Potential new partners for Rockne

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

wow - that's gotta be a record for least amount of time spent together before a competition, no?

2. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

Delurking to say that I'll try to make it as well and report back.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

:lol: Seriously. Are they required to be monitored at a summer competition or something? I didn't think so. What would be the rush? It's only been like two weeks, and going all the way up to Oakland for this doesn't seem to make much sense. I figure they won't actually be at this, but you never know.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

The only reason I can think of is that Marley/Brubaker may want to be considered for an international competition this fall. :)

5. stjeaskategym

Yeah, and you have to compete at least 35 days before an assigned international (or at least that's what the skaters in the International Selection Pool have to do). Maybe that's what the rush is. I'm just surprised they would have programs so fast.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Perhaps he and Keauna already had a program planned, half-planned before she left the sport and MBM is stepping into it? Or maybe they are reverting to an older program of his and Keauna's? I dunno. Just throwing stuff out there.

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Well, they needed a long program for the test(s) anyway. But preparing a short program as well means that much more work in a short amount of time.

8. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

So I made it to the rink tonight to watch pairs practice @ Skate St. Moritz. I'm really impressed with how well Marley/Brubaker are skating after just two weeks together (confirmed this with their moms). Of course, I've never skated pairs myself and never saw a bunch of pairs skaters on a regular basis while I was skating, so I don't know too much about pairs.

Their lifts look really good, at least I'm not cringing while I watch them just waiting for an inevitable fall like I do with other pairs I've seen live. And the air position I thought looked good. But I'll say it many times, I haven't seen a lot of pairs live, usually intermediate, so a press lift is impressive to me, let alone one handed, lasso lifts, stuff like that I saw tonight.

They tried SBS 3toe, I don't remember seeing them actually land them though. Their SBS double axel double toe looked awesome, though I didn't see them land it while doing their program.

The death spirals (forward and backward inside) look good for two weeks, but I still sense some hesitation, needs some polish I think.

Pair spin looks good, SBS spins were sometimes in sync, once in their program though I thought they were very well in sync, probably better than some lower level pairs I've seen who have been skating longer.

Footwork was a little rusty the first time, but smoother the second time (SP footwork anyway)

Saw them trying throw 2 loop and 2 lutz (I think, I was only watching the takeoff edge once, and I kept expecting a twist lift, I guess it was at a weird angle from where I was sitting), the landings are kinda inconsistent, she stays on her feet most of the time but seems to pitch forward on the landing and then two foots it. It's almost like she's getting used to the extra height and isn't quite sure how to handle the landing yet (Reminds me of how it felt when my coach had me bend my knee on my salchow and the jump went higher, but I was all over the place on the landing)

The double twist (did not watch the takeoff, sorry!) looked good, good height, seemed secure, although she did grab onto him on the landing, but it really looked like he caught her and had control of her as she came down rather than just dropping her or her crashing into him. Of course I don't see a lot of live pairs, highest level I've seen is junior, but that was probably the best double twist I've seen live.

SP music is Zorba the Greek, LP music is Adams Family. And now my friend and I want to skate to both!

Oh, and her solo double axel looked awesome when she warmed it up, very smooth landing, I wasn't holding my breath wondering if she'd land it.

SP I think has a throw 2 lutz, SBS 3 toe (but never saw them both land it), backward inside death spiral, straight line footwork, can't remember details of SBS or pair spins but they were there... am I forgetting an element or two? Oh yeah, a lift of course, I think they'd get a level for that dismount, and a double twist that looked good.

LP, I don't think I saw a full runthrough of it, but did see the double axel double toe attempted, throw 2 loop, and forward inside death spiral, among other elements.

And I'm not responsible for any inaccuracies, I did not take notes so this is 100% from memory, which is hazy considering how late it is and how early I got up.

Overall, I get the impression that this team is going to be good, I think they just need some time to get their timing down, triple twist, triple throws, all that good stuff. I'm impressed by what they've managed in two weeks. Of course, I don't know crap about pairs anyway...

Also saw Mr. Nicks there working with them.

