Portland Mall Shooting: 3 dead, including shooter; 1 seriously injured

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, Dec 12, 2012.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2012/12/clackamas_town_center_shooting_3.html

There are quite a few FSUers who are from Portland and surrounding areas. I hope everyone and their loved ones are safe.

2. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's the mall where the rink Tonya Harding trained at is at. I've skated there and I bet a lot of FSUers have, too.

3. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

I took my first lesson there. The rink is gone now.

This is just so surreal, my heart goes out to the families and friends of the victims.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

What shocking, awful news. Is there no place safe? :(

5. Whitneyskates

Whitneyskates Well-Known Member

You know, I don't want to get into the gun control debate or sound insensitive, but is it really shocking at this point? I'm sad because it's no longer shocking to hear this type of news.

It's terrible that this happened during the holidays. My heart breaks for the victims' families.

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

The shootings took place in the food court, where the rink used to be. I skated in the grand opening of the mall/rink in 1981, in a number with Richard Dwyer (along with about five other teen girls), and that rink was my primary one throughout my teens, and again in my 20s doing dance and adult FS. Even without the rink, thats still the closest mall to my house and we visit there semi-regularly. It's stunning - tragic. Unbelievable.

ETA: That was also the rink where I first started trial judging, and whee I judged my last test session before hanging it up. And my last competition as a skater before '96 Adult Nationals. It's been miserable seeing the food court in place of "my" rink, but now it seems so much worse. Is it inevitable to miss the "good old days" as we get older?

It still really hasn't sunk in. I was just over in that area yesterday.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

It's shocking to me. :( :( :(

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

(((Jasmar)))

I saw this on TV last night when I got home. I have always thought of Oregon as one of the more progressive states in our country. It is shocking to see gun violence there. My sympathies to those who lost loved ones.

To some extent I am with Whitneyskates. These things have become too frequent and too common. Still, when it happens, it still shocks me.

Unfortunately gun control will never happen, with the politics being the way they are, and people not willing to give up their 'right to carry guns'. It's beyond ridiculous to me.

9. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

New York magazine did a list of "mass" shootings from Columbine to the "Batman" movie shooting in Aurora. We are talking about a gunman (men) who just go somewhere and start shooting. They had to put it in a practically microscopic font in order to get the list on one page. I am not surprised at all.