Preparing for first competition in a lonnnnng time.

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by AndyWarhol, May 9, 2012.

1. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I have finally decided on a date to compete again, after more than a decade hiatus... I'm aiming on September.

Right now, I am in now way in competitive shape, but, I feel that if I don't have a competition in mind, it's not really a goal, and I wont have something to push for.

One thing I'm pretty set on is that I don't want to compete unless I can do at least a few doubles, which, are coming along, but I'm too proud to go out and do singles.

Does anyone have any advise on preparing for coming back after such a long time?

:cold:

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I can't help you with a comeback, but for me (as a new adult skater) the most important thing was competition ready practice.

Meaning, I stepped onto the ice- I did my 5 minute warm up and IMMEDIATELY did my program.

This had me much better prepared than practice for 30-45 minutes and then starting run-throughs. It is easy to lull into a false sense of preparation when I give my body a lot more time to warm up and be ready for that program.

My coach also had me skate a set of hockey line sprints, and then do the program again right afterwards (usually we couldn't get the music a second time though). If you can do it that tired- you're ready.

As for too proud to go out and do singles- what if they are really huge singles? Depending on what level you are in, you might do better with great singles than okay doubles. And I bet a lot of people in the level are "used to have doubles" types. For your first competition it wouldn't be a travesty if you have to leave them out. Now for your second...

3. AndyWarhol

i really like the idea of a 5 minute warm up then right into the program!

that is definitely something I will be doing :)

4. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Ding ding ding - we have a winner!

I used to have doubles through a loop, working on flip and lutz --- back in the early 1980's. After nine years back on the ice, I don't think I will ever get them back at a competitive level. However, under IJS, we see very few doubles at my level (US Adult Gold) any more because people aren't getting credit for them.

Of course, if you are coming back at masters junior/senior, then yes you will be at a big disadvantage with no doubles. Then it becomes a question of why you want to skate/compete (for the medals, or to challenge yourself and have fun).

As for warm-ups, the best thing I ever did for my competing was to have an excellent off-ice work-out (I do circuit training). I just wish I had found this years earlier, because it sure has made things like stamina and endurance in my competition programs a lot better!

Welcome back and enjoy!

5. AndyWarhol

Thanks!

Part of my coming back to skating has been the challenge of getting my jumps back, which is why they are important to me... i would prefer to do jumps that i get credit for though! haha.

6. purple skates

My jumps came back immediately - until I got to the axel. Sometimes my axel is perfect, other times it goes on vacation in Rio or something, it is so far gone. My doubles tease me constantly, but never want to come back for real -- so I feel your pain!

7. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

AndyWarhol - Skating isn't all about jumps, so why not get your feet wet by doing an interpretive or showcase type program while you work on getting your doubles back? Since doubles are either not allowed (interpretive) or not expected (showcase), it would give you a chance to get used to skating in front of judges and an audience without so much pressure!

8. AndyWarhol

The axel was always my worst jump.. i don't actually think it is any worse than it was 10 years ago now though haha. My jumps are making progress, when i first started training properly again, i couldn't do singles even, now they are all back, and my doubles are two footed.

My layback spin was the only thing that was decent really... which shows what happens when you just go to public sessions once a year for a decade and just do a couple of spins in the middle haha.

9. AndyWarhol

This is a good idea actually, spins and spirals etc are definitely my strength.. ill look into what are the options for the september competition :)

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I am with those that it is not all about the jumps. Judges look at skating skills first and foremost. For a first competition back after a decade, I would concentrate on a good quality performance, rather than worry about whether you are doing doubles or not.

You skate in Melbourne don't you? Would that be Crystal Challenge you are thinking about entering?

11. AndyWarhol

12. Aussie Willy

Well I might very well be judging then :)

13. purple skates

(Wonders if Aussie Willy can be bribed...just kidding :lol:)

14. Aussie Willy

Never!!!!! :)

Actually it is something I really don't joke about. You never know who is listening (or in this case reading). All it takes is that one person to overhear and then they think you are biased. You just have to read this forum to figure that out.

15. AndyWarhol

:hat1:

16. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Welcome back, and best of luck with competing!

I'll second the idea of doing a free skate program (or any other program) immediately after a 5-6 minute warm-up. I personally space mine out to a 10-minute warm-up, since I tend to need to retie my breaking down boots, and I generally have to rush to the rink right after work and can't get the same off-ice warm up done that I can do before I compete.