SP is tomorrow afternoon, but I won't be posting until I get home tomorrow night. LP is Sunday afternoon, but I probably won't post again until I get home at night.

So I'll leave it at that for everyone to draw their own conclusions from :watch:

maggylyn, genevieve, alilou and 3 others like this.
  9. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Thank you JadeDixon for your report. Hopefully it is going to work for them.

10. olympic

Thank you, JadeDixon :)

11. Iluvid

Iluvid New Member

Thanks for the report Jade! Throws are so different than singles jumps, the extra height does make it scary. I have only done singles and can't wait to do doubles.

12. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

Short program was this afternoon, and it looked a lot better in competition than it did in practice yesterday.

Double twist was great, and I think it's a lutz or flip takeoff, but I wasn't watching close enough.

SBS 3 toe they both went for it and stayed upright, though one of them stepped out, can't remember which.

Throw 2 lutz was landed although a bit pitched forward on the landing, can't remember if she stepped out in competition or just the warm up.

SBS spins were good until the first or second position change, they seemed to be trying to get them back in sync but it just never happened.

Lift may have been slower in competition than practice last night, but I believe they have a one handed dismount, so if the protocols get posted online (Skate SF did it, I dunno if St. Moritz will) then maybe I can test my theory that it could be called as high as a level 2 or 3.

Footwork, death spiral (pretty sure that was backward inside) and pair spin all seemed a bit slow/rusty, I bet time will improve those.

Overall though, I think it was a great showing for only two weeks together and I'm pretty excited to see how they do at sectionals. If they can do this after 2 weeks, I'm really interested to see how they do in 2 months. There's plenty of room to improve, but everything seems to have a good start and they did stay on their feet for the whole program.

According to the schedule there was supposed to be pairs practice ice tonight, but my ride was in a hurry to leave after novice ladies short, and I hadn't spotted Rockne or Mary in the evening, so I decided not to offer to buy my ride dinner to stay longer.

Tomorrow is the free skate, will try to report back in the evening. Assuming I even wake up in time to get to the rink!

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Wow, very detailed reports!! Thanks JadeDixon! :cheer2:

14. stjeaskategym

Thanks JadeDixon for taking the time to write all of that up

15. olympic

JadeDixon,

Thanks. And I look fwd. to your LP report

16. tangerine_dream

tangerine_dream New Member

I like how you assume that she has a choice. You clearly aren't familiar with Chinese families. ;)

Caroline's attitude isn't suited to having a partner. Poor guy would have to be put on suicide watch everynight. She already abuses her coaches, and everyone in SoCal knows about it. Let's not let her abuse a partner, too.

Glad he found a partner. :D

17. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Thank you, JadeDixon, for your report! It's good to hear something about them. Can't wait to hear more!

18. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

Last but not least, quick LP report before I rush off to dinner:

Warmup looked good, think they nailed the double axel/double toe combo among other things.

For the program, double twist was good, more time needed for her to learn how to not grab onto him on the landing so they can get the greater difficulty, but he seemed to catch her rather than having her crash and they seemed to have pretty good height. Of course I saw this from a funky angle because it was right in front of the judges.

SBS 3 toe landed, throw 2 lutz seemed tilted in the air and stepped out on the landing, I'm impressed she stayed on her feet at all. SBS 2 axel/2 toe pretty good but he stepped out on 2 toe.

SBS spins didn't seem to stay in sync until the very end of the combo.

Footwork sequence was pretty good, forward inside death spiral was good once they got going, but I've got a pet peeve about having the butt stick out on the entry, though not as bad as some other pairs I've seen, and at least her skating knee was straight. They seemed to hold it for a while as well.

3 lifts, at least 2 of them looked like they had difficult dismounts to get an extra level for COP, one of them was a very nice transition into a sort of dance lift with a few changes in position (of course, I guess I mean by dance lift that his hands weren't over his head) And compared to the novice pair that skated after them, I was not holding my breath expecting him to lose his footing on the lift. Also had good speed, smooth on the turns, lots of ice coverage (at least in my know almost nothing about pairs humble opinion)

Pair spin had I think 3 changes of position, racking up the points. I think more speed will come with more practice.

