Pretty Little Liars - Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by michiruwater, Jun 5, 2012.

1. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Starts tonight, and I'm beyond super excited! So many questions about Mona and Jenna and Lucas and all the other creepsters in Rosewood, not to mention that now we have another murder mystery on our hands!

You can watch the first 10 minutes of tonight's episode here, if you'd like. I haven't yet and don't think I will.
  2. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait! I'm not watching the pre clip, but I am going to rewatch the season 2 finale tonight before it airs.
  3. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I just got caught up on the end of S2 last weekend - didn't even know S3 was about to start! Hope I can remember to keep watching - I have to follow on hulu, so I sometimes forget until it's too late to watch an ep (there are whole bits of S2 I missed).

ps I just KNEW Jenna was lying about her surgery being successful! :D
  4. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

If ABC Family was smart, they'd do as with Switched At Birth and put up full prior seasons on Netflix/Hulu for catch-up. Given that I've watched shows like Gossip Girl and Privileged I'd probably follow PLL too, but I've yet to watch for that reason.
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I can't wait. I have wine and I'm making cookies in preparation :D
  6. KikiSashaFan

So I see they still haven't learned not to go anywhere alone at night.

I was half expecting Ali's dug up body to be in the back of Spencer's car. A's going easy on them so far.

I want to know more about so many things. Aria's parents reseparation, how Maya died, what Garret knows, where Jenna is....so many questions...
  7. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

The girls continue to frustrate me, but I thought this was a much stronger start to the season than the finale was for season 2.

Whyyy would Spencer leave her computer in the sketchy motel room...with the door wide open? I get that the car thing was a big deal, but Spencer is just so smart that I felt like that should've been out of character for her.

I thought it was really interesting that Hanna went to visit Mona. Weird, but interesting.

Toby :swoon:
  8. michiruwater

I agree that it was super out of character, at this point, for Spencer to leave her laptop just sitting there with the door wide open like that. It was frustrating and I wish the writers had come up with a different way of having the same issue occur that felt more real to the character. Even if Spencer had been that stupid, I feel like Emily has grown more and more suspicious of every thing that happens and also wouldn't have left the laptop sitting there at this point, and both of them doing that just didn't work for me. Aria and Hanna, they still tend to not always think about things like that.

It didn't really surprise me that Hanna went to visit Mona. Hanna definitely has a thing for outcasts, and her explanation made perfect sense to me. She clearly, by slipping up a few times, indicated that she still hasn't come to terms with the idea of Mona being A and seems to be in between this world where she still can't help but think of Mona as someone she loves deeply and also is trying to figure out how to reconcile that with Mona hurting her so deeply so many times. Complex character interactions like this (and Ashley Benson continuing to hit scenes and interactions like this out of the ball park) is one reason why this show was so surprising to me, and why I love it so much, and why it's a huge step above most shows for teenagers. And also why I love Hanna so much (though Spencer surpassed her as my favorite character some time last season).

The girl I watched it with last night doesn't understand why people find Toby to be so :swoon:. I can't explain it. His face isn't in any way traditionally attractive but I absolutely love him, and I love Spoby or whatever it's called.
  9. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

She didn't get Toby? But there was an extensive shirtless scene!

Although I will say that I think a lot of my love for Toby is in his character development and the way he and Spencer grew together.
  10. lmarie086

I enjoyed the extensive shirtless scene, as you put it so well, far more than the extensive makeout scene with Aria and Ezra (can they please break up-and stay that way-already?). But ITA- Toby's growth as a character goes a long way in making me find him attractive. Their relationship has been really well done for the most part, too. Also, I think the actor has improved quite a bit. His facial expressions last night were much better than they have been in the past.
  11. michiruwater

Yeah, Toby/Spencer and Hanna/Caleb have been done about a million times better than Emily/Maya (or Emily/anyone) or, especially, Ezria. The fact that Tyler Blackburn (Caleb) was promoted to series main cast this season makes me a feel a lot better about the likelihood that Hanna/Caleb will continue, but I'm a little surprised that Bianca Lawson (Maya) is still listed as main cast while Keegan Allen (Toby) is not.

