Pretty Little Liars

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Feb 21, 2011.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Admit it. You watch it. You love it. I kept thinking someone would start this thread but part of me thinks we all didn't want to admit we were hooked. :p

But this is a completely awesome show. Yeah, it can be ridiculous, and A must be a magic fairy or something, but when you have characters as awesome as Hanna, Spencer, and Emily (...Aria's alright too, I suppose...) who cares? Even the guys at TWoP give it A+'s every week.

Who else looks forward to Mondays every week?

2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Guilty. Hanna's my favorite, partially because I'm obsessed with her wardrobe. I've read the first few books, and I'm curious how closely they're going to follow as the series goes on.

3. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Love the TV series. Haven't read the books but I've heard that the producers have said that A is not the same person as the books. I kind of love Aria and her story line makes me feel like a terrible person for rooting for a teacher and a student to make it work. I console myself with the fact that the actors are 21 and 24 which is totally normal.

But yes, totally and completely guilty.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I've been watching Practical Magic on ABC and saw ads for this show--what's this about (tweens with really nice hair?)

Titanic is up next, btw.

5. KikiSashaFan

6. michiruwater

Yes it is. Basically, four former best friends are brought back together when the body of the former Queen Bee of their group is found and they begin receiving texts (and notes, etc.) from someone named 'A' who knows secrets they only told Alison, the girl who died. Now they're trying to figure out who murdered Alison, who A is, and why A is trying to ruin their lives.

It's completely addicting, and the four main characters (well, not Aria, IMO) are very well-developed and realistic, and quite wonderfully acted. Aria's storylines are that her parents are getting divorced - boring - and that she's having a chemistry-less affair with her English teacher, which is just stupid. The character lacks personality compared to the other three, I think, but I know a crapton of crazy shippers absolutely love her. And Lucy Hale is crazy pretty.

Thanks for the note about Titanic but I have midterms tomorrow and really can't stay up to watch it :( But if school gets canceled it's been on my docket of things to do :lol:

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I remember Lucy Hale from the Traveling Pants. She was Alexis Bledel's little (naughty) sister.

8. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Hanna is just plain awesome. She makes everyone better. Spencer is great too. I only really like Emily around Hanna or Toby. She's pretty boring otherwise.

Aria is my least fave. I actually decided to check out the show because I liked Lucy Hale on Privileged. Emily/Toby are what hooked me.

I hate Aria/Ezra and can't understand their popularity. Besides being dull, they're both dumber than a box of hair. It has nothing to do with a teacher/student relationship. I ship Payson/Sasha on MIOBI, so I have no problem with this type of relationship if there's actually chemistry and a halfway interesting story.

9. michiruwater

Hanna's my favorite character too. She gets 90% of the best dialogue, and she and that one guy recently have had conversations that were just plain awesome (I totally can't recall his name... but he's totally :grope:). Spencer's really grown on me recently though. She's just been so :kickass: in the past few episodes, moreso than usual.

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Guilty? Yes. Addictive? Yes. And I'm ALMOST old enough to be the high school girls' grandmother! I told a friend that the show is spooky and kinda ridiculous at the same time.

11. KikiSashaFan

A few weeks ago I was watching the new episode and someone phoned for me, and my boyfriend answered and said "she can't talk right now, she's watching some weird girly remake of I Know What You Did Last Summer." :lol: I hadn't thought about it, but that kind of sums it up.

12. michiruwater

It's so much better than that movie though :lol:

I have an abrupt snow day - yes! - so PLL marathon for me today. Awesome.

13. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Completely addicted, and I loved the books way before there was ever talk of a TV show. Now because the TV show is so popular, there's going to be more PLL books....yay! Spencer was always my favorite in the books, and I love the character in the show just as much. Emily bores me, Hanna is ok and I like Aria. Most people hate the Aria-Ezra relationship but I like it because it's so deliciously inappropriate.

I'm bummed it was moved to 8 PM though, my skating lessons starts again tonight and I am going to get home late and miss most of it.

14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Ahh I thought I was the only one who watched! :slinkaway It's totally my guilty pleasure, I'm so addicted.

My future roommate and I watch together every week and and she asked me last night if I was planning to watch tonight and I was like umm yeah, there's a shower scene. Of course I'm watching! Lol.

15. Theatregirl1122

You had a snow day? I'm so jealous. I had a midterm.

16. redonthehead

redonthehead New Member

We watch it too!

At the end of the show each week, we usually look at each other and say "what?!?!?!"

I like Aria and Ezra though I think he's acting like a jerk tonight.

17. michiruwater

He did act like a jerk tonight. It was kind of weird and out-of-character. I didn't like it.

