Pretty Little Liars - Season 4!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Jun 11, 2013.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Season 4 starts tomorrow! ABC Family did a re-cap tonight that I saw half of, and I re-watched most of the first season (amazing how many things have changed since then). Super excited to see where they go with Red Coat, Mona being one of the Liars now instead of on the A-Team, and the various relationships, especially with Caleb being a cast member on that spin-off that sounds like it has nothing whatsoever to do with PLL and that I don't plan on watching (I swear if they break up Hannah and Caleb for that I am going to write so many angry e-mails). I hope Spencer and Toby find some measure of stability, though I doubt it. I also hope that Aria has an age-appropriate boyfriend during this season.

What are you looking forward to? :)
  2. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

Soo excited! I think this is my only teen drama left, all the other shows have ended!
  3. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

4. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Ahh, I was so hoping to see Ezra go to jail, but it was only a day dream :p

I'm intrested in seeing where Melissa fits in, and the Wilden mystery unfold, but I'm not happy with Mona inserting herself into the group. She should be in jail for attempted murder, not buddying up to the liars.
  5. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Don't even get me started on that! Did you notice that the on-screen hashtag said #poorEzra? :rolleyes:

I probably shouldn't have, but I cracked up when Spencer was digging around in Wilden's coffin looking for that ringing cell phone.

Mrs. Dilaurentis is so creepy. I :yikes: right along with Spencer when they showed her staring at her

Also, I never thought it would happen, but I'm over Spencer/Toby. Spencer lost what little sanity she had over Toby being part of the A team, but it's all better now because Toby's not really part of the A team after all. That revelation rendered a half season's worth of storylines pointless - and plus, I think it's totally out of character for Spencer to believe Toby is completely "good" now.
  6. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Are we PLL twins or something? ;)

I couldn't agree more! That whole "Toby is A" plot was such a waste. At this point they need to start going back to the book for source material, since they are clearly struggling after the first 2 seasons.

I didn't see the #PoorEzra, until someone over at TWOP pointed it out. What a JOKE! Yes, poor Ezra....going to jail for his crime of being a predator...but because he's ZOMG HOTT and Ezria are twu wuv 4eva!!11! it's totally trendy.
  7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

This was a really weak, disjointed season opener. And I know it's silly considering how far from reality this show is, but the little girls on the merry-go-round that appeared out of nowhere was just too much. Yes, A has magically found five girls who look exactly like the Liars in physical type and dress wearing $300 outfits, roaming around a trailer park. I'm OK with a cop car single-handedly dredged from the bottom of the lake and left in the center of town with a dead pig in the trunk, but five overdressed ten year olds just takes it too far.

Also, Toby either needs to be on the A Team and be evil or he needs to just shut up, take his shirt off, and look pretty. The show is at its best when it focuses on the Liars. We don't need these tandems because the writers didn't expect the show to last four seasons. Does anyone really care about Toby's mom? Really? How does that advance the plot in any way, shape, or form?
  8. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I was just so glad to see the show back that I don't care if the story was below par.
    Hmmm now that Mona and Toby have gone straight, I wonder if A has any more little helpers.
  9. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I am betting everything that Allison is still alive, one way or another.
    I watched a Poirot episode last night wich evolved around twins. I am sure it's something like that. A good versus evil twin. Exactly like the Poirot story. Since I watched both episode back to back, that probably has to do with my "theory" :lol:
  10. Matryeshka

I had that thought maybe four episodes in, and I had the thought more seriously during a Halloween special--IIRC, it started out with a flashback, and Allie telling a story about a good twin/bad twin. I think they've pretty much boxed themselves into Allie being a twin/doppleganger or going supernatural. Either way, I'll be annoyed because both are lazy writing (unless the show starts out with a supernatural element).

I'm not feeling it this year. Tonight's episode was just weird. The over-the-top Hitchcock-esque filming of Spoby's scenes, complete with muted color scheme and creepy birds flying. They have too many storylines going right now, and instead of whittling them down, they're just making them bigger in an attempt to get them to make sense. Ezra needs to leave; he is now pointless. Much as I love Topless Toby, I think his time is done. I'm tired of Hannah's mom's story line--thought it did give Hannah a few scenes to show off her acting chops.
  11. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

That was Ravenswood, where the spinoff will be set. I think they were going for creepy, but I was laughing at how cliché it all was.

One would think that having some all-knowing ghost ninja stalker following you around constantly would prevent these girls from doing dumb things, except apparently not, demonstrated by Emily's brilliant plan to drop off that video, and Hannah's attempt at destroying evidence.
  12. Matryeshka

The preview of Ravenswood totally sucked me in The season finale of PLL might have just redeemed the entire season for me. I'm not completely shocked. If it's not a twin, it would have to be an adult--one who can move about freely, has access to the liars and their friends, and likes playing with age-inappropriate girls. The set-up was well-done; there have been hints the whole time. See tweeny shippers, it IS creepy when your oddly-troll-like-but-you're-supposed-to-think-is-nerdy-cute teacher wants a relationship. Ezra would know about the affair because he worked at the college. He would have access to Aria's secrets. He could be seen cavorting with students without anyone raising an eye because a) he's the oogy teacher, and every school has an oogy teacher who hangs out where the kiddies do, and b) he likes poetry slams. Lesson the third that PLL teaches our youth: stay away from men who willingly go to poetry night at the tragically hip hipster coffee bar. :yikes: Nothing good ever comes of chai lattes and sweater vests. All the literary lessons make sense too, and I think there was another episode where Ezra did some type of magic. At one point, I considered Aria's mom under the same logic.

