Prayers (or the equivalent) for my coworker with pancreatic cancer

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Anita18, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not a religious person but...this is bad. :(

My coworker in France just sent us an email. He says he's getting worse. The doctors haven't done chemo since December (not even palliative chemo) because it was giving him chronic jaundice and his liver couldn't take it anymore. The pain and malaise has worsened from last week, even on extremely strong painkillers. He sent my boss an email last week and said he couldn't lie down anymore, the pain is so bad. He has to sleep sitting up. We have no idea how he looks, we haven't Skyped with him in months. Back then he was still looking pretty good, albeit very thin. But pancreatic cancer goes fast. :(

He thanked us all for our love and support, and wished that he could experience the warm SoCal sun one last time. So I did some quick research and bought him this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rio-Energy-Light-Therapy-Lamp/dp/B001PIJF48/ Since it's from Amazon.co.uk, I don't believe they have to pay customs on it when they receive it. It's the only thing I could think to do. :(

I'm getting married in under three weeks. I hope he can make it - he could see us all together (everybody at work is coming!) and he could be there via Skype, but I don't know how he is. :( If anything, I hope he isn't in too much pain right now, although I can't do anything about that. It all just sucks. He's only 31.

2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

My, that is beyond sad. I will keep your coworker in my thoughts & prayers. I hope he is able to @ least watch your wedding via Skype.

3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Anita18. I'll pray for him.

4. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

So sorry for your co-worker, Anita. Sending positive thoughts.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Anita18. Pancreatic cancer is so awful. I'm sure it would mean a lot to you and him if he could make it to your wedding. Congratulations on that.

6. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Anita, I will keep him in my prayers.

7. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

So sorry to hear this. He is in my prayers and so is his family, friends and all his co-workers.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Pancreatic cancer is terrible.
    My thoughts and prayers are with him; and with you,

9. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Pancreatic cancer used to be "you have 6 weeks get your affairs together". A lot can be done now so I do hope your friend has some options left. It is so terrible because by the time it is diagnosed it has become pretty severe.

10. Anita18

He's already beaten the odds. Most people don't last 6 months, but he's young and the doctors hit him with their hardest chemo drugs, and it's been almost a year since his diagnosis. (If he makes it to May, it will be over a year.) When they could finally see it, and doctors did spend months trying to see it in scans, it was already stage 4 and spread to his liver.

When they stopped the chemo, he said he was pissed he was going to die of cancer, but was still looking for clinical trials and other options. But my boss thinks his email last night was his goodbye. :( He's been very adamant that he wants to fight, but it sounds like his body really can't take it anymore, and it seems that the doctors have told him to say his goodbyes before they pump him up with morphine and he's no longer able to communicate. :(

My SAD therapy light has been "dispatched" from the Amazon warehouse today, so hopefully he'll get it tomorrow.

Thank you for your kind words. It does bring me comfort that he will take this next journey on a sea of love. :)

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I remember your original thread when they were trying to diagnose his illness, Anita.

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way, Anita. I remember you posting about him before, and how much he means to you.

13. Anita18

Yeah, it's just so hard. You don't want to do anything drastic like a Whipple procedure when they haven't 100% confirmed it's cancer, but in hindsight, he probably should have gotten one when the possibility was brought up. There are no easy answers. I think the doctors did the best they could - they really did look specifically for tumors for the last few weeks he was here, and when you're looking for something, you usually find them. Nothing showed up on the scans until he was back home in France.

There are a lot of non-pain symptoms that he had much earlier that are associated with pancreatic cancer, but you can't just spring a "pancreatic cancer!" diagnosis or start to run the associated tests on every 30-year-old who's experiencing unusual depression. This was definitely shit luck. :( The only thing I can get mad about is that the hospital sent him home when he came in for a test with fever and jaundice. But even then, nothing showed up on the scans later...Pancreatic cancer can go eff itself. :(

Yeah. :( He came into work the Monday after I got engaged, despite being in a lot of pain (visibly so), just so he could see my engagement ring. He wanted to be happy for me. I hope he makes it. :(

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  14. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

He is in my thoughts and prayers today.

15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:( So sorry about your friend, Anita. Sending my thoughts his and your way.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

deleted. Double post.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am so sorry to hear your coworker is suffering so much. I am sending him some positive thoughts. I hope he feels better.

Some years ago I had read about a certain kind of tea (Essiac) that 'cures' pancreatic and other cancers.

http://www.healthfreedom.info/Cancer Essiac.htm

May be it could help your coworker? It sounds like he has nothing to lose, so why not try this?

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

So sorry, Anita....(((((hugs))))

19. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

So very sorry Anita. :( It really is unfair. My thoughts go out to him and hope he can be made as comfortable as possible.

20. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, I also remember those original posts, and think he is saying goodbye. :(

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

21. Anita18

He sent another email this morning and says he received the lamp and that it's "pretty cool." :) I'm really glad he got it - I wracked my brain for about 20 minutes trying to make sure I had formatted the shipping address correctly. :p

He went to the hospital on Tuesday and they removed 6.5 lbs of ascites fluid, which gave him a lot of relief. A while ago, I was reading a blog of a young mother (33) who eventually died of breast cancer, and getting that fluid removed was a huge part of her pain management. But it gets replaced so fast, and you have to be in a hospital to do it, and then you're in no shape to go to the hospital anymore and :(

Normally I'm hesitant in offering an unproven cancer treatment to someone suffering from cancer (especially since we're both...cancer scientists...:shuffle: ), but you're right, there's nothing to lose. He says his former neighbor from the US is really fighting hard for him. The neighbor is also French and in the medical field, and has been pushing his case to every doctor he knows there, to get it mentioned in staff meetings so maybe there will be one clinical trial that could help. I'm glad he hasn't given up yet.

MINAM and (deleted member) like this.