maybe I should have said, "that could be awkward" instead of "is," but I really didn't anticipate this type of discussion.

And combative? I'm actually quite calm. You are misreading my posts. I thought that aftershocks linking me to that video was funny.

5. aftershocks

Ergo, every actor in a relationship throws up after having to say "hateful things" to a real life significant other! :rolleyes: In any case, were Ryan and Reese dating before they made the movie together? As if any of this has any bearing on anything related to Pride and Prejudice or to Simon Woods and Rosamund Pike! :lol:

Sure I linked Bingley/ Jane vid in my post, but not just for your :rofl: :blah: pleasure.

As far as your assessment of Mr. Bingley being "a huge bumbling dufus," well at least he wasn't attempting to propose to you.

6. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

First of all, I was not being that deep with the "awkward" comment. Second, you are the one drawing conclusions that I have no intention of making. "Every" actor? No. Of course not.

I really don't understand why that latter part is even relevant. My assessment for Mr. Bingley being a dufus in the movies is because that's not how he is in the books. And yes, adaptations that take a fresh spin on things is nice. However, in this case, I believe character changes like that are a mistake. And if you like the way that Bingley was portrayed, okay then. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

And about the video, when you first posted the links you had not quoted IceAlisa yet. Thus, I thought they were meant for me.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

True. Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson used to date, long before they were in Sense and Sensibility together! (Not that they played love interests, but still.)

8. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I have not re-read the novel for a long time, but from my recollection Anna is about 28, Vronsky is between 21 and 23.
    And I agree, Vronsky in the upcoming movie fits the bill nicely
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1093951/

If Keira can pull Anna off, more power to her. We only have to wait till November.
    When I said about "slightly older", I meant only comparatively. A 28-year-old- society woman with a 7-year-old son, married to an older man probably "feels" a little older. Just a little. Not so much in looks, as in feeling.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. aftershocks

Good to hear that! But then, altho' interesting, why bring up that Reese/ Ryan (who are long ago parted) tidbit if you weren't making some kind of "awkward" comparison?

No "okay then" about it necessary. To each their own enjoyment. My enjoyment happily is not predicated upon your agreement or disagreement. But thanks anyway for your show of equanimity. :)

Yeah, true. Drat the time lag with posting and number of posts that may intervene within seconds, natch. :D Unless specifically sent in a pm, posts with links are for everyone who enters the thread.

10. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but she did not succeed and she has a strange idea of what being faithful to the original means. Show me where in the original there is a scene where Mr. Bennet leers at Mrs. Bennet, implying that the Bennets are about to have an episode of conjugal bliss. Sorry, but that is as far the original as you can get.

I do not object to the fact that this is not the 1995 version; I object to the fact that it is not really Pride and Prejudice. I have read P & P over 2 dozen times in my lifetime, and I think the 2005 version is an absolute insult.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

12. cailuj365

cailuj365 New Member

It was just an example as to how some professional actors can still be swayed by their lives off-camera.

Nor did I say it should be.

ETA:
    Oh, well then! I didn't know that he was gay. That definitely changes things.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  13. aftershocks

Thanks Vagabond! In any case, they dated for two years, so obviously they had a connection. Plus its not unheard of for people to be bisexual, or for gays to date females.

I'm pretty sure Woods did not decide to portray Bingley that way all on his own. Surely the screenwriter and the director had some major say. :lol: I love Judi Dench as an actor, but I agree the interpretation of Lady Caroline and in particular the lighting in a crucial scene was very off-putting. Would be interesting to discover reasons behind this interpretive approach. Once again, tho' the aim of these filmmakers was not to remake what had been done before.

Gosh, emason, some of you Jane Austen purists are so irate about any adaptation that diverges in the slightest. You must be absolutely apoplectic over this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_and_Prejudice_and_Zombies

14. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

(since the P&P subject is fading) Can you please tell me what do you enjoy about the novel Vanity Fair? why is it one of your favorites?

For me it is one of the most annoying novels in the given genre and subject.

The 2004 film is also the most annoying version of all (film and TV productions), particularly for its attempt to present Becky Sharp as a likeable character who is fighting the high-society's prejudice.

I see no virtue in employing unconventional methods with great vigor only to become part of a conventional society.

I prefer Moll Flanders to Becky Sharp, at least the first one is an HONEST whore and a thief....

I'd be interested to hear what others find enjoyable about Vanity Fair.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Let's see:

--snark
    --irony
    --writing style
    --character development
    --story line
    --did I mention snark?

You don't have to like or approve of Becky Sharp to enjoy the book.

16. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

It's not just Becky Sharp... I also find no outstanding humor, irony, sarcasm, nor notable discordances, nor other interesting literary techniques usually present in the works of satirists of 19th century Europe...

The story line is quite banal... another social climber story, so it seems to me.

17. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

Moll Flanders is on today on my cable channel in Seattle. 1996 version w/ Robin Wright and Morgan Freeman. Has anyone seen it?

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I think that Vanity Fair was without a doubt Thackeray's masterpiece. Slightly flawed, but a masterpiece nonetheless. I didn't care much for the novels that came after, where Thackeray's obsession with Mama T. became disturbingly obvious. Henry Esmond really creeped me out. Makes me want to skip The Virginians.

19. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

It's a very loose, Hollywoodized adaptation. Okay if you haven't read the book, though.

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

You've said this several times. I've seen the 2005 version dozens of times, as it is one of my favorite films, and Keira, for all the hate she's gotten in this thread, one of my absolute favorite actresses (though I certainly would not claim that she's perfect - she has a lot of learning to do). I have no idea where in the film Mr. Bennet leers at Mrs. Bennet. If he does, I certainly never noticed it.

21. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The miniseries with Alex Kingston was great, and I enjoyed the book. But I couldn't get over how Moll had all those children, and just walked away from so many of them. It was in character of course, but it made me sad.

I remember liking Vanity Fair, but I don't really remember why. :lol: A Room With A View, OTOH, was gorgeous. The scene where George finds Lucy in the violet field :swoon:

Pillars of the Earth miniseries is FANTASTIC, btw. Highly recommend.

22. jlai

jlai Title-less

Besides liking the 1980 P&P, I also like all the 70s and 80s BBC adaptation of Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Emma. I highly, highly recommend Persuasion (starring Ann Fairbanks and Bryan Marshall). Very true to the book and IMHO the best Anne. I like the 1986 Mansfield Park too, though I find Fanny a teeny more awkward than I care for. Very excellent acting in 1972 Emma (starring Doran Godwin and John Carson) though Emma was basically 21 going 35. :lol: Perfect Jane Fairfax in that series though. The Knightley/Emma scene also can use a bit more passion, but other than that an excellent adaptation.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

We should have a thread where you get to cast your own Austen novel with timelines thrown out so you could cast a young Kate Winslet with a young Olivier if you wanted to; people are so blasted picky about their Austen adaptations I want to know what they would do! :drama:

But seriously I need to catch up with the 80's adaptations. I am afraid I'm so sold on most of the 90's that I won't keep an open mind.

24. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Regency.

25. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Thank you!

I'm doing that now via YouTube. I'm watching the 1980 Pride and Prejudice. I really haven't gotten very far yet. I started watching it last week, but today, I started over from the beginning. At first I thought it was atrocious, but now it's starting to grow on me. I won't surpass the 1995 version for me, but I think it will be better than the 2005 version. I much prefer the openness and beauty of the 1995 version. The 1980 production values are hard for me to get past. :shuffle:

I plan on watching the 1971 Persuasion next (YouTube!). I absolutely love the 1995 version.

26. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I own the 1980 P&P on tape but when I first got it years ago and started to watch it, I also was turned off early on and never finished watching for the same reason. I'll have to dig it out again (before I don't have a working VCR in the house...since my VHS tapes are clearly destined to go the way of all my vinyl albums tacked in a corner of the basement. Followed by CDs and DVDs in the not too distant future.

27. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Bless her heart, Godwin's Emma always makes me think of Big Bird! :D

Also, John Carson's (Knightley) hair looks very greasy/unwshed all through the movie... :yikes:

28. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. Someone upthread had mentioned the 1980s BBC production of Mansfield Park and while it was more faithful than the later adaptations, I found the production values so distracting that I couldn't enjoy it. Same with the 80s version of Sense & Sensibility, which someone had given me as a gift, sometime before the 2007 version came out. I was hoping that I would enjoy that there was a version that included Anne Steele, Lady Middleton, Willoughby's confession, etc. but it was just too cheesy for me to appreciate that. After those experiences, I'm not sure that it's worthwhile to give the 1980 P&P a try.

29. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I'll admit that I haven't read the book in several years, and so I really only have the movies to go by, but good golly, 1980 Elizabeth is a petulant brat! Give me Jennifer Ehle any day. I know Elizabeth Bennet is quite prejudiced against Darcy, but this version really just makes me want to smack her and makes me wonder how the heck she falls for Darcy (and why he likes her). I'm only up to the first Darcy proposal scene.

ETA This version isn't wholly terrible. I like the added scenes with Charlotte, and the scenes of Darcy meeting up with Elizabeth on her walks around Rosings Park.

30. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I have such a conflicted point of view about the 1980 P&P. On the one hand, it is strangely addictive, and quite different in characters to 1995 version, so it's interesting in its own right. On the other hand, the conversations are lacking inflection and emotion quite often- and while I can more easily forgive it to Mr. Darcy- after all, he is quite open to interpretation ( someone upthread said Colin Firth is more Byronic than Jane Austen might have intended- and it might be so, as much as I adore 1995 Darcy and as much as I think he fits Lizzie's character that way). But 1980 Lizzie, as perfect as she is visually, is so verbose and yet placid, that it is hard for me to get past it. Where is the famous vivacity and archness? She is described as combination of archness and sweetness in the book, and archness is utterly lacking to my eye in 1980 Lizzie. After the infamous first proposal Lizzie smiles after Darcy leaves. Smiles. How? After she said all those horrid things and heard all the horrid things in return?... In the book, she cries for half an hour, and stays very agitated for long times afterwards. People in early 1800 did get agitated. Not so in 1980, apparently.
    And yet there is something compelling in 1980 version, which makes me watch it by small increments- until I cannot stand the placid speeches any longer and need to take a break. But then it calls me back again.
    ( this thread is turning me into P&P connoisseur, LOL)

Last edited: May 29, 2012