It also calls into question how bad is CeeCee Drake--she obviously stopped the saw from killing Emily, so is she a victim who was simply watching the watcher or is she playing some game of her own cause Teacher Troll done her wrong and she wants to write a country song about it (sung by Miranda Lambert).

Is Ravenswood going to be set in the PLL universe, with Caleb as Caleb? I guess it was an interesting marketing tie-in, and there's always been an undercurrent of the spooky in PLL, but it was a little over the top. Especially with the "sensitive" old woman with the serial killer blue eyes (yes, that's a color in the big box of Crayolas).
  13. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

Yea, it's in the same universe. We'll meet the rest of the characters in the annual Halloween special.

This show has a terrible habit of undoing major plot twists, but I hope they don't undo EzrA, that's the most interesting I've ever found him. Plus, it reall does make sense.

Not only that, but in the flashback episode "The First Secret" it showed that Ezra actually attended Hollis College while Aria's dad was a professor there, so I'm sure word of his affair got out.
  14. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Sooo did anyone else watch the summer finale? THAT was a great episode. And the ending...something I kind of saw coming, but I still was just like :eek:
    ETA: Sorry, I didn't see that there were new posts discussing the summer finale before I posted this morning. Considering not coming on here on my phone anymore lol.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  15. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I really don't think Ezra is A. I think after Aria kissed him he followed her and ended up there by accident.
  16. lmarie086

Warning: spoilers below!

Tonight was spooky (in a somewhat overdone way that made me want to giggle, though I was legitimately nervous while watching lol), even while the episode really didn't contain a whole lot. Traipsing through the tunnel into the house was really drawn out, solely for the purpose of introducing the audience more to the idea of Ravenswood. Which I'm pretty sure I could do without.

But I can't wait for the show to come back in January! Alison being back is really going to amp things up, IMO. Or so I'm hoping. It'll be interesting to see how they explain the missing pieces of the night she disappeared, and how they fit Ezra into it all. I do think his being A makes sense, plus it's what I have been hoping for haha.

Speaking of Ezra, maybe I need to rewatch a few episodes, but I thought Aria was dating that other guy and told Ezra to back off. Why is he all of a sudden all up in her business, and why is she not questioning it?

Side note: if they do anything to break up Hanna and Caleb, I'll riot.
  17. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

They had a "thing" in the summer finale, they kissed but they're not back together. Aria looked a bit puzzled each time Ezra showed up.

Caleb decided to stay in Ravenswood to help a girl he just met on a bus made absolutely no sense to me.

Me too, on both accounts. I am worried, though, because this show has the worst habit of completely undoing a big reveal.

As for piecing together the night Ali disappeared....

Kinda spoilerish!

We're also going to find out what Spencer was doing the night Ali disappeared.
  18. lmarie086

It's back tonight! :cheer: Who else is watching? :)

Also, has anyone been following Ravenswood? I have zero interest in it, outside of the fact that they better not ruin Hannah and Caleb's relationship. I will riot.
  19. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates New Member

I tried to watch the first episode, but lost interest. I just find the whole premise pretty silly because I can't buy that Caleb would just leave Hannah to help some girl he's only known for 5 minutes. I really didn't like their scenes last night. Caleb and Hannah have the most honest relationship on the show, so it seemed out of character for Caleb to be so shady about what's going on in Ravenswood. But then again, maybe the writers want to limit the Ravenswood discussion on PLL because of the supernatural elements of that show?
  20. Matryeshka

So, who else loved Mona and Ezra's conversation? That was some top-notch--one might say grade "A"--teen soapy overly dramatic, foreboding, and foreshadowing banter going on there. I wished I had popcorn.

I'm over Toby's mom's storyline. He needs to take off his shirt and look pretty. Not loving the introduction of another group of girls where one was the manipulative ringleader and "goes missing." Hoping that's a one-off storyline that gets buried the unceremonial death it deserves.

Please, for the love of all that's holy, let Ravenswood be cancelled quickly and we can just get back to watching Hannah/Caleb. There needs to be one functional relationship on this show, and I like them way better than Spoby. That relationship IMO is tapped out, and since Spencer could probably have believable chemistry with a spoon, I'd be all in favor of Toby going away for a while. Or at least not speak.
    lmarie086 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Was very excited to watch new PLL shows.
    I can't get into Ravenswood at all. I have watched every show and it just doesn't hold my interest.
    I'm surprised they brought it back for another season.