Pride & Prejudice: your favorite version?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manleywoman, May 23, 2012.

1. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I am not that well- versed in young actresses, alas. But I'll think about it!

2. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Natalie Portman

3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I didn't say she was a one trick pony. I said she is too modern and hasn't demonstrated a depth required for the role of Anna.

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Sylvestra Le Touzel? What a marvelous name!!

5. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I didn't mean you specifically, I just was commenting on the general tenor of the discussion about her.

6. jobelle

jobelle Member

I love all three Emma adaptations but for very different reasons. Northam is my favorite Knightly. I adore Beckinsale's Emma and the strength of the story. And the new one with Ramola Garai is very refreshing and I like the longer length. (and the music from her dance with Mr. Knightly is wonderful ... I actually used it in my wedding last summer).

Favorite P&P is the BBC one, no contest. I watched the 2005 one but I can't stand Keira Knightly and I didn't like McFadyen's Darcy or the overly romantic style of the movie. Good movie, beautiful cinematography and score. It just isn't P&P.

Oh and in the newer Sense and Sensibility Hattie Morahan as Elinor Dashwood is absolutely wonderful. I have great respect for Thompson but Morahan absolutely nailed that part! She makes me tear up multiple times during the movie.

7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

This is my favorite version of Mansfield Park! I have it on DVD and have watched it over and over. While it doesn't have lush sets and beautiful lighting, it doesn't really matter because it is so true to the book. Sylvestra Le Touzel is Fanny Price! :respec:

Oh, and the there are the Crawford siblings! I could go on and on about this adaptation - it's so good!

8. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Thank you. I just have to watch the BBC series on my dvd again.:p even though I know some of the dialogue by heart.

I never could buy K.K. as Elizabeth Bennet, because she did not look intellectual enough with her mouth open all the time. 05 movie tried to be more sensual, but K.K. just ruined it for me.

Austen is a wonderful writer. You can just open her collected works from ome page and enjoy the wittiness of the language. It is like Oscar Wilde.

9. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I have this one, I like it very much, except that I didn't really like the casting of Mary Crawford, not pretty enough and her hairstyle was like 1970's. Anna Massey was fabulous as the hateful Mrs. Norris.

10. AYS

Even my kids know a lot of the dialogue by heart. ;) As they were born in '92 and '94, they were literally raised on it and they still haul it out and watch it all the way through periodically.

Thanks to those that mentioned Pemberley Shades earlier. I've read a jillion of these Austen sequels/spin-offs/etc but since this was out of print until the last several years, had never read it and am doing so right now (it's available on kindle!).

11. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Exactly; they both wrote satirical comedy of manners, but in their own styles. In my book none of the modern Austen imitators comes close, because of the slavish attempts to copy Austen's voice. Wilde, of course, wasn't trying to imitate anyone, but just be Wilde. They are two of the best in my opinion.

12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

While we're talking about classic lit screen adaptations ... what about Vanity Fair? It was never my favourite book, and although the 1998 BBC mini-series had a lot of good stuff stuff in it, it did nothing to make me love the book -- or Becky -- more. But then there came the 2004 Mira Nair film. I think this film is the exception to the rule of "please don't let American starlets play classic English lit roles" -- I thought Reece Witherspoon was just about perfect in her interpretation of the role (aside from the ocassional accent slip). And I absolutely loved Nair's visually stunning "Indian additions" to the story.

13. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Searching for Cizeron's Instagram

Since we are on Indian part, I am eagerly waiting for the release of Midnight's children (Rushdie wrote the screenplay :)). It will be a very interesting and complex film to show a very complex country with all its irony.

I started writing a hate post to everyone who thinks Jennifer Ehle did not do a great job as Lizzie Bennet, but stopped it before it became an essay. Anyway I think Jennifer for me will always remain the Lizzie Bennet, I think Austen will approve of her performance.On Mr.dracy, Mathew Macfayden is a brilliant actor, his role in 'Death at a Funeral' will always be one of my favourite roles of his (and he is married to Keeley Hawes :swoon:). However, the way he played Mr.Darcy made it look like Mr.Darcy lacked self confidence and suffered from insecurity. The way he played the role, the movie could very well be titled 'Insecurities and complexes', the guy looked anxious through out the movie, I wish he had take some Valium:p.

14. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I thought that was an interesting interpretation of Darcy's character, though. Maybe some of the reason he's so haughty and prideful is to cover up insecurity.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I caught a bit of Mia Wasikowska's Jane Eyre yesterday whose Mr. Rochester is particularly repulsive IMO. But anyway, he was chopping down some old tree and digging out the roots--clearly doing some gentleman farming although it was a passing fancy for his own entertainment, no doubt.

16. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

“Anna Karenina” actually has a face….:lol: Her fictional character is linked to a real person, Baroness Varvara Ivanovna Ikskul von Hildenbandt, a young woman married to a high ranking Russian government official much older than herself. Baroness left her husband with 2 children, moved to Paris and pursued a rather bohemian and un-orthodox life style, much to dismay of her husband and the rest of the Russia’s high society at the time. Baroness knew Lev Tolstoy and was involved in many of his charitable activities in Russia.

