Preparing for first competition in a lonnnnng time.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by AndyWarhol, May 9, 2012.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What really sucks, is they don't tell you it is only going to be 3 minutes. A novice lady got caught by surprise, the younger skaters usually repeat elements in the warm up. The ref just tells the announcer when to clear the ice. There is nothing I (the announcer) can do when he cuts it short except to talk really slowly to help the skaters out.

I think he was rushing them because by USFS rules about who can share warm up space, so many were warming up alone.

2. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Still people put in a lot of time, and often do very specific training to prepare them to skate with a 6 min warm up.

Seems a bit unfair to out of the blue force them into a 3 min....

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

:lol: You just don't get it do you.

Oh dear time as much I would love to read your posts because they are so entertaining, it really is time to put you on the ignore list. After only one day on FSU too.

4. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

What's not to get, here I am talking in a completely unrelated thread and you turn up putting words in my mouth about another topic....
    Clearly you went searching for a dig right here...

Do whatever you want...

5. Skittl1321

Completely unfair. But the ref does what he wants.

We've looked previously and 6-minute warm up in the USFS rulebook appears to only applyto qualifying competitions. The schedule will usually indicate a 5 minute warm up, but if the ref calls it to end early, then there isn't much anyone could do. I suppose a coach could lodge a complaint.

6. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Unfortunately there isn't any real way around it for smaller comps :S

You could try finding another ref? :)

7. Skittl1321

We use a different ref every competition. Some are nicer than others.

8. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

IMO, the key to competition warm up is to make sure you are completely warmed up off ice first. Then it doesn't really matter how much time the ref does or doesn't give you.

9. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

yes of course... but we were talking more specifically about the traditional 6 min on ice warm up ....

10. purple skates

YOU were talking about the traditional 6 minute warm up.

Skittl1321 was commenting on how the warm-up length can be at the mercy of the referee.

I commented, based on what Skittl1321 said, that off-ice warm ups are essential to prepare a skater, and if the skater is properly prepared then it won't matter if the referee shortens your on-ice warm up. (Which goes to what the OP was asking.)

So, the moral of the story is that I wasn't actually talking to you, and your opinion wasn't important in my framing of my comment. Quite frankly, very little of what you say is of any importance to me, after reading what you said about adult skaters in the Aussie testing thread, because I don't believe that you know (or care) anything about adult skaters, one of whom started this thread to begin with. I'm not sure why you are even in this thread.

11. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

I am only being friendly here... and anyone who really read that thread would have seen I was in no way being malicious. And I wasn't being malicious here either...

and that you wern't actually talking to me, has no impact of my right to comment... If you wanted to remove that right you can private message the user you want to talk to...

So you can calm down :)

12. purple skates

:rofl:

I'll stop, however, before we get a mod smack-down.

With warmest regards, sk8er1964.

skatemomaz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

as you know that was directed at one person only who swapped to this thread to deliberately bate me by putting words in my mouth...

I also quoted the person it was aimed at to show that it wasn't to you...

But you're right, this pointless argument you started needs to stop now. :)

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

sk8er1964 isn't the poster calling people morons, so I don't think sk8er1964 started anything.

15. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

and no one called sk8er1964 a moron either,,, and long after that argument had ceased they decided to continue an argument from another thread.....

anyway, lets stop.