Possible Closure to Amelia Earhart's Disappearance

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Possibly died as a castaway.

I hope it is; I'm sure her surviving family members would be at peace. But what a way to go; on a deserted island, possibly injured and alone. Dying alone would have to be the worst part of it.

2. Icetalavista

Icetalavista Active Member

I'm finding this odd. Wouldn't the searchers have combed any islands in the general area of Howland island soon after she disappeared? They're just finding this now?

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I know, especially when the skeleton that fit Earhart's description was found in 1940 by the British. I am :confused: about that.

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Oh :(

According to Wikipedia they did search the area but not the island itself, apparently radio signals indicated a crash landing at sea.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

More speculation. She should of stayed home...

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I wonder if somewhere in Los Angeles she's waiting in a church with other souls from the island waiting to "move on". :shuffle:

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

With that reasoning no one would ever explore or push the boundaries of technology.

8. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

LOL, GK.

The castaway theory has been in play for a while now. And she wouldn't have necessarily died alone since she did have a navigator with her.

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wonder if he died before her, while searching the island for food or whatever, and died in the process. His remains still have not been found.

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

LOL! I hope this time the dog gets to go to the church

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

LOL Garden_Kitty. Good stuff.

12. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

A lot of good it did her... :scream:

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  13. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Or did anything really.

She should have stayed home? (to nubka) What would say about someone who got killed in their own home? Should have gone out that day? Seriously. :huh:

dupa and (deleted member) like this.
  14. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The woman was a pilot, but she wasn't psychic.

15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

They don't really say how old the bones that were found in 1940 are....so there's a chance that even if they were castaways, they still lived long lives(providing there were food sources.............who wants crab legs?)

16. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Yes mammy, you are so right. Thanks for posting! :p

Beefcake likes this.
  17. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Every year of her adult life was worth 10 years in life of some boring house-wife's life... Some people get to experience/see/accomplish in 1 year, what many people don't experience/see/accomplish in 20 years.....:p

18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Agreed. There is a difference between living life and being alive.

19. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I really hope they can solve this. Amelia was one of my first "idols" as a child; I read every book, every conspiracy theory, you name it. I even remember the Unsolved Mysteries episode on her :)

20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, and they also just did History/Military/whichever channel thing with some compelling evidence that she was in fact a prisoner of the Japanese (which would have been a very very bad thing and not conducive to long-term survival.) And there have been "discoveries" on the islands before that didn't pan out. It's probably just one of those mysteries.

By the way, her navigator was named Fred Noonan. One thing that always kind of got me is it's always "What happened to Amelia Earhart?" and maybe someone remembers to mention oh, and that guy with her. I'm sure his survivors wanted closure, too.

21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Given the fact that the island wasn't populated and the skeletal structure was that of a female of Northern European extraction, I'm thinking that it was her.

22. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

If the bones are her's, it means she lived less than three years as a castaway because she disappeared in 1937. Still preferable, I think, to being a Japanese POW.

I wonder if the navigator died in the initial crash and she was alone on the island. Very sad and scary for her if that's the case.

Just how big are coconut crabs? That article makes them sound pretty scary.

23. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

There was a PBS special on her several months ago, and one thing they discussed was Earhart's aversion to new technology--especially radar. She never bothered to learn how to use it, and the last wing of her flight was nearly impossible to fly without it. Instead, she brought on a navigator who could use radar. But at her last stop, they had a falling out and he walked out. So instead of waiting or bringing someone else on board who could use radar, she brought on Noonan instead.

Basically they were flying blind at the end. They had to land on a very small island to refuel, but the island was only about a mile wide. So it was very difficult to see it from the air. They ended up missing it by several miles, and were circling in the sky to try and find it when they ran out of fuel. If Earhart had used radar, she wouldn't have had any problems.

24. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Coconut Crabs are huge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It sounds as if she was a little hard-headed and stubborn. I recall reading an article about her that described her as "shy but arrogant". But she is in our history books, and deservedly so.

26. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

27. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Anthony Bourdain loved them when he at them on his Tahiti trip.

But then, he did eat warthog rectum.

28. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Living Saint...is that you...?

:lol:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  29. duane

duane New Member

Like the Black Dahlia case, I just don't think there will ever be closure in Amelia Earhart's disappearance. I think most likely, her plane crashed into the water.

30. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Anyone else noticing the parallels between Amelia and Abby Sunderland? Both on quests to go around the world to set some kind of a record or prove some kind of a point. Thankfully Abby's story has a happier ending.

I think it's part of our nature to want to push boundaries and be "the best" or "the first" or "the youngest" to do something. We're all fascinated with it. Otherwise there wouldn't be a market for the Guiness Book of World Records or an Olympic movement.

Stupid? Yeah, sometimes. A lot of what thrill seekers, record seekers and even athletes do defies any kind of logic or common sense.