Potential new partners for Rockne

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She's looked miserable while skating this entire season, as far as I can tell. No expression and she just plods along the ice, and is all frustrated in the Kiss N Cry, and doesn't seem to have the right attitude at this point. But I could be wrong, she may just be a drama queen and actually still love to skate.

And Caroline's tiny

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championship kgkZlfDWUdOl.jpg
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4350372325_82fb547ca4.jpg
    http://29.media.tumblr.com/oAHKGjfZPoiylk1383EyMRcvo1_500.jpg

Mao at 5'4" towers over her, Caroline's about the same height as Akiko and Joannie, who are both 5'2"-5'3". If she's really 5'4", then Mao must be like 5'6"-5'7", which I find unlikely...

2. pinky166

Oh and idk if she has any interest in pairs but Kiri Baga could be a good partner. She is fast, flexible, and only 5'1". She has a very good 3t as well, and appears to have good upper body strength needed for pairs. I could see her potentially doing both pairs and singles, and where she seems to be having some trouble getting the more difficult triples, it might not be a bad idea.

3. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

IMO, Kiri is much, much too young for Rockne.

Also, how does she have problems getting the more difficult triples? Last season was her first season trying both the 3F and 3Lz, and she landed some beautiful flips and had good Lutz attempts. Give the girl a chance to grow!

Back on topic, what about Tori Vollmer (Novice 2nd in 2010 with Zack Sidhu)? Her height is listed as 5'3", but she's very slender. She's not at Rockne's level of technical content yet, but with a year of work could definitely be right up there. Plus, she already has a lot of pairs experience.

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I vote for Rena Inoue.

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Oooh. Not bad. I like that suggestion. Obviously, not at Rockne's level, but she does have pairs experience. And she'll be 16 soon, but she doesn't look all that young unlike some of the other suggestions here.

6. pinky166

Doesn't Lindsay Davis do pairs? She's small.

Oh and I don't know the technicalities of switching country of representation but I've heard both Polina Agafonova and Anna Ovcharova of Russia had interest in pairs, they're both 14 so obviously really young, but maybe in a few years, and they are both little and Anna is very expressive!

7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

You know who'd really do him justice in terms of energy and charisma? Meagan Duhamel

8. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree about giving her a chance to grow. She's still very young and has already had success as a Junior internationally, winning both her GP's last season. She needs more time, but I think she could have a real future in singles. Splitting your time between pairs and singles just makes it hard to ever get really good in either discipline. Not every shorter girl wants to be a pair skater... Short works for singles skating too. And given her young age, there's no guarantee she's staying that short.

If Tori hasn't outgrown Rockne yet, I think she will soon. 5'3" is really pushing it for a pair guy on the shorter side, especially since she definitely doesn't look like she's filled out. She's still only 15. And as you mentioned, she doesn't have the technical content... She did a very average split double twist last year, throw doubles... Maybe she could develop further, but I think she would need a bigger partner. Zack Sidhu is listed as 6'0", and while he of course doesn't have the strength of a Sr level pair guy and seems on the thin side, I'm not sure Tori could have done that novice program with a shorter partner.

She's skating with Themistocles Leftheris apparently.

Perhaps you are right, and she would be the right size, but they are SO different. She is rather "truck driver", and he is the opposite with good body line and posture. They wouldn't mesh well. Her lack of a triple twist also holds her back. It will be interesting to see how she and her new partner do.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

But Drew isn't a strong jumper, is he?

10. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong someone....but how high/far her previous partner threw her has little bearing on what she could accomplish with someone like Rockne. All I care about is what jumps she can do on her own. Obviously a 2ax and some triple would be good.....

11. stjeaskategym

I know, I just don't think she has great technique on the twist that would make it easy to turn into a triple. I don't know if she has her 2A yet. They did 2F and 2Lz in Novice last season, but it's possible she may have more than that.

She lists herself at 5'4" on icepartnersearch so this is all a moot point anyway.

12. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

They're both great pairs skaters, but it might not be that great a match, even in theory.

Does Rena have a reliable 3S? She did land one in 1994 nationals. She fell on it a 1997 nationals. The 3T and 2A and the 3Lz were her best & most reliable jumps.

And it's not clear how much of I&B's problems with the triple twist are due to her rather than to him. She and her previous partner Tomoaki Koyama only did the double twist. They might not have that great a twist as a result.

Plus she does the throw triple axel and he doesn't, and he can do the throw flip/lutz and she doesn't.

OTOH, then she'd be going to the 2014 Olympics with her third different partner, and has gone to Olympics once as a singles skater so that'd be quite a record.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes to that! :swoon:

14. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Another comeback for Tiffany Steigler? :glamor:

15. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

lol, I was thinking 'let's hope Rockne will find his next partner in the same condition that Craig found Meagan'. He searched, searched, tried, .. and found her. :)

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Rena doesn't do the throw 3A on her own, and Rockne doesn't do the throw flip/lutz on his own. Those are moves they can learn together if they come together as a pair.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

McLaughlin/Brubaker never attempted throw 3F or 3Lz in competition, did they? I recall them doing throw 3S and 3Lo (with great distance and flow out when successfully completed).

I remember Inoue/Baldwin trying sbs 3Lz at their first Nationals in 2001.

18. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I was kidding actually, but it is an interesting breakdown you've written!

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

He's got his triples but is inconsistent. Anyway, both guys seem to have a similar problem--smallish for pairs (Drew is taller than Rockne but very slightly built rather than truck driver-esque), lovely lines, kind of dreamy looking. . .

manleywoman, I thought Rena would be good for Drew. She might help his inconsistency on jumping because she's so dependable. Then again that didn't work for John "triple toe? what's that?" Baldwin. . .

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Has Anais Morand found another partner yet? I know that's a stretch with her being from Switzerland..

21. pinky166

I wonder if Ashley Cain would ever switch to skate with Rockne, she's 16 and just won the novice title with Joshua Reagan, she has a lot of nice qualities and where Rockne has a lot of experience and good results, the partnership could work. She looks kinda tall though, but very thin.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Ashley Cain's listed height in her USFS bio is 5'4" and she will turn 15 later this month.

23. pinky166

Oh ok, so she's very young, and tall for pairs already, and likely to grow another inch or two before she stops. Nevermind then. I really like her skating though, she is so elegant on the ice :)

24. stjeaskategym

She's thin, but prepubescent at 14 yrs old. 5'4" is just too tall. If she ends up not being able to handle the higher level pair elements, she can concentrate on singles since she has done pretty well there too.... I think she was 2nd in novice last season.

25. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Don't forget that everytime John does land a triple, Rena has problems(possibly in surprise).

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She has found a partner straight away, never had to search IIRC. She's skating with Ilja Glebov.

She's just so shocked, her focus goes totally out of the window. :D

27. pinky166

I wonder, would Felicia Zhang ever leave Taylor for Rockne? I found her very impressive this past nationals and she has solid jumps from her singles experience. She's also only 5' and thin so she would be the perfect size for someone smaller like Rockne. She is very promising and pairing up with someone like Rockne could help jumpstart her pairs career...

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I like Felicia and Taylor as a team. They've done well together for the short time they've been partnered, I would hate to see them break up.

29. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I remember last year, a poster reported that skaters had asked Katy Taylor to skate pairs. She totally refused.

30. hippychick

hippychick Member

I really hope that when Rockne goes partner searching it is not at the detriment of some other established pair team. We need to be supporting teams and encouraging them to stay together, not encouraging them the break up because someone "better" comes along. Rockne is extremely talented and I am sure he will have no problem finding another partner, however he is not the only talented pair guy out there, there are several other very talented pair guys out there and Taylor is one of them. I actually think that this season is going to be very exciting without Keauna and Rockne (as much as I will miss them). It will be very interesting to see which teams rise to the top.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Bogie and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.