There are no links to this story in English that I could find. Just few Russian articles, here is one:

http://hrono.ru/biograf/bio_i/ikskul_varv.php

Ilya Repin painted Baroness’ portrait, known as “Red Woman”, and called it “his Anna Karenina”. The portrait is still hanging in the Tretyakov Galleria.

http://www.utoronto.ca/tolstoy/tolstoy-and-the-arts/russian/works/anna/anna14.htm

http://bellapalooza.blogspot.com/2012/01/baroness-von-hildenbandt.html

When I saw Emily Blunt in “Young Victoria”, I immediately thought that she is the actress who should play Anna Karenina” some day.

http://www.wildsound-filmmaking-feedback-events.com/images/emily_blunt_red_carpet.jpg

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would love to see Emily Blunt, whose work I absolutely love, do Anna Karenina. She's got both comedic and dramatic talent.

18. AYS

Lol, I just told my daughters about this thread and 2 seconds later, they are starting up the 1995 DVD. :lol:

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Reese's Becky Sharp was written way too nicely in that adaptation. Afterall, don't forget what happened to poor old Jos in the end.

Maybe she did and maybe she didn't... :EVILLE: :saint:

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Vanity Fair is one of my all time favorite books, the one I go back to every few years or so. The Reese Witherspoon film fell short of my (admittedly very high) expectations.

21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this. I was surprised to hear she had the role but then I was pleased with her performance.

IceAlisa---I like your choice of Emily Blunt but you mentioned you wanted someone a little older for Anna. Is she old enough?

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

For Anna Karenina, I can't imagine a more suitable face than Keira Knightley's. She looks absolutely majestic in the photos. The problem usually starts when she starts speaking. I don't think she is too young though. I've imagined Anna to be barely 30, isn't she? Their age difference with Vronski must be negligible, if any.

Some of the rest of the cast are very surprising IMO. In what universe can Jude Law be Karenin? :eek: They've tried to make him look less than drop-dread gorgeous by putting glasses on him and making him grow a beard, but come on! Vronski is played by 21-year-old Aaron Johnson, hair and moustache bleached blond and curled like some teenager trying to shock his parents. Who in her right mind would cast a glance at him when she has Jude Law at home? ;)

Terrific Oblonski with Matthew Macfadyen though and the choice of dark and sophisticated Alicia Vikander for Kitty may mean there'll be more to the role than looking naive and having her heart broken.

I must admit I can't wait! I'm so curious! :cheer:

OTOH it would be nice to see an important Russian adaptation of Anna Karenina. Pride and Prejudice is not regularly produced by Russian actors, directors and producers, so I can't see why the British get to adapt Anna Karenina time and again.

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yeah, well. That's the problem, isn't it? Keira will have to do a lot more than pose for photos in this movie. This isn't a shoot for Vogue.

Jude Law is a strange choice for Karenin. :confused: Although I agree, they'd done a pretty good job uglifying him. And that's a very pretty Vronsky, as he should be.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  24. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

BBC version definetely, there is such a huge chemistry between Ehle and Firth.

25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I absolutely enjoy and adore the 2005 film version -- so unexpected and delightful in approach, casting, and irresistibility! It definitely has a modern twist but with a reverence for the source material at the same time. Love Brenda Blethyn, Donald Sutherland and the quirky choices of Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden in the title roles. The entire cast hits it out of the ballpark. Sidenote: Carey Mulligan as Kitty Bennett in her first major film role.

For its time and venue, the Firth BBC version is epic and unforgettable (especially Firth's performance). However, for unabashed romance and updated majesty/ magic, the 2005 film version is my absolute FAVE! The ending is so romantic ... it sweeps me off my feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAxCxb4c2wo In The End PP 2005 montage

Interesting fact: According to Wiki, "screenwriter, Deborah Moggach changed the film's period setting to the late 18th century partly out of concern that it would be overshadowed by the 1995 BBC adaptation." Stroke of genius it turned out to be, in my estimation.

My favorite scenes: climax between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy that leads to the gorgeous ending with the rising sunlight enhancing the romantic beauty of new beginnings.

Also, nervous Bingley's proposal to Jane. The fun part is that Bingley's Simon Woods and Jane's Rosamund Pike used to date each other at Oxford, two years before they were cast in the film. Woods and Pike are the cutest and sweetest Bingley/ Jane pairing ever.

Actually every scene in the film is worthy of cherishing and viewing again and again, particularly the ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IurD5ZPcTnY&feature=fvwrel

Per director, Joe Wright: I wanted to make something that is about young people, about young people experiencing these emotions for the first time and not understanding the feelings they are having. If you have a 40-year-old man as your star not understanding the feeling he's having then it becomes a bit unbelievable and suspect...

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I do have to say that the 2005 Bingley proposal to Jane was quite nice.

27. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Were they still dating? Because if not, that's kind of awkward. :shuffle:

aftershocks, I think you cherish that movie for every reason I find it mediocre and indulgent. Your favorite scene was exactly the scene I described earlier that I thought was so cliche. :lol: Really different way of seeing things, I suppose...

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This is the movie industry, everyone dates everyone. They are all professionals.

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdTURwqOvMI Jane and Bingley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSMKvHRbHC8 'Mr. Bingley's single' scene

calluj365 -- they had broken up after dating at Oxford, not unusual when you are young and embarking on a difficult career. The fact they used to date, I think added to their chemistry together as Bingley and Jane. I don't see any awkwardness in their having had a prior real life relationship. I don't know if they got together again after making the movie together. They probably did do some promotion together for the movie, as photos would suggest:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Simo...aNKT46QHF_LHcCg&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=623

And btw, reasons are what they are!

Reasons, the reasons that we hear,
    The reasons that we fear, our feelings a-won't disappear
    -- Earth, Wind, & Fire

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  30. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Aftershocks,

I don't see how you can see any reverence for the source material in the 2005 remake. Disdain, yes, but reverence no. The 2005 version is appalling in its disregard for the source.