Positively Polina! The Polina Edmunds Cheer Thread

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Frau Muller, Jan 12, 2014.

1. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I like Polina. She has so much potential! I hope puberty is kind to her because I really think she could be a serious threat for a medal in 2018. She has the jumps, the musicality and the programs to be a contender. Plus, she seems to be able to handle pressure pretty well (something missing from so many U.S. ladies).

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

That's OK. I could barely see makeup; that's why I asked. I remember the dramatic change on Kwan when she became Salome at 15 or 16...most folks were delighted. I'm a big Polina fan, regardless. Hey, I started this thread.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Salome is analogous with seduction. I'd expect a person to be well-made up to skate to that. Polina's music doesn't require her to look like that- her short is more 'fun' her long I don't really know how to characterize, it's kind of dramatic, but she looks angelic.

4. Frau Muller

I agree about the LP - angelic. The SP is 'hot Latina,' though. Maybe that yellow dress gives her enough color, LOL!

5. Skittl1321

Maybe it's because she is so young, but I don't see "hot Latina"- I see "fun and dancey". If she was 19 with the same music, I'd expect a slightly different performance quality, and that I would expect to be hot.

6. Frau Muller

It's Latin - If ever there was a genre of music for which a lady piles-on the make-up that is it. Radionova is very young but see her make-up in her Latin FS, for example. Maybe just a little more color on Polina for the SP; not as much as Radionova. :)

7. Skittl1321

But Radionova looks ridiculous; though that is mostly her costume's fault.
    I'm glad Polina didn't fall into that trap of thinking she has to pile on the make-up.

(And to be fair to Radionova- she is not wearing much makeup in her FS. http://web.icenetwork.com/assets/images/6/9/2/62005692/cuts/elena_radionova_3nkas4ok_6acpwdmv.jpg it is actually quite similar to Edmunds: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f26...-Skating-US-Championships-Ladies-Shor-002.jpg)

8. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Polina was absolutely delightful to watch at Nationals and has improved so much recently. I hope she continues to improve and do well. :)

9. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

Yes, Polina's coach is fine!

10. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

The only thing I'd like to see her improve is her hair. Just a tad more style would do.

11. marmalade

marmalade Stalking Cizeron's Instagram

Her high school, Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, threw her a Congratulations, Olympian! party on Tuesday that made the local news yesterday morning. Despite the attention from the student body, she interviews very modestly and age-appropriately. She appears to be very grounded in all aspects of her life.

I wish her the best in Sochi.

12. zoe111

zoe111 Active Member

13. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

14. Skittl1321

Awesome to see she is still going to regular school!

15. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

!!!!Kudos to her! Makes it twice as hard to train while attending a brick and mortar school!!!!!Polina for gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

17. Frau Muller

A couple of Qs about the youngest member of the USA figure skating team:

1. Can Polina realistically earn a 'top 10' spot in Sochi?

2. What, if any, will be the impact of Polina's Russian heritage on Russian skating audiences? Help her? Hurt her? No impact?

18. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

1. Yeah sure, maybe top 7.
    2. I think they will be in tears before she skates. It will deeply impact them and make them want to invite her over for a Russian heritage meal as a reward for her heritage. I feel that Leprechauns impact the audiences of the Irish no matter where they go in the world. They are like look at that guy, he's probably Irish, he made an impact on me. :40beers:

Are the Olympics here yet?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Frau Muller

I hope you're right, Karpenko!

20. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Does Polina have any siblings?

21. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

22. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I've loved Polina for years. She's one of the skaters who will make it through the next couple of years just fine because she's got good basic technique. I think the next quad is going to be so exciting for fans of ladies skating with the wealth of young Russian skaters and Polina and Gracie. Most of the time I'm sad when a quad ends because you sort of have to start over, but not this time. I'm really looking forward to watching which of these young women will reach the top. I think it is very possible for Polina to be top 10 at Sochi.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

If she's near clean, she should place somewhere near the podium.

24. reese

reese Well-Known Member

She has two brothers, one older and one younger. The oldest plays hockey at Tilton in New Hampshire.

25. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What made me fall for Polina was watching her feet and seeing her wonderful and precise edges. I suppose with Klimova as a coach I shouldn't be surprised, but it's Polina's skating skills that impress me the most. She gets wonderful lift on her jumps and she's a good spinner, but it's the way she works her blade on the ice that is really impressive to me.

shine, Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I don't think Klimova really coaches Polina much, she just choreographed the programs. Polina's mom Nina and David Glynn are her two main coaches. For a while last season she was taking a lesson from Frank Carroll on Sundays, but I don't think that is still happening.

27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thanks for that detail. Well at least one of her coaches has done a great job with her basic skating skills.

Anyone know who will be accompanying her to Sochi as her official coach? I think they're limited to one - can anyone confirm?

29. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Tara Modlin

30. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

God help her. :scream: