Post-Worlds Retirements

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Apr 30, 2011.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

So can we compile a list of the skaters who are retiring after Worlds/this season?

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Can we post suggestions? :shuffle:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Rachel Flatt

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I hope Gachinksi and Ando. I know, I am mean. :saint:

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

And updated by yours truly; it's spelled Rachael!

6. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ I concur. Rachael Flatt. I know her leg was bothering her, but honestly, her leg was worse at Skate America and she had a much better skate there. I am sick of waiting for the US ladies to get their act together and get three Worlds spots back.

7. millipied

millipied New Member

Best news ever, all Russian skaters will retire:)

8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Mao and Yuna?

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I would expect Mao, Yuna, Miki and Rachael to retire. But something tells me it's not going to happen.

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I thought Miki had said something about taking next season off? I can understand that. She's been skating at the international level for 10 years, and could go out on a high note.

More importantly - are the Van der Corkells going to retire? Finally? :p

11. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

I believe this was Kevin's last competition but as far as I know Jenna wants another go at Olympics. Depending on her health obviously. Why shouldn't she, she's still the best we have by far.

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I would be surprised if Mao retired - why go through this season of transition, reworking her jumps etc only to retire?

13. OlieRow

OlieRow Well-Known Member

Does Alissa plan to continue? (Please do!)

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

On the pbp free skate thread it says that she does plan to stay another year, great news.

That is a good point. I just think it would take a tremendous effort to improve in a meaningful way at this point. If she can do it, :cheer2: and :respec:

15. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Maybe Mao? At this point, I can't see her sticking around until Sochi. I know she's been reworking her technique, yadda yadda yadda, but honestly, she looked great in practice and then not-so-great during the actual competition. She's certainly not getting any help from the judges in regards to a world champion PCS boost.

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I suspect D/W. I would have also said V/M, but they probably don't want this to be their last season, since they practically didn't compete. And Worlds in 2 years are in Canada, so who knows. But D/W have achieved all there is, and with the Shibs coming up, it would seem like a good time to call it a career. And I'm sure both of them want to go back to school and finish their degrees.

17. Libertango

Libertango New Member

The Kerrs, Faiella/Scali

18. millipied

millipied New Member

LOL, that was before Worlds?:)

19. millipied

millipied New Member

So you think they have absolute no ambition or hopes for Olympic Gold?

20. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I'm sure they do, but that's 3 years away. And with the Shibs coming up fast (and Sam/Bates), 3 years is a long time. I'm sure D/W don't want to go the way of B/A. Everyone wants to go out on top. This seems like a good time. Remember, they have their college studies and future career goals that have nothing to do with skating, and they are 23/24 and have been at this for a long time.

21. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

D/W would be crazy not to, the three spots next year could be easily filled by Shibs, Sam/Bates and Chock/Zir...

Alissa would be crazy to retire... if it were her and Mirai and worlds I have to think they would have three spots for next year. She and Mirai would be a great world team next year....

22. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I don't see D&W retiring. Unless Charlie wants to go off and have babies with Tanith.

23. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

Mao, Yuna, Miki, Caroline, Alissa, Rachael. It's time please retire!!

24. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Fumie..... maybe not:lol:

25. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

IDK about D/W, wouldn't they want to make a push for Sochi? At least I hope they don't..but the US is clearly in good hands with the Shibs, C/Z, and Sam/Bates.

26. Lilith11

Lilith11 New Member

*crossing my fingers Mao and Yu-na won't retire*

27. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Eazzzeeeee on the :smokin:

28. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

YuNa
    Miki
    Mao
    Carolina
    Kira

They have all been around long enough.

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

NO WAY! I wouldn't mind seeing these five stay until Sochi. Korpi could be a world medalist if she got her flip and lutz straightened out.

30. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with those who say Davis & White will or should retire. The Shibutanis arent even close to them now, the point margins are still huge. Not to take anything away from the Shibutanis achievement, but their medal was only made possible by a disaesterous performance by the French, and even then they barely won it. P/B on a good day would have been miles above them, yet both D/W and V/M are in turn miles above a good P/B. It is by no means certain the Shibutanis would pass D/W by 2014, in fact I find it unlikely to happen. I still think I/K have more long range potential than the Shibutanis in fact.

Davis & White can and should pursue future golds and the 2014 Olympic Gold. They would be silly not to continue while in the prime of their careers, especialy in fear of a team who they are atleast 3 falls clear of right now

carolina and (deleted member) like this.