Pretty Little Liars - Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Jun 5, 2012.

1. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I am :fragile: over Toby being the betrayer but at the same time I'm super excited to see how it develops. I think it was a good move.

2. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Just watched it. :eek: :yikes: :respec:

That was not Toby. That was Toby's evil twin...Moby. :denial: :drama: and :watch: (Even though I would be heartbroken if it actually was an evil twin--evil twins are a sign of lazy writing IMO) I think it was really smart to reveal one of/final A team member and have the audience guess about the why/how instead of the who.

I can honestly say, I did not see that one coming until the SURPRISE!! Toby's back in town and he and Spence had sexy time, because teenage girls having sex before marriage CANNOT go unpunished in TV land. As soon as he said "I'm right where I need to be," and all answering-but-not-really Spencer's questions about the job, I was :wuzrobbed

The only thing I didn't like was the Aria/Ezra story line. To me, that has played itself out and they've run out of gambits for this one. It didn't relate to the rest of the episode AT ALL. Ezra needs to get a good job in some boring far away place and have a non-dramatic exit, stage left. I will, of course, forgive them all if this is what they're doing--Ezra breaks up with Aria to be with his baby momma and they all go far, far away beyond Momma Ezra's wrath. With Moby's big reveal, it would have made IMO much more sense to have a scene with Jenna being all creepy-frenemy-warning. It makes me wonder when Jenna gave Emily that warning if she was referring to Nate or if she'd figured out it was Moby.

So, yeah, fiction and all, but I'd really like to see the "A" Team V. Emily from Revenge and the Liars team up. I'm sure there's some really dreadful crossover fanfic about that already, but damn, wouldn't that be a level playing field?

3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Halloween Special is tonight.....I totally forgot and just saw a promo.

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Wow. That episode has to be one of their creepiest ever. That little girl creeped me out like crazy.

So everyone any of them is dating or has ever dated is A?

5. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Man, I knew there was a Halloween special but I guess I thought it was next week! I cannot WAIT until this is up on Hulu!

6. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

I may or may not have let out a blood-curdling scream when
    Aria saw Garrett's body.

7. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Very good episode. Who do we think is the killer?

8. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have no idea. But every time I see Mona I feel ice going down my spine. She is creepy.

Does anyone know how closely the series follows the books?

9. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Other than the girls names, not very. Aria is the only one that looks like her book counterpart. In the books Emily is a pale red head, Spencer is blonde and blue eyed and Hanna has dark hair and dark eyes. Some story arcs are similar, but in the books by this point
    Mona died going over the cliff, Toby is dead, Jenna is dead, Garret is barely shown and Ezra is arrested
    But to me the biggest difference, is in the books the girls aren't friends. They only come together sporadically when A is really screwing with them, other than that they're never together.

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

When I went to quote, the words in the spoiler box showed up so I just did the XXXXXXX's.

Anyway, holy moley. I had to watch it before it got dark here. I had my hands up like the kid in Home Alone (ha ha ha) practically the whole time getting ready to scream or cover my eyes or something, but I made it! Geez Louise!!!! Does anybody else get tired of telling them not to go anywhere alone. How STUPID can you be? Someone's been killing people you know for two years and you walk around in the dark by yourself? Sheesh.

Plus, just as a logical (yeah, sure) point, no train company is going to be liable for teenagers walking around outside to go between train cars, even if there isn't a psycho on board. Sorry, I know it wouldn't have been as exciting in one big room!

11. michiruwater

Finally saw it (stupid internet).

Holy crap, I think that was the creepiest episode ever! Even after reading this thread, I still was legit totally freaked out when we saw Garrett. Like, I didn't even anticipate that he would be in the box with Aria... ugh, sends shivers up my spine even now, can you imagine??

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea that Byron killed Ali. I don't know why, I just do. I hope that's it. I already don't like him and it just fits so well with his general creepiness and asshatery.

All the girls looks gorgeous. I loved how ridiculous Emily and Paige were on purpose, Hanna looked adorable, it some how fit that Aria would pretentiously dress up as one of my least-favorite literary characters of all time (I hate, hate, hate Daisy Buchanan. Hate.), and wow, Spencer was a bombshell. I remember that when I first started watching this I actually thought Troian was less pretty than the rest of them. I now have no idea how I ever thought that.