Oh, forgot about the throw 2 sal. I thought I'd seen a 2 loop in practice, but maybe I was wrong. I think it was a 2 sal in competition, though maybe a 3? Tough to tell at that angle with all the hockey glass in the way. Hopefully a 3 by sectionals or nationals, I think they've got enough height to pull off throws 3 lutz and salchow and/or loop, it's just a matter of practice. She did nail the final throw, and I think it was late enough to get the bonus points.

Like I told Rockne on his way out, and Mary's mom while I was chatting with her after, I'm really impressed with what they've managed in 2 weeks and I'm excited to see what they do with a few more months before sectionals and nationals. Also, Mary's mom said she passed her first 4 pairs tests w/ a coach before they left Chicago, then her last two tests with Rockne, and spent the last week working on their short and long programs.

So that's my impression of what I saw. Of course, I've never seen a pairs team this good live before, so maybe I'm easily impressed.

Going OT: There were a few other up and coming singles skaters at this competition as well, so pm me if there are other threads discussing novice/junior level singles and I'll check them out and see if there's any observations I can recall for them as well.

19. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the reports Jade. Much appreciated.

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm so impressed with their accomplishments thus far! Thanks for the reports. :D

21. JadeDixon

JadeDixon New Member

Hey everyone,

Before I go back into lurker mode, you're all very welcome for the reports. I'm just glad that I was in the right place at the right time. And it helps me to not feel so bad for having planned my vacation during Skate San Francisco two weeks ago and missing seeing Mr. Nicks there, because I got to see him in Oakland this weekend.

I do the best I can to watch as much as I can of Skate St. Moritz every year (when I'm not in class or volunteering) and some of the other competitions in the Bay Area as well, so if there are any other skaters coming to compete that you'd like reports on, drop me a pm just in case I didn't catch the post asking for reports and I'll see if I can make it.

Time to re-enter lurker mode...

22. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

JadeDixon basically said it all, but I saw their SP too and thought I'd lend some comments (I planned to see the competition totally unaware they'd be competing, so what a surprise! Too bad I didn't get to see mini-Ponomarenko.)

I know that pairs is super duper challenging, even if you're amazing singles skaters, so let's get that out of the way first. And I know they've only been training two weeks. So these are just observations: Visually, they do come across as a grown burly man throwing around a little girl. Part of it was that he was in all black and she in powder blue for Zorba the Greek, which had no choreography whatsoever (I know, they're still developing the program and it was just a run-through.). They definitely had that pairs thing going on where they were amazingly fast stroking around for warm-up, then slowed down once the program started. It was a very careful effort. The Throw 2Lz scratched almost to a halt and was way off axis and kinda scary, but she landed it! Then they suddenly both did amazing sbs 3toes! They did both land them, but she just kinda had a jerky landing where her leg was thrown back. Her arch is great for the death spiral, and I thought the pairs spin was fine.

I'm happy he's found a partner and is giving a go, but it was slightly awkward visually. That, and there were a few autographed items of McBru hanging around, AND I did have the thought that he went from 2x National Champion with PCS in the high 7s to PCS in the high 4s and low 5s.

But they're building! Sights set on the long term!

That, and John Nicks was incredibly tan, tiny, and the cutest thing ever.

Ugh, sorry I can't type a coherent sentence.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Thanks for the reports!

24. olympic

JadeDixon and Quintuple, Thanks! and I'm completely enthused by your reports. The fact that they are staying off their a$$e$ is great

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

So can we say this pair is official yet? And move the discussion out of a thread for potential partners for Rockne?

26. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

I vote yes.

Thanks so much JadeDixon and Quintuple! Do either of you have the scores for Marley/Brubaker's SP and FS? The official results aren't published online yet.

MacMadame has also posted a few impressions of MBMB's SP in the 2010 Skate St. Moritz thread in Kiss and Cry for those who have subscriber or season pass access: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=75003
    (I've cross-posted the Skate St. Moritz reports on MBMB there.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

All righty then. Closing since Rockne has found a partner :cheer2:

Many thanks to JadeDixon and Quintuple for reports!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.