Potential new partners for Rockne

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"She totally refused" is inaccurate. I know that Taylor was considering trying pairs at one point.

I'm not sure who you mean by "we" in your post, but the simple truth is that some pairs do break up when an opportunity to skate with someone "better" comes along. If pair partners do not have trust and belief in each other, then all the encouragement in the world is not going to make them stay together, let alone have long-term success as a team.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that Taylor and Felicia really enjoy their partnership... Unless Taylor was a problem and the team was on the rocks, I think it would be kind of mean to leave him now in hopes of the grass being greener. I think there would be several reasons why they may want to stay together, one being that they both live in the same area, so training together is quite convenient. And Felicia is apparently also very much into singles skating, so her training location allows her to adequately do both while balancing it around her school schedule. I'm figuring Rockne's going to want someone who's fully committed to pairs anyway. Balancing pairs and singles can work out fine for a while, but if you really want to take the next step, it seems better to focus on one or the other.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't remember Blake doing pairs. I thought she did dance. Maybe she did both?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

So am I. I was speaking generally in the post you quoted above. :)

Blake started pairs last season (with Mac Kern) and they placed 5th in Junior at Eastern Sectionals.

5. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yes, she did both (pairs more recently with Mac Kern).

6. stjeaskategym

Oh, I know. I probably shouldn't have replied to your quote... I knew you were speaking generally. :)

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Rockne and Maria :swoon: They would actually make me interested in pairs skating!!

8. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Butyrskaya? :confused::p

9. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

:rofl: Mukhortova ;)

10. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:rofl: Great idea!!!

11. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Thank you both :)

12. haribobo

Ohhh, Moody Maria. OK. :) She's never the first Maria I think of. I suppose that makes more sense than Bute. Poor Blanchard- he just got her and everyone is already trying to pawn her off to someone else. :eek:

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Has anyone mentioned Kyoko Ina, assuming she still eligible? She traded up from what his name to John Z, so why not go up to an even better pair skater and equal in the looks department with Rockne ?

14. mkats

mkats New Member

Aww, that's too bad that she never did. I loved Katy's skating and was :fragile: about the way her career ended.

15. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

No!!!!! Eric Radford has finally found a partner that is his technical equal. You leave them alone! Don't even mention her name!

:)

Well, OK, I know you weren't serious, and I agree with you about both having a very energetic style. That's one of the reasons I enjoy watching Rockne. I don't have any suggestions for a new partner for him, however.

16. chipso1

Isn't she a little...errr...old...at this point? She'll be 38 this October. :shuffle:

17. haribobo

Yes, Kyoko Ina! If not her, maybe Jamie Sale, Shelby Lyons, or Irina Rodnina! :lol:

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ludmila Protopopov. :glamor:

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. aymkjb88

aymkjb88 New Member

Amanda Dobbs!!! She's young, she's fit, she can certainly jump, she's doing both single skating and pair skating and she's based in SoCal! She'll be a great partner for Rockne!

20. chipso1

No breaking up Dobbs and Jacobsen!:lynch:

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Also, Dobbs' listed height is 5'4".

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

And she's even taller than that now, about 5'5" or a bit more, she was taller than Mao in pictures from 4CC small medal ceremony, and Mao towers over other skaters listed as 5'4", Amanda is quite tall for a pairs skaters, too tall for Rockne and plus seems to be doing well with Joseph.

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yeah but her jumps are a complete mess, and plus she's starting Harvard this fall anyway.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

There's no need to judge Blake Rosenthal's jumps by 2010 Nationals alone -- they weren't "a complete mess" when she won Eastern Sectionals last November.

25. stjeaskategym

Blake Rosenthal can jump decently (2A and 3S), but let's be honest, I just don't think she's a good pair skater (I realize she has very limited pair experience, but still). Her split double twist at Sectionals last year was absolutely tragic. You could blame her partner for that somewhat, but it's definitely her too. She's weak on the other pair elements as well... Her death spiral is particularly poor, and she was doing very basic lifts. Aside from that, she doesn't really know how to present well at all. She and her partner skated to Nessun Dorma last year, and it was just cold. Sorry if I'm picking this poor girl apart (her solo jumps do seem fine), but realistically, she's not going to be a high level pair skater anytime soon. It's not all about the jumps, that's for sure. Having to partner someone and complementing that person well is a completely different animal. (And as you mentioned, she's going to Harvard anyway.) But in general, you could see why it would be so hard for a singles skater to make a smooth transition to pairs.

:rofl: How about Tamara Moskvina? ... She's still short. :lol:

You are not the only one who has mentioned this, and no offense, but how could people look at Dobbs and think she could skate with Rockne? She's practically his height! Even on TV she comes across as very tall for a pair skater.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  26. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

You probably don't realize it but Blake was an amazing dancer. She was sent to the JGP in both singles and dance, which is incredibly rare the only other US skater I can remember is Charlie White. I see you don't like her skating, but she really did have the partnering skills and good singles skills as well.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

However, stjeaskategym does raise the good point (that's worth repeating) that being a good singles skater (and jumper) does not automatically transfer over to being a good pair skater ... just as pairs and dance -- both in partnering and skills -- are very different disciplines.

28. stjeaskategym

Exactly... I'm not judging her ability as a dancer... I don't think I've ever seen her dance before, and if I have, I certainly don't remember it. I'm just commenting about her pair skating.

29. icedge

icedge New Member

He needs someone small with good jumping capabilities and talent for pairs as well. His best bet is finding a singles skater who'd like to try pairs.

There aren't many pair girls up to Rock's standards. Sorry to them :/

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Why do I have images of Betty White's mancake calendar running through my head as I read this....:shuffle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.