Also, they should stop having her interact with other character's significant others, because it doesn't matter who it is, Troian has better chemistry with them. I swear I could realistically ship Spencer/anyone on the show. For the like 3 seconds Paige and Spencer were alone onscreen I was like, woah, and she still has super awkward amounts of chemistry with her half-brother. I seriously hope Troian has a fabulous career after this show is over.

12. Matryeshka

No matter how religious this show gets, I'm still buying whatever they're selling.

I'm a weak, weak person. I know Toby is evil because he wears a hoodie, but then he's shirtless and I think, well, maybe he's just a little naughty. Then he does Crazy Eyes. Then I remember him in a hot tub. :shuffle:

Jason is a stupid, stupid man. I might start rooting for Mona--most of these people are so dumb they deserve to be Monamarrionettes. Morrionettes?

Hanna's grandmother is awesome. She should replace Aria, who continues to be useless. We also learned that Emily's father is in the army. He knows things. He's lost people. He was in the army, and yes, he has the T-shirt.

13. michiruwater

Hanna's grandmother is awesome. As is Hanna, who continues to be just wonderfully vulnerable and strong at the same time. I remember when I saw the pilot, and Hanna popped up, and I thought, "oh, great, another blonde bitchy stereotype." And then, no, we get Hanna, this soft-hearted girl who is nice to pretty much every body, makes friends with losers, geeks, and cast-outs like they're going out of style, continuously grants forgiveness when the other girls are incapable of it, but remains strong and smart in most situations despite all the enormous amount of shit that gets thrown her way constantly. She's such a breath of fresh air on TV.

And I feel terrible for Spencer. I'm sure they're setting her up to finally just crack after being a total, obsessive, hardcore badass for two seasons running, but literally every single person she loves is now either doing something remarkably stupid/possibly betraying her (Jason), outright betraying her (Toby), or... I mean, her family is so screwed up and sketchy (though her mom goes in and out of being pretty awesome as well). Spencer has been my favorite character (just a step above Hanna) since early season 2, and Troian is just supremely talented (the look of fear on her face in the hot tub was so perfect and not overdone at all) and I know this season is going to completely break my heart in regards to her sometime soon.

Also, Caleb is still the Best Boyfriend Ever. And I am fine with that. Hann deserve BBE material.

Aria's plotlines continue to be insipid and boring. I mean, what the hell, like Meredith actually thought Aria's friends blew her up due to the fact that they were texting about her legitimately sketchy past in class. Texting is not equal to blowing anyone up. Kids text in class all the time. And if you slept with a girl's father and broke up her parents marriage, you probably shouldn't expect her to treat you terribly well as your student. Aria didn't even do much. I would have been much more visibly upset in her situation.

Emily's plot was super boring. Yawn.

14. Matryeshka

I'm so glad this doesn't come on at the same time as Revenge; my nerves couldn't take it.

Yes, there are girls going down basements in stairs, but I LOVE the story line of they've survived, they're so inured to the danger, they've become cocky and numb at the same time. Not that this--any of this--would ever happen in the real world, but if it did, I can totally see teenagers acting that way, especially ones who are at the same time too smart for their own good and not smart enough. I can equally see Paige and Caleb being the ones to say, ummm, y'all a bit cray-cray.

Spoby :wuzrobbed I felt so bad, so, so, so bad for Spencer at the end, especially after she was so strong in confronting Toby.

Mona does creepy so well. And who the hell was playing the piano? Was it Jenna? We haven't really seen her this season except for her warning to Emily (which, btw, I totally called). It wasn't Aria.

15. michiruwater

I adore Team Caleb/Paige. Caleb continues to be the Best Boyfriend Ever.

I do not miss Fitz at all. In fact Aria has been much more interesting without him these past couple episodes.

I think the piano was a recording that Spencer had planned for the romantic dinner :wuzrobbed: I love Troian. She's just so good. She's been so tough for so long that they needed to crack her, but still, that was so hard to watch. She and her mom and all the plans for the anniversary dinner were just so cute and then to have it end that way... wow.

I love Emily-as-Spencer, even though Emily does sometimes do stupider things than I think Spencer would do. And Hanna. Goodness, I just adore Hanna so much. She's so funny.

16. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Ok, I am about a half season behind on this show now. :/ Is it on Hulu or ABC Family so I can catch up??

