Positively Polina! The Polina Edmunds Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 12, 2014.

1. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Very , very impressed with Polina! I wish her continued success

2. duane

duane New Member

I am totally impressed with this girl!! Even with the fall, I was mesmerized by her LP.

shine likes this.
  3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I think she will be our new Kwan and her excellent jump technique will carry her through teenage growth which will be mostly filling out her frame.

4. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I truly enjoyed her SP. She was very good and I hope to see bigger and better things from her in the next four years.

6. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

*Raises hand* I'm guilty of stating she should be sent to Jr. Worlds and Mirai should have been sent to Sochi. I'm glad no one listened to me.

Conversation I had with my partner the night of the Ladies LP: I wonder if she will eventually overtake Gracie ...

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

IMHO Polina is already ahead of Gracie artistically - and I question whether Gracie will ever skate with the conviction Polina already showed in Sochi.
    I like authenticity which is why I like Mirai so much. Choreographed smiles will never replace special, authentic moments on the ice.

I think Polina is the real deal - she may have to adjust as she grows but I see great purpose and poise in this girl.
    And I think she was underscored in Sochi - which is not surprising, let alone fair - but that is the status quo in the strange sport of COP skating.

shine likes this.
  8. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I don't think she will grow much taller but she will fill out

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She has already had a big growth spurt and managed to survive it and I hope the worst is behind her.

10. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I think it's absolutely possible. To me she's already a much better/more natural performer and artist and can connect with the audience. I was really impressed by Polina's big improvement in expression in her LP from nationals to the Olympics.

11. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

She really is lovely. :)

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Polina, Adelina, Julia and the adorable Radionova remind me that there is value in watching novices and juniors. They aren't a surprise to those who have done so. Many of them never have real senior success, but some of them do and it's fun to remember them when.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

At Nationals, I thought: 'The choreography makes sense in representing the music but she doesn't sell it enough and it falls a bit flat.' At Olympics, I thought that she really nailed it, performance wise. (Re: FS)

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Ok, don't kill me because there have been many comparisons made to Kwan since her retirement, but Polina Edmunds seriously reminds me of a 1993-1995 version of Kwan. Rough around the edges, but obvious potential to improve their line and attention to movement with a natural ability to feel the music even if her musical expression may not be obvious or in your face compared to her peers at time.

15. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

I'll tell you exactly who Polina reminds me of: Carolina Kostner in 2002-2003 in her last year as a junior, when she was about the same age Polina is now. I remember watching Carolina that year at a JGP event---gangly, all limbs, rough around the edges as said above, but really good jumps and "ice presence" beyond most of the other juniors. I told myself then "When that girl grows up, one day she is going to be a champion."

shine likes this.
  16. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I agree that Polina is very reminiscent of Carolina Kostner. No wonder she is my favorite US lady. :swoon:

17. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

She was very impressive in Sochi. I do not like it when she tries the Osmond type of spunky style, there's an element of akwardness there because she's forcing it more IMO. When she finds a program that really utilizes her beautiful lines and new way of graceful movement (Claire DeLune would be great on her), I think she will make a world podium very soon.

18. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I saw her skating for the first time at these Olympics (LP), and was so impressed. She's is so light yet powerful at the same time, and so expressive. What a breath of fresh air!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

20. Parsifal3363

Parsifal3363 New Member

In a few hours the Ladies Short Program will begin. The U.S. team arrived Sunday. The day before, Polina was performing community service, working as a cashier at a thrift store in San Jose. It is a quality she brings to her skating, where the music is much more than a device to keep time, but something to be given expression, something spiritual in nature.

At the nationals, she was described as a "15 year old phenom." Certainly her rise in the space of a year has been spectacular. With the competition in Saitama, she will be performing her breakthrough programs for the last time. The cha-cha medley for the short program is vivacious and quite a lot of fun, but the long program, set to the music of Grieg, has perhaps touched me more deeply than any figure skating performance ever has. Her development through it has been astonishing. At the beginning, it was a vehicle to demonstrate her technical skill and musicality. Now it is a fully nuanced artistic work. She no longer skates to the music, she is the music.

For one as young and talented as she is, the future must appear bright and almost limitless in its potential. In a recent interview, she said that she looks to new competitions and the memories they will bring, but that she will keep the memories of the Sochi Olympics forever.

Such is the heart, where all that is good and beautiful must always find a place. But such is wisdom, to know and cherish such things, whatever the tomorrows may bring.

21. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Could Polina be the Kimmie Meissner of 2014? She might end up more like the Carol Heiss of 1956!

22. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Polina skates brilliantly!!!!!!! She is the US's best hope for the next quad!!!!! Congratulations on a great first World's!!!!

23. alexikeguchi

alexikeguchi Active Member

Just got through watching the ladies' free skates, and Polina was fantastic. Along with Anna Pogorilaya, she is the most improved from the beginning of the season. She kept her lightness over the ice but put more conviction into her movements and finishing her lines. Her flow throughout the program was lovely, and her awkwardness was gone. Like Anna, she has only gotten more powerful through her growth spurt. She also seems to be the most stable competitor of the US ladies with never more than 1 big mistake per competition. I hope she can continue on this trajectory.

24. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

25. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I was vocal and disagreed with her placement at Nationals and the announcement to put her on both the worlds and Olympic team (and the Eurosport commentators ridiculed USFSA's decision to send someone who's untested and has such little senior exposure), but she did a really nice job at Worlds. Hopefully she can continue and this path and stays injury free until Pyeongchang.

26. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I like Polina and think she has a chance to become a very good skater for USA.
    But to compare her to Carol Heiss is just silly. Carol is one of the greatest Lady skaters in history.

27. bek

bek Guest

I felt the USFSA had nothing to lose and everything to gain by sending her. Its on them that she had little Senior exposure, she should have been on the JGP last year, and then maybe in Seniors this year. It was their error. But I thought after she won TES at the JGPF, that Polina might very well find herself on the world and Olympic team. The competition there was :eek: and the US needed to start promoting girls who could compete with the coming Russians. Nagasu, Gao, Cesario-that wasn't happening.

And keeping her in Juniors wasn't going to help her. The goal of sending her this year was exposure and experience to set her up for the next couple of years.

I didn't see the point of sending Nagasu instead. Polina's stronger technically and more consistent. Also its not like Mirai's getting huge PCS internationally. I expected Polina's pcs to improve from Seniors and be around what Nagasu was getting-and I was right.

If Polina screwed up and didn't handle it well, okay, but we won't know until they send her.

Sure its not ideal the Olympics was her first Senior international competition, but that was USFSA's idiocy by not sending her to the JGP last year. It didn't mean it was wise to keep her in juniors. Especially with the level Juniors is at right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

USFS not sending her to JGP last season was definitely a huge, huge mistake. Then they topped if off by not selecting her for Junior Worlds either.

I was expecting her to do a little better at Olympics and Worlds but all things considered, she seems to be in a pretty decent place right now. She had mistakes in the SP but she fought for and mostly rotated the 3-3 combination and both the FS were quite strong, especially the one at Worlds.

Another reason to despise them even more. :mad:

29. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Polina had only one downgrade in her worlds free skate - the connecting 1loop. And IIRC, she had highest TES score of the night, just barely edging out Pogo. I actually think the USFSA made the right call to send her to worlds and Olympics.

30. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

The Carolina comparison is obvious with the never ending limbs. The kwan comparison is interesting. I guess one similarity I see in the two at a young age is a commitment to every movement. Nothing is a throw away move for either of them.

shine likes this.