Post the Grand Prix Series, does Patrick Chan need a primary technical coach?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by bardtoob, Dec 10, 2012.

Post the Grand Prix Series, does Patrick Chan need a primary technical coach?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2013.
  1. Yes

103 vote(s)
    76.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Undecided. See me after Nationals.

21 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Krall fired him so I don't think they will work together again. I am sure there are many other technical coaches in CS or other places if Patrick think he needs to get one for the next season. Let's wait till Canadian Nationals to check his form.
    I would love it if going into 2013-2014 season, Patrick uses Lori for his SP, David for his LP (I think he will keep La Boheme as this program is still developing) and Buttle for his Ex.:)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. trevor

trevor New Member

Technocal miscues happended at the Nice World Competition, and not before.
    Why? We can trace back to his reported state of mind, that he wanted to quite skating, altogether, just before the Nice World!
    He did not lose a single competition for the whole 2011/2012 season, meaning he is tops, and reputed to have started a dynasty of his own!
    Why? As we all know, personal relationship/habit had changed dramatically! He had found love, with another human being! He threatened to quite because of his objection to strict closed training period before Nice, like a kid's sudden urge to have something! He was satisfied with his demand, and the consequences showed at the Nice Competition, only, and not before! Reason for that, is too obvious to point out and explain.

To all respects to Patrick as a excellent athelete, his technique and smooth edges are wonders to watch, but deep down, he is still a 21 year old, and have not experienced anything, being supported financially, and spiritually by his coaches/family/mom/dad.......

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Patrick turned 22 on New Years Eve.

4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I hope he had a lot of age appropriate fun. 22 is a good age to have fun.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Nice to see the video.. Vintage Chan - slip sliding his way to another title!

6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I think that most of you have not been to see skaters train live. In a lot of cases, the skaters hit the elements over and over again like it's nothing. In most cases its not an issue of technical ability but putting it together with the music, doing the moves the way the choreographer envisioned it and trying to perform for the crowd that can really cause a skater to fail. Of the champions I have seen train, i learned that they are in most cases better than what we see however there are a couple (one in mind specifically) who might benefit from having a "technical" coach. Also, I think that those terms are more appealing to the general public than actually relevant. A lot of people dont think of Tatiana Tarasova as a technical coach but if you ask skaters, they will tell you that she's as good as the next.

Off soap box

7. bek

bek Guest

I'm not sure how you compare Tarasova to Kathy Johnson. Tarasova may not have Mishin's reputation of being a great jump teacher. But she is a former skater, and clearly knows a thing or two about the art of skating. Her father too was a legendary hockey coach, and considering how successful Tarasova's students were, it looks like Tarasova has that too.

Patrick might as well be coachless. Patrick would have been much better of with Tarasova. (although I'm not sure program construction wise) because Tarasova would actually probably recognize quite a lot of things, he's doing wrong. And also given that she has experience with what it takes to well win championships, he might actually feel inclined to listen to her training advice...Seems to me part of this is Patrick wanting to do things Patrick's way...

(Asada would have been fine if she was with Tatiana full time... I suspect. Yagudin, Ilia etc certainly didn't regress under her)

What is the point of having a coach, if said coaches has no skating experience?

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

9. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

10. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  11. munow

munow New Member

After his main competitors struggled hard at 4CCs, I guess they can all be quite inconsistent. I think he'll be just fine. I just hope for a cleaner, better skated performance of his FS. It was a great pleasure to see him emotionally connect more to the music and to the audience. I would hate to see its potential wasted.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013