Positively Polina! The Polina Edmunds Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 12, 2014.

1. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

I don't know, does the Fed. pay for multiple flights, hotels, etc. ? If not, maybe it's a matter of finances? (Also, she attends a brick and mortar high school full-time.)
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well, that's what I said about flights, maybe fed only pays once. She'd be able to stay in the village, so hotel is moot except if her parents also come (fed does not pay for them).

I doubt it is school since she is supposedly in Europe.
  3. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Polina didn't take part in the opening ceremonies? Why would she pass up a once in a lifetime event like that? It's not like she's a favorite to medal plus Gracie took time from her training to walk in the ceremony and she had ti compete 2 days later.
  4. demetriosj

Well, perhaps it is a financial issue, as we have been discussing.
  5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

According to this, her dad is CFO at Inphi - I just looked at the company's executive compensation disclosures here, and he seems to be doing pretty well. He even used his miles to upgrade her flight to first-class, so if he really wanted to fly her to Sochi for the opening ceremonies and back to Munich, I think he could have done it. It just seems like Polina and/or her mother wasn't interested.
  6. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Edmunds family is not in any way lacking for funds. Her mother Nina is pretty intense and I imagine wants her to stay in Munich and train train train, so as to not be distracted by the Olympic media just yet.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Because unlike worn out Gracie Gold who is putting all of her efforts and energy into homosexual revolution instead of her practices, Polina Edmunds is in Sochi to compete and not to engage in political propaganda. ;)

Or well, actually in Munich where she's laying low and training hard in peace and quiet. The Ladies are competing at the end of the Olympics and USFS didn't pick her for the team event so no need for her to travel to Sochi just yet.
  8. demetriosj

9. Skittl1321

I think you are meaning to insult Wagner, not Gold.

I didn't realize the opening ceremonies were political propaganda. Many skaters go to the ceremonies and then leave the next day to go back to train wherever they are locating themselves. It just seems like a surprising thing to miss. Oh well, I'm sure she had her reasons.
  10. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

11. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Yeah I did notice Polina was missing when I was with the athletes. Only saw Gracie, Jeremy, and Maia actually.
  12. MadChemist

MadChemist New Member

This is meant to be sarcastic, right? If so, well done. If not, there is so very much wrong here...
  13. Skittl1321

Yes, the Onion is a satire magazine.
  14. Skittl1321

Alex, Jason (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf_vF_AIQAA0bJo.jpg), Felicia, and Nathan (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf5CpnRCMAA_6_W.png:large) were there too.

Ashley skipped. I don't know what M/C did officially. I saw them dressed up in the outfits, but don't know if they went to the ceremony. Not sure about C/S, I think they skipped it too. They all had a competition the next day.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It was obviously a joke... I even put a ';)' smiley at the end of the sentence in case it wasn't clear enough. :p

(And yes, of course I meant Wagner)
  16. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Come on Ziggy. You know you have to use the sarcasm tag.

[sarcasm]
    Julia and Plushy absolutely deserved the PCS they received in the team event. [/sarcasm]

:p
  17. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

18. Cheylana

I don't understand the point of Polina taking three weeks off school so she can train in Germany and Austria. She might as well trained from home (and continued to attend classes) until maybe a week before the competition, then moved camp to Graz (adjust to time zone, etc.), and then flown into Sochi 1-2 days before the ladies short program. All so she can finish 6-10 in the ladies event.

ETA: Actually, I just had another thought on why train in Germany and Austria instead of continue to train in Cali. Maybe the USFS might have wanted her close by in case she was ultimately needed for the team event. It also allowed her to interact more with the other Olympic teammates, since the US ladies all met up and continued to train in Graz for a bit. Anyway, hope their strategy is successful and Polina skates well.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yeah and i don't understand her not attending the opening ceremonies either. That's a once in a lifetime thing you don't want to miss. It's not like she was skating in the team competition.
  20. demetriosj

Why do you keep bringing this up? Are you worried she might shake up things a bit?!

Plus, this is a Polina cheer thread.
  21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Have you ever been a fifteen-year-old traveling halfway around the world?

Edmunds lives in California. The time difference between there and Sochi is twelve hours. It can take a long time for a child or adolescent to adjust to such a big time change. If she can, why not go to Germany and Austria (nine hours earlier than California) and acclimate?
  22. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I just find it odd that she made it all the way out to Europe awhile ago, but didn't actual go into Sochi for the Opening Ceremony. Doesn't really make a ton of sense, but hey, I'm not her coaching staff.
  23. Cheylana

I doubt a 15-year-old needs to skip school in favor of hanging out in a nearby country for two weeks just to recover from jetlag.
  24. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect she's been studying when she's not on the ice. That's what any number of her predecessors have done.

