Post-Worlds Retirements

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep. :p

2. millipied

millipied New Member

There are reports that not all is well in Bazarova/Larionov camp. While retirement is not expected, there are some concerns about team's future.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

What have you heard? It would be sad if they split after such a breakthrough season, especially given all they waited after Larionov's positive drug test.

4. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Ah, OK. I never was easily pleased though, so no wonder I like "weird."

5. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

She ALWAYS has the same look on her face no matter what kind of dance they are skating to.
    Even when they won it did not change.
    So, yes I do think she looks bored & fed up. But to be fair she is not the only one.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  6. a56

a56 New Member

Amen to this. No change of expression of her face. :lol: I can't imagine how tiring and tedious training is for her and everyone else, day after day.

7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't know, I thought she teared up after the placements came up. She didn't look bored to me, just happy.

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Re Meryl's expression. You people just see what you want to see. Meryl and Charlie were both thrilled and happy with their win. Words like tedious, bored, and fed up are far from the truth.

But regardless of the negative comments which will always be here no matter what, they made ice dance history and did US figure skating proud. Nothing can take that away from them and I hope they continue to represent US ice dance so very well for a long time to come.

9. Loves_Shizuka

Personally, I thought Meryl looked very resigned after the FD. I got the feeling she was thinking something like "we've skated our best, couldn't have done more, and will probably come 2nd, AGAIN." I almost think she looked a bit upset. When they won, you could see how pleased and surprised she was.

I really like Meryl. There's something very likeable about her IMO. She has an almost exotic quality to her.

10. Bronxfan

Bronxfan Active Member

Oh - I think that she is so lovely. I know that she struggles with the single jumps, but he just looks so :yikes: compared to her. I know that she waited for his drug suspension to be over, but maybe she does need a new partner.

11. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

weren't they dating as well? Probably they broke up and that's why "not all is well" now.

12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Somebody said maybe Smirnov would skate with Bazarova, but I think this was just a wish of theirs not based on reality at all. I don't know why people are so quick to 'retire' Kavaguti though. She changed her citizenship to skate for Russia so you would think she would stay in competing for as long as she can.

13. mia joy

mia joy New Member

I thought she just looked tired and I can't blame her after that crazy difficult, packed with elements and fast FD. But to say she always has the same look on her face or that she looks fed up like Yu-na (who I totally agree looked bored to death) is just plain riddiculous. I mean do you people really think she had the same look on her face during SD and FD?

I wish people would stop bitching around about them. They're a top class dance team and even if you don't like their style or the fact they now are World Champions, they still deserve some respect. Especially that their gold was probably the most deserved world championship in ice dance since D/S in 2008 (but some would probably argue about that too, claiming gold should have gone to V/M back then).

To me she's just incredible, I mean her looks is so original, she looks like some kind of nymph from another universe in her skationg dresses, make-up and hair-do. And she looks like a lovely person, I have no idea what's not to like about her.

14. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I never said I did not like Meryl Davis, far from it. But I (Just my opinion) thinks that she could work on having a different look on her face for each dance. I agree that she is very unique (in a good way) & love her fashion sense on the ice. After all skating is a very visual sport so it's only natural that we look at her face when she is skating.
    I personally find that she looks bored. I'm not a hater of anyone & truly love each skater for being different.
    As for deserving the gold, I liked V/M more, does that make me a hater?. NO !
    Two of my fave female ice dancers of all time are Tanith Belbin & Barbara Fusar-Poli because they pulled you into the dance & made you feel like they were living the dance. Some found Barbara over the top but you could never say she was not passionate about what she did.
    I just think Meryl could sell the dance even more if she did this.

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

One thing that Meryl could use is a voice coach. More and more, she has become the spokesman for the team. That high-pitched little-girl voice has to go.

Don't get me wrong---I love Meryl and Charlie, and I think her facial expressions are fine. It's the voice that is grating on my nerves.

16. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Meryl seems very reserved, not willing to show much outward emotion. So she may be very excited and thrilled inside, but she doesn't seem to show much of that on her face. I was surprised when she teared up after they found out they won because I'm not used to seeing her show real emotion like that.

17. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Ugh, I hope they don't break up. They're my fave team. :(

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Didn't we already go though this rumor last summer? :rofl:

I like B/L, I hope they can work through whatever the problem may be.

19. babyskate

babyskate New Member

What beautiful babies that would be.

20. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

It'll probably turn into an every off-season thing. Like the 'Slutskaya is pregnant' rumors. :lol:

21. ~tapdancer~

Well, wth is she supposed to do about her voice? It is what it is. That's not an affectation, it's just the way she talks. People can't help how their larynx's work.

I work with an excellent doctor who is a tall, imposing man. But when he opens his mouth, out comes this soft, high-pitched voice that is so jarring because you don't expect that to come out of him. Certainly there is such a thing as voice coaches but I really don't think you can change it that much. About the only thing I could see her doing is try not to go up in pitch at the end of her sentences but that's hard to do when you have a certain way of talking that you've done probably most of your life.

I know I'm an uber fan but I did meet her in person and she's a lovely, gracious young woman.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Maybe I'm the only one, but I actually like Meryl's voice? I think it adds to her very sweet image, and it just suits her.

23. ~tapdancer~

I think it suits her, too, actually. She is a Disney princess after all. :)

24. Masterbus

Masterbus New Member

I don't get why people are getting down on Meryl for being emotionless. From the screencaps I saw girl is looking pretty fierce. Now, Charlie on the other hand needs to get his shit together, love the kid but sometimes I feel like he thinks he's dancing with a doll and not a real girl.

25. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that Meryl is a wonderful person.

But it IS possible for her and the doctor you mentioned to improve their speaking voices, and it is possible for the improvement to be drastic. It takes only the desire to improve and the willingness to practice exercises given by a vocal coach-therapist.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I have a feeling that Meryl has other priorities in her life right now. ;)

ETA:
    Hersh mentioned this in his blog article on the Worlds Ladies FS.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  27. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sorry, all I meant by my ;) was that I am assuming Meryl's off season plans most likely don't include improving her speaking voice, that's all.

29. Loves_Shizuka

Leave Meryl and her voice alone! I admit, I was a bit surprised when I first heard her speak, simply because her voice doesn't match her exoticly ethereal face (IMO) but it doesn't matter. As someone who was teased ENDLESSLY for their voice (I was thought to be ridiculously "posh" all throughout school, and was pretty much mocked every time I opened my mouth for five years in school) I know this can be a very sensitive subject. It totally eroded my confidence and was the main reason I HATED school. And I know there's voice coaching n all that, but even if you did want to change your voice, it isn't that easy. God knows I tried. :( ANYWAY, I'm not gonna go all Oprah Winfrey on you all; I just think this is a subject too personal and too far, even for FSU.

Last edited: May 8, 2011