Positively Polina! The Polina Edmunds Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me at all of Polina places the highest of the US ladies.
    She's just hasn't done it before because she's never had the chance to in an international competition.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'm still not over her not being sent to JGP last season. :drama: :p

3. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

She may have the fearless qualities that sometimes come with youth - but does anyone think she will get the PCS needed to finish top 10?

Perhaps Polina will outskate Wagner and Gold in Sochi- but in a sport like figure skating will she be judged fairly?
    I doubt it but hope I am wrong and wish her the best of luck.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

How old were you the first time? I find it much easier to do this as an adult than when I was a child or an adolescent.

The fact that you have that much intercontinental travel experience and so little belief that someone else might have jet lag speaks volumes.

5. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I don't think there is anyway that Polina could be the top US lady barring major, MAJOR, Men's Oly FS-levels of meltdowns from Ashley and Gracie, lol. Polina has a really fun short, but her free is just not up to snuff. It wasn't when you stacked it against the US ladies at Nationals, and will be even more evident here.

Anyway, that being said, I wish her the very, very best of luck in her senior international debut! May she skate with joy and confidence and have an amazing experience. :)

6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Nice 5-minute profile of Polina Edmunds in this morning's TODAY show. It's about time that she gets a little publicity too.

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Yes, her "body of work" demands it! :lol:

Just kidding, but honestly, international respect is something that is earned, not given on a "silver" platter at an event as dubious as US Natls. Don't believe me just ask Rachael Flatt ;)

I do hope Polina skates her best and that should be more than enough for a Junior skater with no major Intl Junior titles making her senior Intl debut at the Olympics.

Best of luck to Polina. Like I said it would not surprise me if she has the highest placement of the US Ladies in Sochi.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

I do think that part of the reason that Frank Carrol has been so outspoken in his criticism of Julia's PCS scores in the team event is that he is concerned that there are several "youngsters" that could beat his new pupil!! Talking down Julia's PCS scores in the team event is just another way of also talking down Polina getting any high PCS scores in the individual events. Julia and Polina are both only 15, and Frank is trying to undermine Julia's PCS scores by dwelling on her age. Trying to beat down the fact that, in his opinion, they are young, inexperienced, etc. and therefore should not be receiving high PCS. Not very becoming of him. Go Polina!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. lulu

lulu New Member

Isn't Frank Carroll also one of Polina's coaches?

10. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

11. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

12. suki

suki New Member

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this girl (I have to shout, sorry). Just saw her short. She is brilliant. Love the ice dancing moves (thank, Marina Klimova!). I said I would not lose my heart to another skater after Michelle and Davis & White, but Polina has made a liar out of me.

13. crs

crs New Member

14. demetriosj

Wow! Polina is within striking distance of a medal!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I feel she actually should have ended up higher than she did, but surprised the judges didn't hold her back more than they did!!

She easily could have been in the final 6 group for LP.

15. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

She is the future

shine likes this.
  16. demetriosj

You sound like Frank Carrol!! Why can't she be the now?!!

17. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Maybe because Frank knows the judges can only hold up so many skaters and Polina is too new to be getting favors.

I thought Polina did great today and hope she has her best skate tomorrow. If she moves up here it could help her a lot at Worlds.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Predictably, her marks have been a little low-balled given skating early and her lack of reputation. Shame about her combination although given the lack of flow out of the lutz, it was a very gutsy 3/3 attempt. But she did very well and I think that all the choreographic detail in her program was lovely. She needs to work on controlling her limbs better but the movement was in character of the music and there were things like arm and hip movements characteristic of Latin ballroom dances.

I hope she can manage to avoid < in the FS and hang on to a top 10 placement.

19. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

Way to go, Polina! I love that she just lit it up like she had nothing to lose (which she doesn't, this is about getting her feet wet).

20. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Amazing performance from Polina today! So proud!!:respec:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She should be really proud of herself. A job very well done.

I was amazed by how much choreographic detail, in character of the music, there was in her FS. Just like in her SP. There is a very solid foundation in place and I hope her team develops and polished it further. Stronger posture and lines would be good to see for a start.

So much for everybody who criticised her selection on the grounds that she has 'no senior experience' and would most likely implode under the pressure. :rolleyes:

shine likes this.
  23. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I predikted her for the Olympic Team long before Nationals. Speed, basics, & consistency never loses.

Depending on how the chips fall, she can medal at Worlds as soon as this year. Post Olympic Worlds Craziness Wheeeeee!!!!

24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Beautiful job by Polina, she was simply a vision out there, can just imagine how much greater she'll get in the next quadrennial. :smokin:

shine likes this.
  25. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

This young lady has so much talent. What a pleasure to watch.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

The best thing about Polina is that she has the basics. Great speed, great jumps that are fully rotated, correct entrances into the jumps, ability to handle full choreography, and she has a solid ground to improve her arm movements, posture, and line. I have no doubt that she'll be paced correctly with the team that's behind her. I also love that she's going to put Marina Klimova on the map when it comes to singles skating. Like Ziggy, I saw a lot of nuances in her routine and I do find her carriage to have the potential to be quite balletic. She just needs more time to work on it.

shine likes this.
  27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I simply cannot wait to witness the maturation of Polina Edmunds in the coming years. She has now become my favorite US lady and I love the rapport she has with her coach and how even tempered and consistent she is in competition. She is surprisingly mature for someone so young and I am liking her personality the most of the US ladies. I love her long balletic lines; now she needs to learn to finish and polish all of her movements to deliver the most beautiful pictures she is capable of. I loved how she incorporated a twizzle into her choreography and the fact she works with Marina Klimova also adds to her appeal. Plus, the more I see of her coach David Glenn, the more I adore him too. They are both so cute! GO POLINA!!! :encore::swoon::cheer2:

shine likes this.
  28. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

29. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

:respec:

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Her PCS have already miraculously increased overnight from 6.71-7.21 in the SP to 7.29-7.61 in the FS. ;)

So yes, I hope that having a top ten Olympics finish under her belt (in very good style as well) will mean her GOE and PCS marks will become more in line with other top skaters at Worlds.