PLL had a season debut of 2.93 million viewers, more than Season 1 (2.47) and less than Season 2 (3.68). Still, pretty strong numbers for the series as a whole, I'd say, though I'll admit I don't really know too much about it all.
  12. Theatregirl1122

I feel about Emily/Maya the way most of you guys feel about Ezria. I love Emily, but the whole Maya thing and then her continued mooning over Maya while losing out on other opportunities just irritated me to no end.

Hanna/Caleb :cheer: :cheer2:

I was saying to my mom during the first episode that ABCFamily must have done some sort of teen focus group and asked them what they wanted to see in the first episode and the response must have been MOOOOORE MAKEOUTS!
  13. michiruwater

Not to mention that Maya re-defined 'too old to be in High School'. The scenes between Bianca and Shay actually kind of creeped me out. Paige was a nutcase but so much more fun, and I really liked Emily with Samara so much and wish they'd made that Emily's focal relationship. I was actively cheering for them to kill Maya off, but I would have been legit sad if she'd stuck with Samara and then Samara was murdered.
  14. Theatregirl1122

I really liked Samara, too. Paige obviously needed to get her stuff together but, now that she has, I was hoping Emily would reciprocate.
  15. michiruwater

And she no longer has terrible hair.
  16. lmarie086

Ugh, that god-awful hair. No other character (atm) comes to mind for being so objectionable just because of their hair :lol: I'm with you guys, I really liked Samara and Paige has grown a lot on me as well. Maya...I thought she was snooty from day 1 and for someone as sweet as Emily, the match didn't mesh well.

Random, but didn't Bianca play a teenager in season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Also, forgot my :cheer: for Hanna/Caleb!
  17. KikiSashaFan

Yeah, back in 1997 and she wasn't even a teenager then :shuffle:
  18. michiruwater

She was a teenager in Save The Last Dance back in 1999, too :lol: I did a paper on the movie last year and giggled every time she was onscreen. She was born in 1979, so she was actually still a teenager at 17/18 in 1997, but she turned 20 in 1999. And she's 33 now...
  19. Theatregirl1122

We could send her to Broadway! All the teenagers are in their 30s there!
  20. KikiSashaFan

Troian (Spencer) is 27, but she totally doesn't look it. The girl that plays Jenna is in or nearing her 30s too and it's definitely starting to show.
  21. Theatregirl1122

Yeah, Jenna looks way old to me.
  22. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Looks like they read my mind! At least I'll be ready come season 4. :D
    https://twitter.com/RokuPlayer/status/212321738514636800
  23. KikiSashaFan

I know we're supposed to hate her, but :cheer2: Jody Sawyer returns!
  24. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm always happy to see Jody Sawyer. Even in that stupid "mmmMINT!" commercial :p
  25. michiruwater

A 'special edition' version of Center Stage is now on sale at ShopKo and I'm tempted to buy it :shuffle:

Jody Sawyer just doesn't age, either. I mean, just a little bit, but it's been 13 years since CS came out and she looks maybe 3 years older and still just :swoon: gorgeous.

I LOVE Caleb. LOVE LOVE LOVE him. He is just such an amazing boyfriend to Hanna. I can understand his evident issue with Hanna talking to cutie-pie Wren but I hope nothing really comes of that because Hanna would never cheat on Caleb.

Emily always gets the shitty storylines on this show. Is it because she's too nice to believably ever do anything terribly snarky?...
  26. Theatregirl1122

I didn't think his issue was that she talked to Ren. I thought his issue was that she had been to the hospital to see Jenna several times before, hadn't told him, and acted like it was the first time she'd be going when they did talk about it.
  27. michiruwater

You might be right about that, actually.
  28. michiruwater

Oh my gosh, did Melissa miscarry?? She must have! Well, that's... a convenient way to get rid of that plotline :shuffle:

I would totally be as pissed as Spencer though.
  29. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Did Melissa have the baby? Why is she suddenly not pregnant and the baby not mentioned?
  30. michiruwater

She said her interest in it all died 3 months ago. Isn't this 5 months later?

