Positively Polina! The Polina Edmunds Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 12, 2014.

1. marmalade

marmalade Hiding Johnny's Birkins

Her high school, Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, threw her a Congratulations, Olympian! party on Tuesday that made the local news yesterday morning. Despite the attention from the student body, she interviews very modestly and age-appropriately. She appears to be very grounded in all aspects of her life.

I wish her the best in Sochi.
  2. zoe111

zoe111 Member

3. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

4. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Awesome to see she is still going to regular school!
  5. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

!!!!Kudos to her! Makes it twice as hard to train while attending a brick and mortar school!!!!!Polina for gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

7. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

A couple of Qs about the youngest member of the USA figure skating team:

1. Can Polina realistically earn a 'top 10' spot in Sochi?

2. What, if any, will be the impact of Polina's Russian heritage on Russian skating audiences? Help her? Hurt her? No impact?
  8. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

1. Yeah sure, maybe top 7.
    2. I think they will be in tears before she skates. It will deeply impact them and make them want to invite her over for a Russian heritage meal as a reward for her heritage. I feel that Leprechauns impact the audiences of the Irish no matter where they go in the world. They are like look at that guy, he's probably Irish, he made an impact on me. :40beers:

Are the Olympics here yet?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I hope you're right, Karpenko!
  10. demetriosj

Does Polina have any siblings?
  11. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I've loved Polina for years. She's one of the skaters who will make it through the next couple of years just fine because she's got good basic technique. I think the next quad is going to be so exciting for fans of ladies skating with the wealth of young Russian skaters and Polina and Gracie. Most of the time I'm sad when a quad ends because you sort of have to start over, but not this time. I'm really looking forward to watching which of these young women will reach the top. I think it is very possible for Polina to be top 10 at Sochi.
  13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If she's near clean, she should place somewhere near the podium.
  14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

She has two brothers, one older and one younger. The oldest plays hockey at Tilton in New Hampshire.
  15. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

What made me fall for Polina was watching her feet and seeing her wonderful and precise edges. I suppose with Klimova as a coach I shouldn't be surprised, but it's Polina's skating skills that impress me the most. She gets wonderful lift on her jumps and she's a good spinner, but it's the way she works her blade on the ice that is really impressive to me.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I don't think Klimova really coaches Polina much, she just choreographed the programs. Polina's mom Nina and David Glynn are her two main coaches. For a while last season she was taking a lesson from Frank Carroll on Sundays, but I don't think that is still happening.
  17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Thanks for that detail. Well at least one of her coaches has done a great job with her basic skating skills.

Anyone know who will be accompanying her to Sochi as her official coach? I think they're limited to one - can anyone confirm?
  19. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Tara Modlin
  20. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

God help her. :scream:
  21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Why? She did a fantastic job with Johnny Weir.
  22. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Yes, Weir has certainly been quite successful. Whether that was because of or despite Modlin, I don't know.
  23. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. :) I was reluctant to watch this at first because the word "rally" in your description of it made me think of those awful days from my high school career where we were brought into the gym and forced to scream, "WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO, WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, HOW ABOUT YOU?!?!?!?!?!"

This is nothing like that, both Brandi and Kerri's speeches were funny, articulate, and so genuine and sweet (but not too sappy IMO) that I literally had tears in my eyes after watching. :)
  24. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

Answering my own question, based on this tweet pic it looks like David Glynn at the very least will be with Polina.

OT but didn't realize that the coaches get all that Olympics swag as well. Sweet!
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

'swag'
  26. demetriosj

Here's hoping Polina will skate two clean programs!!!!!What would the judges do? She's just at the right age (historically) to win the gold!!!
  27. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Love the pic. I am one of those who likes that over the top sweater-jacket and Polina pulls it off like a model.

I am expecting great things from her in Sochi. Huge talent, too young to know fear - a perfect Olympic situation. Go, Polina!

ETA: If Tara Modlin is her agent, will I get to see Polina in NJ? Tara M seems to be based around my area.
  28. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

She's an unknown skater coming into an event chock full of veterans and favorites. Two clean programs should definitely keep her in the top 10 but I can't see her getting higher than 6th or 7th; the field is just too deep this year. In order for her to win gold the event would have to be an unmitigated disaster with basically all of the top contenders falling to pieces.

The best thing Polina can do is have fun. If she turns in two good performances it will help when she goes to worlds next month. With so many of the top competitors retiring, a great showing at the Olympics should sway the judges to bypass some of the wait-your-turn-for-PCS withholding that most newbies are subjected to. Just look at Mirai's PCS from her SP to her FS in Vancouver, then look at her SP score from worlds...if she'd replicated her FS from Vancouver, she might have medaled if not won worlds that year. The judges gave her the green light but she couldn't deliver.

If Polina seizes this opportunity, she could set herself up very nicely for this next quad...
  29. demetriosj

Yes, she could set herself up quite nicely!

Aren't both of her programs the most technically difficult, at least of the three American ladies?
  30. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Was Polina in the opening ceremonies? I didn't see any pics of her there?
  31. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Go Polina!!!! :cheer2: :cheer: I have a thing for under-the-radar-skaters, and she is of much better technical and performance quality than both Russian girls, IMO. (That LP isn't a great vehicle though :shuffle:)
  32. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

She may not be in Russia yet? I'm not sure. The ladies singles event doesn't start till a little under two weeks, if you can believe it. It's not like she'd be getting practice ice right now as the other athletes have priority. Of course, the Shibs and C/B don't compete for 1 1/2 weeks as well, and they're in Russia. Not sure. Does anyone know if Polina has actually traveled yet?

ETA: Looks like she was in Germany as of yesterday.
  33. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

The Olympics are a once in a lifetime opportunity. Who knows where Polina will be in 4 years and with her Russian heritage, I think it would have been an amazing experience to march in the opening ceremonies. I really hope she did get to march with the rest of team USA.
  34. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If she skated two clean programs, she'd definitely be higher than that.
  35. demetriosj

Go Polina!! Any new Polina at the Olympics news?
  36. CCC

CCC New Member

My understanding is that Gracie and Ashley will be meeting up with Polina in Austria. Frank Carroll will be staying in Sochi with Dennis Ten.
  37. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Bummer that Polina didn't get to march in the opening ceremonies. I know she's serious about going for the gold, but still....
  38. Skittl1321

I wonder why she didn't come in for them. It wouldn't have cut her training much. Unless the fed. won't pay for multiple flights and she couldn't afford it.
  39. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that decision was left up to Polina and her team.
  40. Skittl1321

I'm sure it was. It is always the athlete's choice. I just wonder why she chose not to come.