Hanna and Caleb, though, I can totally get behind that. And Spencer/Toby, even though I never thought I'd say that.

And can I say, from seeing last week's episode again, that I kind of adore the way they've played out Emily's mom? Seeing her try so hard, while kind of dying inside over the whole thing, and then standing up to Paige's awful father for her daughter because she's her daughter, it's all felt very real to me.

18. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm not into Hanna/Caleb as a couple. I'd hoped they'd remain just friends, but this show never gives me what I want in terms of couples (Emily/Toby!).

Where the hell is Lucas? It's like he just dropped off the face of the earth. I think he'll be back for the finale at least, but it sucks that they've just ignored him. At least they brought Mona back. I may not like her, but it's nice to actually see her. I don't like it when characters disappear without a mention. Sure, they're not main characters, but they shouldn't be treated like they don't exist. If they were one off characters I'd understand more, but they've had a decent amount of exposure in Hanna's storyline. I hope they don't decide to just drop Lucas altogether after the season finale because they've essentially replaced him with Caleb in Hanna's story.

Jenna is so deliciously creepy.

I hate Alison more and more with every passing episode. And it's not a 'love to hate' type of dislike either. I'm glad the girls are starting to realize what a horrid person she was. I hope it gets to a point where none of them can defend her any longer.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  19. Theatregirl1122

I'm totally behind Hannah and Caleb. I was on board with Hannah and Lucas because I love nerds. I would totally date the nerd. And I was not at all a fan of her boyfriend. But I actually really like her with Caleb. And her hair looked great in this episode. (yes, shallow.)

I have to say, I still haven't got a clue who A is.

20. michiruwater

A being Jenna is just too damned obvious but I have no idea whom else it could be. If it turns out it's someone we've seen all along I'll be surprised. It'll probably be someone we haven't even been introduced yet, because other than Jenna I don't see how anyone could possibly even begin to know all that A knows.

Or I'll go with TWoP's opinion, and A is simply magic.

I've been wondering where Lucas is too. I do like Caleb but I don't like the idea that Lucas just disappears because Hanna has a hot new man. I'd like her to be friends with Lucas at least - they had such a good storyline going!

Her hair always looks great. :p

21. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

My best friend has convinced me to watch this show...I'm making my way through the first couple of episodes. It's fun guilty pleasure TV.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Okay, I spent an embarasssing amount of time in front of the computer today, and I am all caught up.

Hanna & Spencer are my favorites; Aria is my least favorite. I thought her and Ezra were painful in the last episode; but generally, I love them because it is oh-so-wrong.

I have no idea who is A. Jesus or a wizard, I'm guessing.

I really liked Spencer and Alex together. I wish he'd make a comeback. I loved Lucas, too. I'm torn on how I feel about Hanna and Caleb together. I do like him, though.

I don't like Paige. I hope they don't make her and Emily have a romantic storyline. I love how they've handled Emily's mother - she's obviously struggling with Emily coming out, but she loves her daughter, will stand up for her and is really trying.

23. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I don't like Paige either...I watch with two of my friends at school and I've openly admitted that part of the reason I don't is because of her hair. I mean, hair is hair...it's just stuff on top of a person's head. But her bangs just annoy me for some reason, and I just don't like her hair. And that's all I have to say about Paige, lol.

24. michiruwater

Everyone who has been over while I was watching has, without fail, made a negative comment about Paige's hair :lol:

25. KikiSashaFan

Hannah and Caleb are beyond adorable together.

26. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Ooooh, Caleb, what is he out of? Was he helping A?

This has been a steamy episode by PLL standards. Who knew Toby had such a hot bod?

Poor Spencer's being framed this time around :(

27. KikiSashaFan

My first thought was actually the nephew guy. Maybe he was working with him to claim all that cash, and all that stuff about his pen and whatnot was him trying to get in further with them.

28. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Count me in, I'm totally addicted.
    I have been watching it for 2 seasons now.
    My 2 cents? I don't think Jenna is really still blind. Her sight came back but she is faking to control Toby.
    If A isn't Jenna, I have no idea who it could be.
    Maybe Lucas, but, maybe not.

29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

If there ever was a blind woman that needed to be slapped...:shuffle:

Poor Spencer. Poor Hanna. Ian is such a creep. I don't know how her parents keep him in the house.

Maybe Melissa killed Allison?

30. KikiSashaFan

I can't decide who's creepier, Ian or Jenna. The Hanna/Caleb thing is sad. I don't think he was doing anything maliciously (at least not at A's level), and it just got out of hand. But then everytime I think I have this show figured out everything changes.