I also think if you can get in an exhibition before you compete if your club/rink offers that opportunity, will help. Anything to simulate the benefit of having the ice all to yourself and an audience. :)

Additionally, even if you have a coach observing your program at least weekly, get someone to video tape your performance -- often if possible. It's a great way to catch awkward moments and clean them up before you compete. Nothing worse than seeing the competition video and realizing you could have cleaned up 5 misc. moments had you seen how weak they looked. ;)

Finally, consider nutrition for the day of competition. When you were a kid... or have a big day as an adult... do you have a problem eating due to nerves? I know many people do, and the best training strategy can go down the tubes if you can't stomach food and don't compete until the afternoon / evening. I have a list of competition day food that I always buy, because I know I can get it down, keep it down, and get the energy I need to skate. I love the Chocolate Special K protein shakes as part of my competition day meal, among other things.

17. AndyWarhol

I have a coach that I see weekly to check my jump tecnique. I show her my spins, but other than polishing positions, there isn't a lot to fix.

I personally don't eat before I skate. I skate before work in the morning, so I just have breakfast after. If I were to skate in the afternoon, I would have a light breakfast, and skip lunch. It's old training habits from when I was young, but I feel sick if i eat and skate. I'm going to look into these protein shakes :)

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

wrong thread!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  19. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Can I offer a system for training your program (once you get to that) over the weeks/months leading up to competition? Pace it out however you want, this works for me really well:

1-Do program after warmed up fully, after like 40 minutes for me.
    2-Do program after 5/6minute warm up, singles only
    3-Do program after 5/6minute warm up
    4-Do program after 5/6 minute warm up and at the end of session
    5-Do program double runthrough after warmed up fully
    6-Do program double runthrough after 5/6 minute warm up, but only single jumps both times
    7-Do program double runthrough after 5/6 minute warm-up, doubles first time, singles second
    8-Do program double runthrough after 5/6 minute warm-up, singles first, doubles second
    9-Do program double runthrough after 5/6 minute warm up, doubles both times.
    10-Do program double runthrough at very end of session, last 10 minutes, when you're tired, doubles both times.

That's what I've been doing over the last month or so, getting ready for competition in June. It's in Colorado so altitude change is a problem for me, hence all the double runthroughs. As it gets close, I might start doing triple runthroughs even, I've done a triple runthrough with only singles, and with a 2:38 program, it's hard! I have 4 weeks before competition, and I'm on stage 7 this week, trying to make it a stage per week, so every time I skate during the week, I do the system for that week. Hope this helps you, I actually have a long time before this competition, so it's helping me a lot.

Good luck with getting your jumps back fully!

20. AndyWarhol

thank you! i will try that system :)

21. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

The idea is to stimulate competition day conditions correct?

In which case wouldn't you have a 6 min warm up? or is it different for adult divisions???

22. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

The problem with tiring yourself out like that is that you are preparing your body for an unrealistic task... You will never have to perform under those conditions so why practice like that.... What it will tend to do is increase the errors in your practice run through, reason being, you aren't as good when you are tired...
    However there is some benefits to the way you are approaching this...
    High level skaters tend to do their program with all required triples and quads, and then run the program immediately after the end of the first run though, however only do singles and spins. This way they get the cardiovascular benefit of a double run through, without practising poor technique on their elements because they were tired the second time through...
    Obviously this is geared at high levels so you will need to find a way to adapt the concept to you. For example, you could do your program and then immediately to a three element segment from your program...
    Remember skating isn't about conserving your energy, it's about effectively expending all your energy in a short period of time.

-------------

There is no reason to feel bad about doing singles. Many of the top level skaters do singles... and then triples... skipping the doubles all together... If the international level skaters can do the singles, so can you :)

23. Skittl1321

I trust my coach and the hockey line sprints worked very well for me to up my endurance. It is difficult to account for the effects of nervousness in a practice, and my second run through is more similar to a competition due to this. I am doing simple enough moves that it doesn't introduce poor technique but instead gets me used to skating on the shakey legs that appear in front of the judges.

24. AndyWarhol

obvious type. although, 5 minutes may be a good idea, if you can do it after 5 minutes, you can do it after 6!

I have my program music now. Time to get this program together.

25. Skittl1321

I said 5 min in my original post because around here that is what most comps give as warm ups. Some refs call them as short as 3.

26. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

3 min warm ups!

That sucks.... just enough time for some laps

27. Aussie Willy

Well if you knew anything about how Aussie Skate is run, they get 3 minute warm ups as standard.

28. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Interesting yet irrelevant fact as we are talking about adult comps here???

29. Aussie Willy

Wait a minute. You don't think adults have the right to compete do you? You know they should just be doing coffee clubs according to you.

30. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

You're a moron...

You know full well I never said that... I actually wrote more than once that I encourage their competitions, and often go to watch...

I said coffee skate sessions which are all ready in place in some rinks are an alternative place for adult skaters to train without all the hustle and bustle of the competitive figure sessions...