Pope Francis

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rjblue, Sep 27, 2013.

1. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Francis just excommunicated a priest who supported female priesthood and the LGBT community.

So much for him 'exceeding even our optimistic hopes.'

Don't get fooled!

3. rjblue

I didn't expect this papacy to move in any kind of inclusive direction after how horridly dogmatic John Paul II and Benedict were. Pope Francis is actually taking small steps.

I looked it up. The priest who was excommunicated resigned during Pope Benedict's era, and then continued to act as a priest, and his heresy included throwing away consecrated hosts. It sounds like Pope Francis just rubber stamped something that had been an issue for a while.

4. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

A protestant man said in response to my stating that the Pope wanted to be more accepting of birth control and the gay lifestyle, by saying "Oh, he's probably hoping people would give more money ..."

5. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

The priest also apparently "ordained" women. Even if the church were to decide that women could be ordained next week, a priest cannot ordain anyone. He would have been in trouble for ordaining men as well. There was also something about a consecrated host being fed to a dog, although it sounds like no one was sure if it had been consecrated or not. Basically, a bunch of issues beyond the ones in the headlines.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

To warrant actively getting excommunicated, you have to make a COLOSSAL pest of yourself. I don't think speaking out for women priests is generally enough. (Now, latent excommunication, ie excommunicating yourself via action, is easy.)

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Bad on me, I should have looked up that issue in more detail.

But yeah being more liberal than JPII and Benedict isn't hard. :D

8. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

So much for practice what you preach eh? :rolleyes:

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

This reminds of The Onion in their American Voices feature.One woman's reaction to the Pope having a message of compassion rather than condemnation responded with, “So I can’t hate gays but I also can’t be gay? What’s left?”

Sometimes, satire is bang-on.

10. PDilemma

11. rjblue

Yes, that is the same link that I posted when I started this thread. The actual actions, and steps he is taking to effect real change in the church, are what is raising my hopes.

12. PDilemma

:slinkaway

Your link never opened for me no matter what I did...which is the fault of my ancient computer and outdated browser. So I had no idea it was the same story. Sorry.

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  13. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Like many others, I hope that his positive statements and persona, lead to substantive action.

14. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I am not even Catholic, but I just love that man. I hope he doesn't let me down. He seems a breath of fresh air in the Church.

sk8pics and (deleted member) like this.
  15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Pope is a leader whose attitudes and positions influence many faiths.
    I hope that Francis will be able to lead the Church forward; in light of recent knowledge/scholarship on social and spiritual issues that affect all of us.

16. sailornyanko

sailornyanko New Member

I like him, he will do good forcing bling priests to stop the pork barrel spending which will probably be the mark of his papacy. He seems to wish to tone down the tone of you will go to hell if you use birth control, they know catholicism is dying in Latin American and Europe.

However catholic dogma won't budge much, last week they held an official conference that divorced catholics cannot have comulgation unless they pay them $ for a religious annulment.

17. PDilemma

Uh...what?

The pope has called an Extraordinary Synod to take place next year to discuss marriage and family issues. It is expected that the issue of divorce and remarriage will be a key topic, but no decisions have been made.

18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Pope Replaces Conservative U.S. Cardinal on Influential Vatican Committee

:duh:

Really, now! What on Earth did the Cardinal think he was doing saying something like that in an interview? Oh, well, I guess that he'll have lots of time to talk about "that" now that he has fewer job responsibilities. :shuffle:

19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

:lol: I'm currently reading "On Heaven and Earth," a book that is a conversation between Pope Francis (before he was Pope) and a rabbi friend of his. It's very clear that he is absolutely opposed to both abortion and gay marriage. (He's also a traditionalist when it comes to discussing women being priests and priests being celibate - though it appears that he's willing to let some of these priests slip up a bit as long as there are no children involved -- as sexual victims or as products of the broken vows.) But it is also clear that he thinks people are generally too judgmental and dogmatic. His concern for the poor (especially the exploited working poor) is also apparent, though I have yet to learn of his Marxism. ;)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/dec/15/pope-francis-marxist-ideology-wrong/

I think it's good that he's be able to get people to think and talk about the poor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/pope-francis-poor-rome_n_4412540.html

After all Jesus didn't talk about homosexuality or abortion, but did talk about the poor and the sick, and he didn't even charge for his healing services. ;)

20. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I love that man. And I am afraid that he will be taken out like Pope John Paul 1. (yeah, I said it, JMO)
    The establishment doesn't like changes or original thoughts.

21. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I'm an atheist and I absolutely love Pope Francis. :saint:

22. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I'm not Catholic, but sometimes on my way home from school I listen to a talk show on Catholic radio. I find it fascinating to listen to people who are so different from me, I guess. Anyway, the host was talking about Francis (and the host is huge admirer), but was puzzled by the fact that 31% of Catholics who identify as "strongly conservative" politically disapproved of Pope Francis.

I was puzzled that he was puzzled. :)