Edit: Yep, there it was.

Edit again: Man, Caleb continues to raise my expectations for teenage boyfriends. Why wasn't there a Caleb when I was in high school??
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  31. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

1. Ok, that wasn't at all creepy, was it? As director Norman Buckley tweeted about the message of the show, "you can never be too paranoid."

2. I don't think Melissa was ever pregnant.

3. Caleb is a great boyfriend. Hannah doesn't quite treat him the way he deserves.

4. I am still incredibly weirded out by Aria and Ezra.

5. Jenna's got a gun, doesn't she?
  32. michiruwater

I don't think Melissa was ever pregnant, either, which opens up so many new questions.

Aria and Ezra will always be creepy and weird. Unless you're a tween. Then it's soooo romaaaaantic. But Ella Montgomery is awesome. HMC always knocks her scenes out of the ballpark.
  33. lmarie086

I agree, I don't think Melissa was ever pregnant. And honestly, Spencer should be a detective someday-she's so stealthy.

Ella Montgomery is fantastic. Best mom on the series, though Ashley has grown on me.

I'm trying to ignore the existence of Aria + Ezra.

Jenna is still creepy, but it'll be interesting to see happens with her for the rest of the season. I think she has a gun, too.

Caleb continues to be too perfect. For real, where were the guys like him when I was in high school?!

No Toby :(

Has anyone seen the preview for next week's episode?
  34. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

If she wasn't ever preggo, that would be a huge plot hole. IIRC, she was pregnant when her and Spencer got into that car crash...the doctors mentioned her condition, the baby's ect. If she wasn't really pregnant wouldn't she have bee outed then?
  35. michiruwater

So far I think this has been a great episode. I feel sorry for Melissa, which I never thought would happen again, and I feel absolutely terrible for both Hanna and Caleb - though I feel like if I were Hanna, I'd be at the '**** it' stage and I would have told him about A anyway. Spencer continues to have the strongest storylines. Which is fine with me.

Aria setting up a dating profile for her mum is kind of adorably hilarious. I like Aria so much better when she has real plotlines, even fluff ones like this, and as always Ella Montgomery is awesome. Ella and Ashley should have more scenes together, by the way.

I would love it if Emily had a non-Maya plotline though. Even if Maya!Cousin is super cute :swoon: I'm glad she seems to be moving on. Bring back Paige!! :cheer2:
  36. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Every time I see Maya, I have the urge to shout at Emily, but she's a SLAYER. She can call Buffy, and then Willow can smite A's ass. And then Emily can get together with Willow and Maya and Kennedy can go be lame together.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sometimes hears Maya's lines in Kendra's bizarre Jamaican/Canadian/WTFisthat accent? *crickets. goes back to trying to catch up to season three. :slinkaway*

Seriously, Aria's mom would make a more believable teenager than Maya or Jenna.
  37. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Ok This show goes on my nerves now, I can't watch that anymore. They're dragging for too long the revelation about who A is. Everyone read the book I suppose so we know !
  38. michiruwater

What? Are you in the third season?
  39. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Pretty good episode.
    You know, from the very first I felt like Allison is still alive. It would take a lot of people in the medical field covering up and identifing another body as Allie for some reason, but, heck, this is tv, it could happen.:D
  40. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

BEST. IDEA. EVER. Looks like we have the same taste in lesbian pairings :p

I liked this episode overall, and I'm like the pacing of this season as well. The only thing that bugs me is Hanna not opening up to Caleb. I get that she's scared of new "A" but I think Caleb can be a huge asset to the girls, but only if he's kept in the loop.