ETA: You really haven't ever traveled by plane across an ocean, have you?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  25. zoe111

zoe111 Member

Actually, as someone whose work requires a lot of travel, I can tell you she would need that time. I commuted from central time zone to the UK every 2 weeks for 11 months last year for a project. It takes about a day per hour of time zone change to acclimate - is the standard. So for a 12 hour time zone difference, she'd need 12 days. She's got her schoolwork with her I'm sure and since most of her competitors of school age are home schooled, she's doing the right thing. It IS the Olympics after all.
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Edmunds isn't home-schooled, actually.
  27. Cheylana

Many trips to Europe and twice to Australia. I was totally fine after a day or two. But whatever, good luck to Polina.
  28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You weren't performing competitive figure skating programs though. ;)
  29. Cheylana

I knew that would be the retort! :)
  30. suki

suki New Member

Add me to the list of Polina fans. This young women has really impressed me with her talent. You can talk about Julia L, Gracie, et al, as long as you want. For me, Polina is the real deal. I haven't been this excited about a female skater since I saw Michelle Kwan at World's 1994. She and Polina have that same "eye of the tiger" that just promises even greater days to come. Forgot about artist versus athlete. She has it all. I also cannot wait to see how she develops under the guidance of the Titan-haired goddess of the ice, Marina Klimova, whom I adore. Oh the magic these two are capable of creating together!
  31. demetriosj

Were you also taking a full load of studies (not home-schooling, or on-line school) at a brick and mortar high school when you made these many trips?! While at the same time competing at an international level?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  32. demetriosj

Indeed she has! Go Polina!!!!
  33. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

Polina has the attitude of a Champion. (From video clips i've seen of her. Might not be the most likeable but she's a fighter) I really can't hate on her because she was chosen to go to the Olympics.

I think she's very talented. I'm rooting for her.
  34. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

In school sequence that lasts 12-13 years, taking 3-4 weeks out of one of those years is not a big deal in the larger scheme of things. I've found that at least in the USA, most high-level competitive skaters are also very good students and know how to make best use of time, and are conscientious about either doing lessons, assignments, and exams in advance or as make-ups. I don't see what the fuss is about.
  35. Cheylana

Ok, ok, uncle already! Go back to cheering. :)
  36. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Im ok going from Australia to the UK, but back to Australia kills me. Bed for dayyyyssss.
  37. Parsifal3363

Parsifal3363 New Member

There is such a refreshing grace and innocence to Polina Edmunds, but also a certain reserve and self-reflection, as though each movement on the ice is not merely the result of hours of practice and repetition, but something found, just then, something that is new and beautiful. I've heard her interviewed and she is very much like any girl her age, if a little more serious, but her face is shadowed by an emerging awareness that will be more apparent in the woman she becomes. It is the source of her enchantment with the music she dances to.

Her short and long programs are most becoming, the short program showing off her technical skill and sense of fun, while the long program is achingly romantic. The excerpts from Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt" are especially well chosen, the poignant yearning of "Solveig's Song" leading into the growing exultation of "Morning." Interestingly, however, the order of the pieces has been inverted from how they appear in the Grieg suite, where "Solveig's Song" is last and "Morning" is first. This lends a wonderfully cathartic effect, as in the lines from the Psalm, "Weeping endureth for a night, but joy comes in the morning."

The choreography of the long program also provides a great opportunity for self-expression. Possibly that's why her performance at the U.S. Championships was so much stronger, even with a fall, than it was at the Junior Grand Prix Finals just a month earlier. It is an aspect that makes her skate at the Olympics so intriguing, for as she is more and more able to reveal the music, she more and more reveals herself.

As to her winning a medal, this may turn on whether the judges can put aside political considerations and their preconceptions, and simply allow their minds to mediate between their hearts and what they experience.

If they can, then I believe that all will be well for Polina.

My prayers are with her, at any rate.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  38. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I saw Polina today! She was going into the training rink.
  39. demetriosj

Polina has the most difficult program of the three American ladies, even though she is the youngest. If she skates clean, and judging is fair (not holding my breath), she should be held in good stead!!!!!
  40. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

Polina is my favorite of the 3 US ladies competing at the Olympics. Wishing her all the best.

Would love to see her pull a 2006 Meissner. Good placement at Olympics - even better placement at Worlds. And noone expecting it.