17. michiruwater

It's on both, yes.

18. KikiSashaFan

Just when I thought I couldn't love Hanna more, she goes to a lesbian bar :rofl:

19. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

WOW Spencer has gone crazy. And FINALLY Ezra has left Aria to have a normal life. For her, I mean. Well, as normal as it gets for those girls. I vote for Spencer's brother as her next boyfriend.

20. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

A few thoughts based on last night's episode:

1. Where has Jenna been? They claim she "transferred schools"; NO WAY can they just cut her out of the plot like that! Same goes for Noel.
    2. How did A get Aria's phone? I think it has something to do with Meredith taking it last episode.
    3. I have been convinced for some time now that Ezra is A. As we get further and further, more things cement that in my brain. I think the kid thing shocked him so much because none of his A minions told him that he had a kid, but they must have known. Or, if they didn't know, some of those A minions are in serious trouble.
    4. SPENCER, FREAKING TELL SOMEONE ABOUT TOBY!
    5. Creepy cop was with them the summer that Ali vanished? And she thought she was pregnant? And he confessed to being a murder witness--or an actual murderer? He definitely has something to do with Alison's death. But I still don't think she's dead. Not after that Carrie-like moment at the end of the Halloween special.

Bonus: I met Janel Parrish (Mona) yesterday! I was getting out of the elevator she was entering. I told her I was a huge PLL fan. She was charming and adorable in person!

21. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I have never really thought Ali was dead either. I think they buried someone elses body. Which means they didn't bother to check DNA, but what the heck, it's tv after all.

22. KikiSashaFan

In the books...
    Allison was a twin

I'm hoping they don't go that way, but who knows.

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Spencer has gone rogue! This shit is good.

I have to say, that one thing I really appreciate about this show, is that Emily is not a complete gay Mary Sue - she's a character who happens to be gay; she's not defined by her gayness. Also, for the most part, it avoids the "afterschool special" trap many teen oriented shows seem to fall into.

24. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Yeah, I agree. I knew that. I don't mind if they take that direction, but I hope they do it in a better way than the books.

25. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Oh! That's interesting!

26. Matryeshka

Spoilers are so tempting, but I'm resisting.

I've entertained the thought that Ezra is on the A-team as well, but that's probably wishful thinking on my part. It would be the only thing that would make him interesting. I'm glad they didn't do Broken Spencer for too many episodes. It would have gotten very old fast.

Loving the return of the sinister Melissa Hastings, though she should rethink the soccer mom haircut.

27. michiruwater

I've been hoping Ezra is on the A-team for at least two seasons. Like you said, it would be interesting in a way Aria/Ezra is just... not. And normally I think the two actors lack chemistry but in this episode they really, really had none at all, I thought. Am I the only one who feels this way?... I don't understand the popularity of the pairing at all. And my God, she normally dresses like a disaster, but what was with the, like, awkward shiny red alien tights she had on when she came to his apartment when his mom was there/Maggie called?

Melissa's hair is awful but I love ambiguous!Melissa so much. And I love Wrencer, though as stated before... Troian has chemistry with everyone.

Also, I love the Marins. Ashley has always been the only mom who really seems to have an inkling of what is going on. I'm curious to see where they'll go with this car accident/Wilden thing. The Marins should never be allowed around cars. And I don't know if it's his baby face or that I don't think he's the greatest actor on the show, but I just couldn't take Wilden seriously during the fight with Ashley by the car. He seemed so very not invested in it. I didn't get the sense of danger I think the show wanted us to have.

Paige is so awkward. She evens walks awkward. I kind of love that about her. And I much echo oleada - I love how much Emily's sexuality is just a part of her character, her relationship is treated exactly like the other three relationships, and she's not defined by it. Wonderful job, there, PLL.

28. michiruwater

The last few episodes have been amazing, but the most recent one was, I thought, completely awesome. Spencer on Team A is brilliant, especially considering the job she did and how awful it was. I was super tense the whole time Aria was looking for Malcolm. And while I don't expect Ezria to be broken up long, I can always hope :cheer2:

I feel awful for Hannah and Caleb though.

29. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

SPOBY!!

That is all.

30. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 Well-Known Member

UGH. I'm so annoyed that the writers backtracked and had Toby be an "insider good guy!!!" It was so much better when we thought Toby was A for real, because he actually DID have a motive!